User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2008, 09:42 AM   #1
greengoose OP
boondocker

Oddometer: 3
KTM 690 enduro/SMC exhaust thread

I know a lot of us want to get rid of the stock boat anchor before before it burns us, melts all our gear, and catches the bike on fire.
Its getting harder and harder to find stuff in the mega 690 threadfest so I thought we could use a place for questions, answers, reviews, pictures, and advice about aftermarket pipes for the 690's.
Specifically if anyone in the know from FMF, wings, or leovince has any info on avaliblity and need for EFI mapping I would love to here it

greengoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:44 AM   #2
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by greengoose
I know a lot of us want to get rid of the stock boat anchor before before it burns us, melts all our gear, and catches the bike on fire.
Its getting harder and harder to find stuff in the mega 690 threadfest so I thought we could use a place for questions, answers, reviews, pictures, and advice about aftermarket pipes for the 690's.
Specifically if anyone in the know from FMF, wings, or leovince has any info on avaliblity and need for EFI mapping I would love to here it

Good idea! FMF looks promising!
Old 07-20-2008, 10:18 AM   #3
Dewtwo
old trail rider!

Oddometer: 82
YES, pipe and mapping knowledge please. My dealer will be worthless in helping to get this kind of info. Maybe some of you guys accross the pond have a leg up on this stuff (maybe filters too) since you've had these bad ass thumpers for alot longer!
Dewtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:09 PM   #4
BigIron
Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer: 796
Exhaust

I too would be grateful for any information. I just ordered an FMF Ti yesterday, and my dealer claims a remap is required. Not sure I'm buying it though. I'd rather hear it from you guys.
BigIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:54 PM   #5
gacksnabbit
Commander

Oddometer: 188
Waiting on my Leo Vince Slip-on. Will post pics and impressions as soon as it bolt it on.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:16 PM   #6
greengoose OP
boondocker

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gacksnabbit
Waiting on my Leo Vince Slip-on. Will post pics and impressions as soon as it bolt it on.
Im thinking about the leovince myself do you know if it has a spark arestor
greengoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:44 AM   #7
juanfv
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Question KTM 690 Efi Issues

Firstable I want to thank you for taking a time to read my mail, the fact is that i have a KTM 690 SM year 2007 that is been in my KTM dealer for a long time due to EFI malfunction.

It started with some thorotle disorders, had a new TPS installed, but the setting of the hall system it has been a nighmare.
My dealer is new with the diagnosis tool, and dont show good skill to manage it.

I have a little motorcycle knowledge and from what I have read in all forum my bike may need an adjustment in the Thad and Apad settings since it revs by itseld as I gear it (Seems to have no iddle issues).

I told my dealer to run the Thad and Aphad tool in the PC and then reset all references, but unfortunately my dealer does not know to perform this function in the software

I ask for your help since really need some help and guidance to fix my bike.

Brgds,

Juan Velez
Medellin - Colombia
Juanfv@une.net.co
juanfv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:22 PM   #8
grimripper
1pissanter

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanfv
Firstable I want to thank you for taking a time to read my mail, the fact is that i have a KTM 690 SM year 2007 that is been in my KTM dealer for a long time due to EFI malfunction.

It started with some thorotle disorders, had a new TPS installed, but the setting of the hall system it has been a nighmare.
My dealer is new with the diagnosis tool, and dont show good skill to manage it.

I have a little motorcycle knowledge and from what I have read in all forum my bike may need an adjustment in the Thad and Apad settings since it revs by itseld as I gear it (Seems to have no iddle issues).

I told my dealer to run the Thad and Aphad tool in the PC and then reset all references, but unfortunately my dealer does not know to perform this function in the software

I ask for your help since really need some help and guidance to fix my bike.

Brgds,

Juan Velez
Medellin - Colombia
Juanfv@une.net.co
I know this doesn't immediately help but adds more 'colour' to the topic.

MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

[IMG]image.php?u=7405&dateline=1117128008[/IMG]

Oddometer: 2,369

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCANOE
Dealer replaced the fuel pump and fuel pump regualtor - bike still stalls at idle. Swapped ECM - same results. Waiting for KTM wizzard. Tucson is at 2300FT elevation. I'm thinking a sensor is wacked. Hum... What shall we replace next?

its friggin insane that ktm does not provide a way for dealers to tune the fuel delivery in these things. I had to buy tuneboy and figure it out myself

the euros get a special tool for this called xc1 , maybe scuderia has it by now.
from the uk ktm forum

"You're right Tattoo.

@ Cool4blade, there is very little to be sorted as far as the mapping is concerned. If the Wings cans don't have cats (I think they don't) the map should be KM750EU0804031 in both ECUs. This is the Akra map for the SM. Other than that both maps need to be there, the mapping is static. Re-installing the same map is useless too.

If you have fueling/throttle issues the most important first check is the throttle position voltage (called THAD) and the accelerator voltage (called APAD). The first is the electronic throttle valve controlled by the ECU, the second is the accelerator connected to the throttle cables.

Both voltages are adjustable by turning the sensors on both sides of the throttle body. The sensors are fixed with special torx screws, usually marked with yellow paint. This is a dealer job, DON'T EVER fiddle with these yourself! You need a KTM diagnose box & software like the new XC1 or the old unit for this. So far, we've never found the APAD value to be off, only THAD. But both need to be checked.

After this the error logs must be cleared and the 15 minute initialisation cycle should be done. IF(...) there are still fuelling/throttle issues the XC1 allows the dealer to change the CO targets slightly to smooth things out further if needed. The idle CO can be changed stationairy with a warm engine. For the CO under load you need a dyno. But it's less likely this needs to be changed. On our bikes a slight change of the idle CO worked very good. There is no standard value here. Different bikes turn out different readings. The CO bar-graph needs to be 'in the green' and each individual bike will need its own setting depending on the fuel map, sensor adjustments, exhaust, airfilter (type & condition) and exemplary differences between engines.

This is NOT a DIY guide guys. I know a little but I'm by no means an expert on EFI systems. I only try to give some insight in what can be done to solve FI glitches and to make the mystery veil around EFI a little more transparent.

MookieBlaylock screwed with this post 08-04-2009 at 02:25 AM.
[IMG]images/statusiconCrash/user_offline.gif[/IMG] Report this [IMG]images/buttonsCrash/quote.gif[/IMG]

And also http://www.monomaniacs.nl/tnt/KTM-69...hrottle-issues

grimripper screwed with this post 09-22-2010 at 06:35 PM
grimripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:20 PM   #9
snohobo
Supermoto hippy

Oddometer: 426
Wonder if #1 would increase my fuel mileage? On a six month trip and could probably use a hand

Supermoto Around Death Valley - In Progress

Supermoto Around South America - Terminado
snohobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:38 PM   #10
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by snohobo View Post
Wonder if #1 would increase my fuel mileage? On a six month trip and could probably use a hand

nope. Ran #1 by accident once because i forgot I had set it to 1 for some nasty rocky riding. Saw no improvement in mileage over the other settings.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:13 AM   #11
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by snohobo View Post
Between 1 and what ? Between 1 and 3, the difference is almost nothing. Between 2 and any other ones, its around 30%. With a full tank, and the switch at position 1, I do 240 km. "Easy-rider" driving style. I will do no more then 180 km with the switch at position 2.

Paul Jr 8
Old 10-21-2011, 09:55 PM   #12
snohobo
Supermoto hippy

Oddometer: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck View Post
Between 1 and what?
Paul Jr 8
I'm assuming most people ride with #2 which is what mine is set up for. Ill give 1 and 3 a try and see what happens to my mileage.

I assume throttle response will go down

Supermoto Around Death Valley - In Progress

Supermoto Around South America - Terminado
snohobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:25 PM   #13
99' xr650L
dual sport guy

Oddometer: 86
Any FMF Apex owners here? If so, let's see some pics!
99' xr650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #14
99' xr650L
dual sport guy

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99' xr650L View Post
Any FMF Apex owners here? If so, let's see some pics!

99' xr650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:50 AM   #15
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,939
Very nice SMC
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote