User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2008, 03:16 PM   #1
Nightstalker OP
YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer: 5,939
PHX - Blessed Hellride

One of my favorite Phoenix ADVRider buddies, DirtyDog, put this 3 day ride together. I joined the adventurers for Day 1.

It all started like this...

Background:
I'm [DirtyDog] departing the beautiful Arizona- the wide-open spaces that are a dual-sport motorcyclist's paradise.

Therefore I require a kick ass 3-day ride before I move to Tulsa, OK and get a real job.

This will be a planning thread for what I shall call the "Blessed Hellride".

The dates will be Sept. 12-14 (Friday - Sunday), 2008.

The goal is to pack as many rocky, dirty, soggy, and nasty dual-sport miles as possible into three solid days.

I'm working on the general route, but it will basically be a loop that begins and ends in Phoenix.

Preliminarily, I'm thinking that the two overnighters will be spent in cheap motels (Motel6?) in Prescott and Payson.
1) So we won't be weighed down by camp gear
2) So we can celebrate each ride in style afterwards and wake up rested, showered, refreshed, and sober(?) for days 2 and 3
3) So each day will have a predetermined start and end point to open up partial participation options

I have some nice standby route options for Phx to Prescott and Payson to Phx, but the middle third is still up in the air. (As is the whole concept, but we'll assume it's a go.)

The ride is open to anyone willing and able to join me. I'd like to keep my riding groups to just a few riders, so maybe a rally style may be warranted depending on how many riders get involved. You'll recall that the Chiricahua weekend turned into a 15-rider convoy.

I'm gonna try to plan a difficult route, but alternate routes will likely be plentiful for the wary.

It WILL contain the following, if possible:
1) moderate to dangerous water crossings example 1, 2
2) steep grades example 1, 2
3) technical bouldering example 1, 2
4) sand example 1, 2
5) mud example 1
Summing to a couple hundred miles of glorious filth per day.

Big bike friendly? Depends on the rider. Your call.

Ooh, sounds scary, doesn't it!? I'm just trying to plan a real challenge. Take it or leave it.

It doesn't have to be any more organized than this, but if anyone has any route suggestions, feel free to do so.

It's still 2 months away, but some people need notice to get a day off work. And besides I thought this up yesterday and I'm too psyched already.

Who's with me?

EDIT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
FYI- "Blessed Hellride" is a song/album by Black Label Society and goes something like this- (sounds better than it reads)

break me down and roll me once again
got no time to think of now and then
catch my breath pick myself up off the floor
one more drink, a nervous breakdown, then another war

oh, you can never get too low,
when youre so damn high
oh, been out rolling
on the blessed hellride

Through the lines, aint no in betweens
Gardens of filth, the obscure and the obscene
catch my breath, pick myself up off the floor
one more drink, a nervous breakdown, then another war

oh, you can never get too low when you're so damn high
oh, been out rolling, on the blessed hellride
you can never get too low when youre so damn high,
on the blessed hellride

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 1 was probably one of the tough days. Here's a teaser:

North American
Ride Report Index and GPX files at:

NSRides.com

Nightstalker rides North America 2007

snug htiw swoC
Nightstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 03:31 PM   #2
Loud Al

Oddometer: 3,897
Looks good so far, I always enjoy your RRs

Allan
Loud Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 05:39 PM   #3
Nightstalker OP
YO BUDDYPAL!

I just moved into a new house last weekend and, unfortunately, couldn't commit to the whole weekend. I did hook up with the crew for the day 1 adventure.

I met up with the guys on the Carefree Highway, a fitting start to an excellent journey. The day 1 crew included:

DirtyDog - KLR650
glnn313 - KLR650
ChopperCopper - KTM 640 Adventure
AZBerg/Matt - KLR650
Nightstalker - KTM 950 Adventure

Airing down at New River.

Here's Glenn navigating through our first minor obsticle of the day, about a 1/4 mile in. Not much of a hang up, but I did manage to sandwich my foot between a rock and the bike frame. Advil managed to keep the swelling down throughout the day.

North American

NSRides.com

snug htiw swoC

Nightstalker screwed with this post 09-14-2008 at 05:21 PM
Old 09-13-2008, 05:50 PM   #4
Nightstalker OP
YO BUDDYPAL!

A new pipeline was just installed from Phoenix to ?points north?, I don't know where the other end is, but anyway, who cares? The construction leveled part of the trail and we had to make do.

DirtyDog and ChopperCopper

Matt action sequence

SUCCESS!!

North American

NSRides.com

snug htiw swoC
Old 09-13-2008, 05:57 PM   #5
Nightstalker OP
YO BUDDYPAL!

And then we got to the tunnel...

glnn313

Matt was real nervous, but it made it up no sweat!

Sorry I cut off your head JD.

North American

NSRides.com

snug htiw swoC
Old 09-13-2008, 06:04 PM   #6
Nightstalker OP
YO BUDDYPAL!

Some great trail side photos

North American

NSRides.com

snug htiw swoC
Old 09-13-2008, 06:05 PM   #7
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,844
What fun you're having

The Smugmug embedded videos are so much better than videos from other sites too.. must be the larger size.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:08 PM   #8
dave6253
The Tourist

Oddometer: 3,065
Thumb

Local boys tearing it up! Sweet!
Old 09-15-2008, 02:26 PM   #9
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,723
Thanks for the intro, Nightstalker. Now that I’m back into civilization, I guess I can contribute to this ride report in a more meaningful way. Unfortunately, I don’t have near the quantity or quality of images, so you’ll have to settle for witty prose.

Much like a Tarantino flick, let’s flash back to the beginning…
Nightstalker, Glnn313, ChopperCopper, AZBerg, and I rode day 1. It was supposed to be the “technical day”. Day 2 was supposed to be easier, and day 3 was supposed to be medium difficulty, but long. For the most part this was the case, but days 2 and 3 were much more difficult than
planned…

Pics from day 1. You already got most of the details from Terry.

The double-dog-dare was in effect, and Terry was my first sucker.

I was tired of using the buddy pegs, as it had a great effect on my riding technique, so I opted to get it fixed. A nice gentleman in Crown King named Mark (as recommended by mouth from Big Ed for the low price of $20 and a canned PBR) welded my foot pegs to the frame. Oddly, he wouldn’t
permit me to take his picture.

Day 2 involved a subset of riders. Terry booked for PHX on Friday night, so we were down to 4 riders. We left Prescott early and headed for Old Black Canyon Highway to link into Old Fain Rd. The former was a beautiful stretch of dirt and paved twisties through Prescott Valley. Unfortunately Fain Rd. was closed- our first routing issue for the day. We bypassed and headed up Mingus Mtn.

From Mingus Mt. we linked some forest roads to Cherry Rd. The early part of this section was great fun and really rocky. It opened up to some epic views of the countryside. I managed to have another breakage issue when I snapped one of my rear pannier mounts. Cinched it up with some compression straps and continued riding.

Once through Cherry, we booked it to Camp Verde, gassed, rested, and headed to Fossil Creek. We soaked our perpetually pruny feet and enjoyed some shade. I educated all on the native fishes.

We checked out Insurance Hill on Fossil Creek Rd. Apparently Matt is missed. RIP

Had a nice lunch at the Strawberry Lodge. Anything with green chiles and pepperjack cheese is fine by me.

Headed into Payson and jumped on the Fire Control Road for some more dirt. We met up with a local rider, Redeye-AZ, who led us on a lesser-known trail which was great fun and quite technical. (Meanwhile. AZBerg was visiting family in Payson. He missed some good miles.) Unfortunately, I have no photo evidence.

On the Redeye-AZ trail, Glenn popped his rear tube and we spent some beer-drinking time in the hotel parking lot getting it patched. And patched again.

Went to a little-known local establishment called Chili’s. Apparently, it was the only place in town that Matt could order a respectable ladies’ drink. Mrs. ChopperCopper joined us for a late dinner and kindly returned to Mesa with my busted pannier rack and cases. Much lighter for day 3.

Glenn was happy to finally get some food.

Polished off the rest of our beers and teased the locals a bit before sacking out. Day 3 would be a long one.

Day 3 started with a splat as we were geared up to go and realized that the multiple patches installed on Glenn’s rear tube were insufficient. This caused he and I to miss breakfast.
Cyberdos (Julio) travelled up from Mesa to join us for the day. AzBerg headed home, and ChopperCopper opted for a different route. Apparently the trail we chose for Sunday morning was one of ill repute and Redeye-AZ was not eager to join us. These rumors convinced ChopperCopper to take a detour as well. Glenn, Julio, and I pressed on…

We left Payson and slabbed to Rye where we picked up the trail. We thought we’d hit a dead end at 76 Ranch, as the road passes through private property. After some friendly coaxing with Mrs. 76, we were granted access.

And we promptly took a wrong turn and got stuck in the creek.

Once on the proper path, the rumors proved true. It was basically a 4-mile, rocky, steep climb. No major issues except a few wrong turns. Not many pics either.

The trail dumped us into the W side of Young and we fueled and stopped for an Antler burger where we rejoined ChopperCopper. Next on the slate was 609-71 to Punkin Center, but we opted to add Buzzard’s Roost to the list.
This was an excellent choice. The views were spectacular.

Linked back into 609 and made a stop at Mike’s secret cave. Head down, earbuds in, we jammed into Punkin Center jumping off rocks the whole way. Great fun. Julio had a minor get-off, but wasn’t hurt. Glenn decided to leave his supertrapp on the trail. He was forced to run a straight pipe for the remainder of the day.

We again split up at Jake’s Corner when ChopperCopper headed home for a family event. Julio, Glenn, and I pressed on for the final leg of the ride. It was already 4:30pm and we were jumping back on the trail for several hours… it would prove to be a sketchy decision. We knew the consequences and decided to go for it. We exited 87 at Sycamore Creek and hopped on a powerline road which ends at Bartlett Dam.

The “road” was awesome in all ways. It was nearly all off-camber, rocky, washed-out (in some places non-existent), steep, rutted, etc. It winded on for miles. Fortunately, one stretch of the road was a repair-in-progress and we were treated to the leavings of a trackhoe. As the sun was setting, we came to a section of road which was under the present lake level. We hugged the water’s edge and managed our way around, but not before I proceeded to submerge my entire bike in a moment of poor footing and imbalance. Started up after a few tense moments of tinkering.

Found some more wildlife. Discovered that Julio is very fearful of venomous lizards.

Crashed once while staring into the sunset and Julio’s dust. Just a flesh wound.

Finally finished the powerline road and found the Verde riverbed (just downstream of Bartlett Dam) at dusk. Felt our way through the rocky terrain and underbrush to a suitable crossing site. We had to navigate the three bikes through about 40 yards of river ankle to knee deep. The issues
were- 1) it’s now dark, 2) the riverbed is strewn with basketball-sized rocks, 3) everything is covered in slick algae. The moon came out as we pushed the bikes across. One man on the throttle/clutch, one pushing from behind, and another guiding the front wheel over rocks. It was a tiresome, wet, sweaty endeavor. Once on the other side, we eventually found Bartlett Road (paved) and rejoiced. We headed homeward and called it a day at 9:45pm.

Julio was a trooper on day 3. I don’t think he has ever seen such a difficult ride, but he hung in there and performed well.

Glenn deserves the hero award as he stuck with me for the entire 3 days.

Here is an image of the ridden route (red) and planned (grey) routes. I clocked over 600 miles including the miles to/from home.
-DustyRags

DirtyDog screwed with this post 09-15-2008 at 02:48 PM
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:24 PM   #10
Low Down
ADV Misfit

Oddometer: 839

My hat is off to all of you!! Thanks for the report, pictures, and the vids.

Julio... your foot in that picture was fuckin' nasty bro!!
Low Down is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:17 PM   #11
ChopperCopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Great update and pics!

JD- Awesome update to finish the ride report with. I am not sure I would recommend grabbing the Gila Monster though...

2006 Yamaha Roadliner XV1900
2006 640 Adventure

SmugMug Coupon F3GF1oUZ5uZXF
ChopperCopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:24 PM   #12
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,723
One might think it prudent to avoid brightly colored venomous animals , but I'm no ordinary person.

Actually, I've handled them before. I did Gila monster radio telemetry in Valley of Fire and handled rattlesnakes of all types in the Mojave Desert. It was part of my job. Gila monsters are like teddybears compared to snakes IMHO.
-DustyRags
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:09 PM   #13
ta2rob
2 longs, 1 short, 1 long.

Oddometer: 307
Excellent!

Terry ... excellect ride report, as usual.

Glenn, though I don't believe we've met, I see your KLR suffers from a type of rear-tire-disorder that I can relate to! Just ask JD, Chopper, Matt, Motomedic, DOD ... the list goes on, and on, and on ...

Also, it's weird you 'lost' your Supertrapp ... mine broke cleanly off at the FACTORY weld the last time I took out my XRL. Never going to buy that brand again.

Chopper & Matt ... glad to 'see' you guys again, even if it's from my computer screen.

Julio ... nice to see a fellow NYer out there mixing it up.

JD - sorry to see you go. I hope your travels bring you happiness. Thanks for the few rides I was party to ... they were fun and challenging at times (when I wasn't fixing flats). Good luck.

Me, well, I've been working my ass off ... paying bills and getting out of debt. Not there yet, but I need to make the money when I can. I would have LOVED to join you all on this epic travel, but I just couldn't afford to take the time off from work.

Which was probably best for those involved, as with my 'luck' I wouldn't have made it past mile 1 without a flat!

But you'll be pleased to know I've outfitted the XRL with a rear rack that now carries spare front & rear wheels/tires, as well as the 45 liter Givi hard saddlebags (complete with a lot of tools) on both sides! Funny, when I carry all that crap, I never break down, but when I shed it for a 'local' ride, well ... I do a lot of cursing and pushing the bike.

I'll stop the rambling and thread hijack now. Sorry.

Best of luck to all and see you out on the trail.
ta2rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:19 PM   #14
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer: 2,815
terry. yo buddy pal. how the hell are you?!?
guessing, hoping you healed well.
about the last time i heard from you was before i helped load your bike into your truck at the end of the pb500, after your spill.
way to go, take the whole family adventure riding.
hope you and the family are adjusting well to the left coast.
haven't got to all of this thread yet. you guys have another recent traitor, i mean implant from the east coast. cyberdos, say hi to julio for us. we don't really miss him, so just saying hi is fine. maybe letting the air out of his tire at lunch would be kind of funny too. excellent rider learning the ways of the adventure riding along with the rest of us. great guy who i am sure would love to explore trails with you and learn of some of the places you have already discovered.
ride safe brother.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:06 AM   #15
Nightstalker OP
YO BUDDYPAL!

Life is great, AZ rules! I sure do miss riding the PB's with all you guys back east though. But, after riding around out here, well, there is no substitute for AZ!

I'm looking forward to dragging Cyberdos down some trails. If he can last through a day with Glenn and JD, he'll be fine riding with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthuey
terry. yo buddy pal. how the hell are you?!?
guessing, hoping you healed well.
about the last time i heard from you was before i helped load your bike into your truck at the end of the pb500, after your spill.
way to go, take the whole family adventure riding.
hope you and the family are adjusting well to the left coast.
haven't got to all of this thread yet. you guys have another recent traitor, i mean implant from the east coast. cyberdos, say hi to julio for us. we don't really miss him, so just saying hi is fine. maybe letting the air out of his tire at lunch would be kind of funny too. excellent rider learning the ways of the adventure riding along with the rest of us. great guy who i am sure would love to explore trails with you and learn of some of the places you have already discovered.
ride safe brother.

North American

NSRides.com

snug htiw swoC