User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2008, 03:03 PM   #1
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,695
What is up with all the TOP BOXES?

How do they affect the handling (ride) of the bike?

Don't you know those things are ugly? I know they can be handy and all... I am not trying to pick a fight or anything...but I just witnessed an HP2 with one and wanted to.

Now there are some that look better than others so I am going to go with the ugly scale. (a modified version of the Wiley scale for men’s boots... Wiley, you know who you are you yodeling maniac)

So as I see it there is:
Not so ugly
More so ugly
So so ugly
Oh so ugly

and to top off the Top Box ugly scale.
Fugly (or fugly ugly)

So what is up with them? There is only a handful of bikes made to even support the things. They don't look out of place on the rolling BARCO loungers like Goldwings and such. On an Adventure bike...UGLY!!! So what is it? Why do you feel you need them high speed wobble inducing ugly boxes? Why do you need sooooo much stuff?

A dry bag looks so much better. Just saying.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 04-06-2012 at 07:45 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:10 PM   #2
ADVHOG
Tattooed White Trash

Oddometer: 107
I agree they are ugly.

However, it makes it easier to get groceries home.

It's also nice for storing my helmet and stitch while I'm walking around (so I don't look like a spaceman).

It's also good for a backrest for my pillion.

Other than that, I leave it at home.
ADVHOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:18 PM   #3
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

All good points...

...especially the Stich

I forgot to mention LET'S SEE SOME PHOTOS So we can rate them on the scale.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:24 PM   #4
Skyclad
Original Bastard

Oddometer: 5,555
I usually leave my top box on my Uly when in the commuter mode. It is just too damn handy for carrying lunch to work, tossing the helmet and gloves into and all that.

I do however agree that it is not the best looking arangement. Then again, when ya get right down to it, ADV bikes are not usually all that pretty to begin with, so it not not a case of making the bike ugly. It is more just changing the degree of ugliness. If I wanted a pretty bike, I would have bought another cruiser.
Skyclad's Wanderings - Bald Eagle Bastards - The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
KCCO
Skyclad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:48 PM   #5
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
I feel that my road bike (V-Strom) handles better with the side cases rather than the top box. I think the top case buffets. But a lot of people don't want to ride with side cases. On the V-Strom they are very very wide since they stand outboard of the upswept exhausts.

A fixed, hard, locked case is very handy for commuter use or errands. What with the price of gas, more bikes are being used that way and I think there will be more and more hard cases on the road. In the few European cities that I've personally seen, I'd say that the majority of the bikes and scooters in-town had top cases on.

I don't want to ride with my computer bag, my briefcase, and my gym bag all hanging off me. With the two side cases, I can stow all three out of the rain (around here, even if it is sunny in the morning, it mught thunderstorm in the afternoon). With only one case I could fit 2 out of three inside and let the gym bag get wet I guess.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:29 AM   #6
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
I feel that my road bike (V-Strom) handles better with the side cases rather than the top box. I think the top case buffets. But a lot of people don't want to ride with side cases. On the V-Strom they are very very wide since they stand outboard of the upswept exhausts.

A fixed, hard, locked case is very handy for commuter use or errands. What with the price of gas, more bikes are being used that way and I think there will be more and more hard cases on the road. In the few European cities that I've personally seen, I'd say that the majority of the bikes and scooters in-town had top cases on.

I don't want to ride with my computer bag, my briefcase, and my gym bag all hanging off me. With the two side cases, I can stow all three out of the rain (around here, even if it is sunny in the morning, it mught thunderstorm in the afternoon). With only one case I could fit 2 out of three inside and let the gym bag get wet I guess.
I accidently ran my 1000 Strom to 120mph once with big boxes on the sides,it snapped into full lock tank slappers in a second. Stability was lacking.

As far as top boxes,I would have to twist my neck around pretty far to look at one on my bike,so who cares what they look like?
They work but I dont use em in the dirt.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:50 PM   #7
nvdlboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 988
It's a great place to carry my computer to and from work; as a business continuity prime, I have to tote the laptop back and forth and keep my cell on 24x7.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:00 PM   #8
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

I hear that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdlboy
It's a great place to carry my computer to and from work; as a business continuity prime, I have to tote the laptop back and forth and keep my cell on 24x7.
That's why I bought one of these. It fits in a pocket. Mine is Black. In a few weeks the are coming out with a 20 gig version
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2008, 12:30 AM   #9
bongodave
Join my cult!

Oddometer: 39,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyclad
I usually leave my top box on my Uly when in the commuter mode. It is just too damn handy for carrying lunch to work, tossing the helmet and gloves into and all that.

I do however agree that it is not the best looking arangement. Then again, when ya get right down to it, ADV bikes are not usually all that pretty to begin with, so it not not a case of making the bike ugly. It is more just changing the degree of ugliness. If I wanted a pretty bike, I would have bought another cruiser.
Form over function. They are ugly. So what?
bongodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:00 AM   #10
jesse
lol

Oddometer: 6
Thumb

They don't look that bad. There is room for two full face helmets in our cases. It makes any bike so much more practical. You can still haul serious ass so I don't see what the problem is.
jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:54 AM   #11
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongodave
Form over function. They are ugly. So what?
BINGO!

My old standard GoldWing had a box, a removable OEM box, no bags just the box and a windshield. I hated the looks of both, but the windshield was removable for good weather. The box was another story. It's too convienient... Groceries, clothing, rain suit, junk, a twelve pack and pizza, whatever. Too convenient to be removed for any length of time. Much like a good tank bag.

When you really USE a bike, sometimes function is more important.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:21 PM   #12
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
...especially the Stich

I forgot to mention LET'S SEE SOME PHOTOS So we can rate them on the scale.

...though currently not on the bike. The guy's "adapter" weighs a ton.

Handy? Yes...

Sexy? No.

As practical as a van though...

Now if i could adapt the SM-T bags, that'd be nice.

lol, not in a million years... http://www.ktm-parts.com/62012025100.html

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 01-02-2012 at 10:51 PM
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:07 AM   #13
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Pass the aspirin… That one hurt.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:30 AM   #14
BOB RAMSAY
Not in the Clique -

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVHOG View Post
I agree they are ugly.

However, it makes it easier to get groceries home.

It's also nice for storing my helmet and stitch while I'm walking around (so I don't look like a spaceman).

Other than that, I leave it at home.
Top boxes - my father put a colored, pin stripped one on his new R90\6. In 1976.
I said - that's ugly but age appropriate. He was the kinda guy that rode his HD to midnight shift - in January - in Ohio.

Today, 38 years later I'm the one riding a BMW - with a top box.

And I look like him to (that's probably a good thing).

I'm 61 now so I guess I'm "age appropriate". (Maybe I should sell that 450 EXC....)
Old 12-12-2014, 04:08 PM   #15
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
I had a home made top box on a klr and the bike was crap with or with out the box
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote