Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2008, 09:14 AM   #1
tmgs OP
...Trailers are for Boats

Oddometer: 968
bmw f 800 gs

I just got to speak to a fellow filling up on his brandy new BMW 800 GS,
he just picked it up yesterday but says he's having a great time on it, and it handles great, has plenty of power even though he can't take it about 5k rpm yet

bike looks good! It's the first one i have seen on the roads,

Tom
tmgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:25 PM   #2
Frostbit
Is it cold in here?

Oddometer: 1,039
The fun begins at 6000rpm...

The 800 is a bike worth bonding with.

Check out WWW.RideDualSport.com forum.
Frostbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:13 AM   #3
samuelp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgs
I just got to speak to a fellow filling up on his brandy new BMW 800 GS,
he just picked it up yesterday but says he's having a great time on it, and it handles great, has plenty of power even though he can't take it about 5k rpm yet

bike looks good! It's the first one i have seen on the roads,

Tom
It took me a day of hard riding off road for me to understand the 800 GS, You have to push it around a bit and then it's an absolutely wonderful bike.

So did it tempt you into getting one?

samuelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:23 AM   #4
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,244
I think sales of the things will be higher than expected, I certainly waiting for them to start showing up.
Jim
on2wheels52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:59 AM   #5
tmgs OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelp
It took me a day of hard riding off road for me to understand the 800 GS, You have to push it around a bit and then it's an absolutely wonderful bike.

So did it tempt you into getting one?

well everything tempts me , but for now with the R1200 gsa and the r1200gs we are waiting till next year to think about buying any more bikes.

But I see it as a replacement to the 1200, which leaves tank size and alt power as a downside to it at this point.

I like the simplicity of it, I would really have to get used to filling it off the bike though, I rarely get off my bike at a gas station, it looks fun and bet it is much better off road for a half old goat like me, gas mileage makes it tempting, I cant wait to hear real numbers from riders that ride like we do, to go from mid/low 30's to say mid/high 50's would be awesome with the gas prices like they are! when you are paying a combined 8 bucks a gallon every gas stop it gets pricey real quick (we are filling two bikes up when we ride)
Old 09-22-2008, 08:27 AM   #6
FarmerRick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,307
After just completing an 1100 mile romp in East TN, Va, WV, and KY, I think that any concerns about tank size might be non-issues. We ran at sport bike paces (Lead bikes included an RC51 and CBR1000RR and an CBR600) and I NEVER averaged below 60 miles per gallon at fillup. The friendly "miles to empty" computer was showing distances of close to 300 miles on a single tank. No I didn't run it empty so I can't verify anything other than the average MPG's are what the computer said.

The comment about pushing the bike also became apparent. Accelerate into the turns and forget about scrubbing off any speed in it. Power on - Traction!!

Great bike!!

Rick

Quote:
well everything tempts me , but for now with the R1200 gsa and the r1200gs we are waiting till next year to think about buying any more bikes.

But I see it as a replacement to the 1200, which leaves tank size and alt power as a downside to it at this point.

I like the simplicity of it, I would really have to get used to filling it off the bike though, I rarely get off my bike at a gas station, it looks fun and bet it is much better off road for a half old goat like me, gas mileage makes it tempting, I cant wait to hear real numbers from riders that ride like we do, to go from mid/low 30's to say mid/high 50's would be awesome with the gas prices like they are! when you are paying a combined 8 bucks a gallon every gas stop it gets pricey real quick (we are filling two bikes up when we ride)
Old 09-22-2008, 08:56 AM   #7
tmgs OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCExaminer
After just completing an 1100 mile romp in East TN, Va, WV, and KY, I think that any concerns about tank size might be non-issues. We ran at sport bike paces (Lead bikes included an RC51 and CBR1000RR and an CBR600) and I NEVER averaged below 60 miles per gallon at fillup. The friendly "miles to empty" computer was showing distances of close to 300 miles on a single tank.
Rick
now is that all interstate at 80-82 , or running around the mountains

thanks!
Old 09-22-2008, 09:41 AM   #8
FarmerRick
Beastly Adventurer

Mountain ridin' (of course!! )

Quote:
now is that all interstate at 80-82 , or running around the mountains

thanks!
Old 09-23-2008, 03:37 PM   #9
RoadMinge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCExaminer
After just completing an 1100 mile romp in East TN, Va, WV, and KY, I think that any concerns about tank size might be non-issues. We ran at sport bike paces (Lead bikes included an RC51 and CBR1000RR and an CBR600) and I NEVER averaged below 60 miles per gallon at fillup. The friendly "miles to empty" computer was showing distances of close to 300 miles on a single tank. No I didn't run it empty so I can't verify anything other than the average MPG's are what the computer said.

The comment about pushing the bike also became apparent. Accelerate into the turns and forget about scrubbing off any speed in it. Power on - Traction!!

Great bike!!

Rick
I did not read "keeper" anywhere in this post ???? a Stelvio or Superduke is in your future................
KLX450R , Yamaha Zuma 50, Lambretta GP200
RoadMinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 04:55 AM   #10
FarmerRick
Beastly Adventurer

Hmmm... Keeper.. isn't that American of Welsh Heritage for "gonna sell that beehotch in the next 60 days?

My only negative of the bike is that the seat is just not quite right! Obviously, this is a very personal preference and I've read a lot of posts on how great the seat is. I find it less comfortable than the KTM seat and will look for an alternative. The good news is that after about 100 miles your ass is so numb you hardly even notice the seat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadMinge
I did not read "keeper" anywhere in this post ???? a Stelvio or Superduke is in your future................
Old 09-22-2008, 08:44 AM   #11
Frostbit
Is it cold in here?

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:

It's still getting over 60mpg even after the post break in throttle cranking the I've been inflicting. It's not a problem filling up the tank without getting off the bike.

The 800 honeymoon continues...

Check out WWW.RideDualSport.com forum.
Frostbit is offline   Reply With Quote