ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2008, 08:08 PM   #1
KTMarty OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Three guys three KTM's and 7 days of WA,Oregon,Idaho & Montana

Three of us Tom, Mike and myself Marty took a week to explore WA, Oregon, Idaho and Montana Aug 9-16. Tom rode the Black 950 and Mike and myself on the faster Orange 950's.

Tom and I trailed our bikes to Spokane WA to met with Mike at his dad's place Friday evening. Mike came up from Vancouver WA in his truck. We camped out in his dad's back yard Friday night and Saturday we were ready to explore mainly Idaho for 7 days.

Not going to go into a lot of detail on the ride just want to share my pics of the ride . Look for Mikes"s (mrudy) ride report on this fourm.

Day 1 - Saturday morning were up early and ready to go. Plan was to head south via WA back roads to Hells Canyon.

From Left Mike, Tom & Marty

Both Red bikes started up but the black on had other ideas. I just made some jumper cables for this trip and had to pull them out. With a quick jump we were ready to ride. Here is Tom putting his bike back together

Here is our first day route

Pic of WA/Idaho State Line Road

Here is a movie pic of Tom

[IMG]%3Cobject%20width=%22640%22%20height=%22480%22%3E% 3Cparam%20name=%22movie%22%20value=%22http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008080703.swf%22%20/%3E%3Cparam%20name=%22allowFullScreen%22%20value=% 22true%22%20/%3E%3Cparam%20name=%22flashVars%22%20value=%22s=ZT 0xJmk9MzUzODU1MDk1Jms9VWtUZm4mYT01NzMxMDk3X2ZMaHZB JnU9am9yZ2Vuc29uZm9ydW0=%22%20/%3E%3Cembed%20src=%22http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008080703.swf%22%20flashVars=%22s=ZT0xJmk9MzUzODU 1MDk1Jms9VWtUZm4mYT01NzMxMDk3X2ZMaHZBJnU9am9yZ2Vuc 29uZm9ydW0=%22%20width=%22640%22%20height=%22480%2 2%20type=%22application/x-shockwave-flash%22%20allowFullScreen=%22true%22%3E%3C/embed%3E%3C/object%3E[/IMG]

Head up to Mary Minerva McCroskey Mem State Park

Had lunch over looking the valley in the park

Before we got into Lexiton we took the Old Spiral Hwy. About 7 miles of twisty. Here is a panaram shot of the area

Mike found this dead animail on the road and thought it was cool to use as a seat cover. Actually its an old elk skin he had laying aorund the house and made good use of it. It got a Lots of looks.

Here is Mike on top on Spiral Hwy

Setting up camp at LewistonState park for the first night.

First day we rode 166mi 18mph average in 9hrs 11 min.

I attached the gpx track of our first day.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx day 1 track gpx.gpx (816.5 KB, 154 views)

2010 KTM 450EXC (FSL)
06 KTM 950 Adventure (Orange)

Fire Road Closure Report

Dual Sport Tire price comarison

2008 Idaho ride

Camp Chair

KTMarty screwed with this post 08-28-2008 at 04:38 PM
KTMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:31 PM   #2
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,412
Eh? Red?

(snip)
Quote:
Three of us Tom, Mike and myself Marty took a week to explore WA, Idaho and Montana Aug 9-16. Tom rode the Black 950 and Mike and myself on the faster Red 950's.
(snip)

When did KTM start making RED 950's. Black, yes, Silver, yes and Orange of course. BUT not red one's.

That being said and soon to be edited I am assuming, continue with the nice ride report. Good Pics so far too.
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:33 PM   #3
KTMarty OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbh40a
(snip)(snip)

When did KTM start making RED 950's. Black, yes, Silver, yes and Orange of course. BUT not red one's.

That being said and soon to be edited I am assuming, continue with the nice ride report. Good Pics so far too.
Just checking and seeing if you are awake.

2010 KTM 450EXC (FSL)

Fire Road Closure Report

2008 Idaho ride

Camp Chair
Old 08-25-2008, 08:42 PM   #4
KTMarty OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
(snip)(snip)

Sure they make Red ones. When your camera gets to excited in taking pics of KTM.

2010 KTM 450EXC (FSL)

Fire Road Closure Report

2008 Idaho ride

Camp Chair
Old 08-26-2008, 08:43 AM   #5
mrudy
"Let's Ride"

Oddometer: 277
It was a great trip, filled with breathtaking scenery, wild animals, 47 nice people and only 1 b*tch of a USFS Ranger. Combined with the dangers of the wilderness, the adventures of forging our own trail when the road is no more, bears, broken-scratched and bent bikes.

Stay tuned for more....

Meanwhile, more pics from day 1:

Tom and Marty's KTMs must be gay because they are already touching. I won't reveal which one plays the sheep.

McCroskey State Park was pretty nice. Would like to checkout the OHV trails sometime.

The Old Spiral Highway leading into Lewiston, ID is a must-do. Up or Down, they are both fun.

Like a Field General...Marty plans the next day's attack...

Tom... being Tom.
05 KTM 450 EXC GONE
Pics at http://www.mrudy.smugmug.com
mrudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 05:22 PM   #6
DrStrangeride
Let them Eat Roost

Oddometer: 136
Be careful. The locals up here are nuts....Tom looks like a California hitchhiker....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrudy

Tom... being Tom.
DrStrangeride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:52 PM   #7
KTMarty OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 2 - Sunday Into Hells Canyon

Day 2 Sat - We packed up and left Lewiston State Park and headed South to Hells Canyon.

Here is the route we took:

This pic is before Hells Canyon Along the Snake River

Kick stand? Don't need no bloody kickstand.

SAw this sign but no Bighorn Sheep

Only this type

As we got into the canyon more wild life appeared.
Loads of Elk

And Turkeys

Before the entrance to Hell Canyon. There is a great section coming out of the canyon and climbing up to the top of the Hells Canyon

Finally made it

The Road ran top of the canyon for miles about 4k-5k in alt.

I ran into clutch problem from get go and had to bleed my clutch twice a day. More on this later

Stopped for lunch over looking the canyon.

Here is a panorama shot of the canyon.

After lunch this is what waited for us.

Only had two cattle gates to open and close along the route.

Its just get better.

Stopped at another look out

Here I am with a bad hair day which equals to a great ride.

The ride down NF 530 was a hoot.

Here is a shot looking across to Klenschimidt Grade which was on tomorrow agenda.

Opps- Tom did a Monty Python fall over. (Fell over with no forward motion)
Pop off the directional but was able to put it back together. Left a nice scar though

Headed up Hwy 71 for 16 miles to find fuel. Made the mistake in not taking 86 south 3 miles to Pine for fuel. Did find a great eatery and a nice camp ground above the Brownlee Reservior though.

This camp ground did not have any good tent spots to park next to. No one was around so we rode in on the walking path to the end of the tent camping area and had the place to ourselves. Notice the walk way.

Ended the day with 179 miles at 15 mph ave in 11 hrs 51 min.
Here is an attachment of the gpx route for Day 2
Attached Files
File Type: gpx day 2 track gpx.gpx (588.8 KB, 149 views)

2010 KTM 450EXC (FSL)

Fire Road Closure Report

2008 Idaho ride

Camp Chair
Old 08-26-2008, 09:01 AM   #8
Heath
Coke-The choice of Angels

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
(snip)(snip)

[hijack]I'm not a KTM historian but I saw a red 950 a couple of years ago up in Washington. The owner said it was a prototype, and that it was that color from the factory. Beautiful bike too...[/hijack]

Great thread! Can't wait for the rest
Old 08-26-2008, 03:23 PM   #9
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,412
Eh? Huh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath
[hijack]I'm not a KTM historian but I saw a red 950 a couple of years ago up in Washington. The owner said it was a prototype, and that it was that color from the factory. Beautiful bike too...[/hijack]

Great thread! Can't wait for the rest
What you talkin about Willis! No red, that is Honda's color.

Now on with the thread.
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:06 PM   #10
Beerslayer
Journeyman Bike Knocker

Oddometer: 3,734
I would like to see detail on how the fuel and water cans are mounted on the back. That looks like a nice setup.
Road Rash Riding Roatan
Beerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:59 PM   #11
mrudy
"Let's Ride"

Oddometer: 277
Kolpin Fuel/Water Jugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerslayer
I would like to see detail on how the fuel and water cans are mounted on the back. That looks like a nice setup.
The set up looks okay, but wait til Day 2's report and you'll see what happens. Made some critical errors in the mounting of said jugs.

In the meantime, here's the install photos

Blackdog CW tail rack

Filled both cells with water for the initial tryout. Had heard that Kolpins leak like a sum bitch.

Anyone have a calculator handy? Any physics freaks in the house? How much force is being exerted on the tail rack with the mounting system I have, the Kolpin brackets weight about 5 lbs each, plus 1.4 gals of water/petrol in each cell at a height of, let's say, 12 inches?

05 KTM 450 EXC GONE
Pics at http://www.mrudy.smugmug.com
mrudy is offline   Reply With Quote