Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2008, 06:03 AM   #1
FatBuoy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Help with 650 Dakar or F800GS please!

Hey all,

I have a dilemma. I have an F800GS on order. I have never owned a dual sport, but have been riding on and off road bikes for about 25 years. This would be my first venture into dual sporting. I anticipate taking some long trips on it, such as Mexico, Colorado, etc and would also be using it on the streets in Austin a good bit.

Here's my dilemma considering I've never even ridden one:

A) Buy the F800GS, as I think it is the best you can get? The downside would be if I'm not all into it I will lose a bunch of cash on resale. Total output of cash once farkled would be North of $15k

B) Buy a 650 Dakar, farkled, for about $6,500 (2006). This way if I don't care for it I can sell with no big loss. If I love it and crave bigger, better, faster I can sell it and move to a new, or maybe used by that time, F800GS.

The other thought is that maybe I would like the 800GS but not the Dakar so much, giving me a tainted view of dual sport bikes from the get go. I can afford either, but just don't want to be stupid about it. I can afford, but am by no means rich.

Please share your thoughts, and thanks in advance!

If this is somehow posted in the wrong section, my apologies. I am thinking this would be the right one.
FatBuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:25 AM   #2
rjnutt
Desert tortoise

Oddometer: 241
For what it is worth, if a recent bout of impulsiveness hadn't landed a new Harley in my garage I would be trading my Dakar in on a 800GS right now. I love the Dakar and it has been a good bike, but that 800 is sweeeeet!!!

I think you would be happy with either. Both are excellent bikes and can do a lot more than "adventure" duty.
rjnutt is offline   Reply With Quote