ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2008, 08:55 PM   #1
Kodanja OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Burgdorf - Riggins - Seven Devils

We decided to take an overnight loop ride during the middle of the week to Riggins (the back way) before teachers are back on duty on Thursday. The temps were perfect on Tue/Wed, but thundershowers were forecast. I left Boise around 6pm on Monday to pick up my wife at Warm Lake. No traffic, nice evening light.

Tuesday morning we left for our starting point in McCall.

A few stops at Smith's Ferry along the Payette River.

The Rainbow Bridge is always a favorite

The light in Round Valley was golden (maybe because of the dry grass)

Tuesday morning the road construction at the Warm Lake Road summit had us waiting for 20min while we dried out.

The weather turned out nice and it warmed up in the 70's. We had a great lunch at the Toll Station.

Watching the planes come in.

North out of McCall on Warren Wagon Road, we stopped for a great view of Upper Payette Lake.

Then on into Burgdorf Hot Springs. The water in the main pool was 103 and the hot tub was 113. It was surprising to see so many people here on a Tuesday. The old buildings made you feel that you were in the late 1800's.

Nashatia (Indian meaning "Catch a star,") had a few good stories to tell

A nice local girl

And my lovely wife

She made me post it

After a good rest and a soda, we headed to Riggins over a couple passes. The road was good and scenery was spectacular.

Out in the middle of nowhere...makes you wonder.

This is what I anticipated....the French Creek grade.

You could sure feel the temp rise as we went down towards the Salmon River

There is some nice camping along the River of No Return

The Manning Crevice Suspension Bridge

And some poseur shots

Yep, she made me do it.

There was construction the last 5 miles into Riggins and the road was pretty broken up, but the fawns were nice.

The Riggins Motel looked nostalgic...

But we wanted to "swim" in luxury

Actually, this is a fairly new BW and I would recommend it. Nice pool and hot tub. They even let me park the bike next to the front door.

And the view's not so bad either.

Wednesday morning we headed out to the Seven Devils area. Riggins elevation is 1800ft and Seven Devils is 8200ft. The temp was around 60 and it looked like rain.

The asphalt stops about 4 miles in and the dirt road was in great condition (although a lot of sharp gravel...more about this)

We rode through some clouds hoping it would be clear on top

2 miles further to Heaven's Gate

And the lookout. Not manned this time of year, but you could walk around the deck

Looking toward the distant Oregon Mountains across Hell's Canyon

I think Heaven's Gate appeared....although faint, it was a full rainbow

Halfway down we had a flat. The sharp gravel punctured the tire and tore a bit of tread. I was afraid the plug wouldn't hold. I aired up and checked the pressure as we went down. At the bottom the tire had only lost 6lbs, so we kept on going, stopping and checking. The tire held all the way back to Boise. The plug must have seated better as we rode.

We were starving so we had a 2pm breakfast at the Pancake House in McCall

South of McCall the temps really started to rise, so we removed the rain gear and by the time we got to Smith's Ferry it was around 80. We rested in the sun out back near the Payette River. By the time we got back to Boise the temp was 89.

Overall we rode about 285 miles of asphalt and 80 miles of dirt. I've lived in Idaho my entire life and if it wasn't for riding a motorcycle, I don't think I'd see the country and experiencing the moments like I have. It's a sensational feeling riding in the open air with the changing weather, smelling the fragrances of the countryside, and taking in the panoramic affect of the scenery from the top of a motorcycle. Next trip....the Selkirk Loop...coming this October.
Kodanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:09 PM   #2
ryanwilliamcantrell
Get Out and Ride!!

Oddometer: 3,862
Nice RR.

French Creek is one of my favorites.

I don't think I've actually known anyone to get a flat just from rocks before... I guess the weight of the luggage, GS, and 2-up may have something to do with it.

Looks like you had a great time together.

ryanwilliamcantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:23 PM   #3
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,155
Wow rain, what's that? We could use some of that down here in the valley and out in the desert. Nice photos. Did the old guy at Burgdorf break out his drum and give you a concert with drum beating and singing? We were there a month ago and he did, what a riot.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:59 AM   #4
idabeemerboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
OH, that grade down into Riggins is so nice! We love that ride. We talked about doing it last weekend, but couldn't get any takers....Your pictures are nice. We have never gone up to the 7 Devils. Will have to do that....a lot of my horsey buddies ride up there. Would rather do that on a bike...lol....!!
Sue
'73 75/5
'07 GSA Adventure
various dirt bikes
and 2 horses.....
idabeemerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:20 AM   #5
Dakar-Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,373
Nice country - great report and pix

Looks like the fawns were facing off for a show down

Dave
Old 08-22-2008, 12:37 PM   #6
HeadingNorth
Keep On The Gas!!

Oddometer: 987
Great report and photo's. That road in French Creek diden't look bad. That's an area I'd like to explore.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:59 PM   #7
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,286
Curiosity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwilliamcantrell
Nice RR.

French Creek is one of my favorites.

I don't think I've actually known anyone to get a flat just from rocks before... I guess the weight of the luggage, GS, and 2-up may have something to do with it.

Looks like you had a great time together.
In that vain..what was your tire pressure when you got the flat?
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 05:49 PM   #8
Kodanja OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
flat tire report

Thanks for the replies. The tire was clearly bulging with both of us on the bike and you could feel the bike sway when I came to a stop, so the tire pressure was close to 0, but I didn't actually take a reading when we came to a stop. After 5-7 minutes on the air-up I only had 15lbs....it took about 15 minutes to get up to 38. I suppose I could have run over of a piece of metal or something but there was nothing visible. The tire is an Anakee with about 5000 miles. The puncture was in the tread groove.
Kodanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:07 AM   #9
bdefen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Talking Great ride

Sounds like it's time for new Anakees.

Glad to see your post. I'm riding from Boise to Moscow for a weekend visit Sept 5, and am planning on routing via Burgdorf/French Creek that day. Probably every other back road/grade that day as well. I'll be returning from Moscow on Sunday 9/7 via Clarkston/Rattlesnake/Enterprise/Joseph/FS39/Hess/Cambridge/Indian Valley/Ola/Sweet/Gardena/Horeshoe Bend.

If anyone from Boise is interested in accompanying me - either a day ride on Friday Sept 5 - loop from Boise to Riggins and back via Burgdorf/French Creek, or any other sections, respond here, or e-mail me at bdefen@cableone.net.

Thanks!