ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2004, 02:31 PM   #1
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,572
newbie GS'er seeks Western WA ride tips

Can I get some suggestions for good rides around the greater Seattle area? I'm new to this whole GS thing, but it's my sixth BMW (four airheads, one oil, one K). Looking for some nice off-pavement rides and any tips for the ride out to Spokane in July.

Thanks for the help? and are there any good books out there with ride info?
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 07:45 PM   #2
dutch peter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
off road rides

There are alot of nice fire roads leading off hwy 410 on the way to crystal mtn that are good rides but you have to get permission from werhauser to ride them they have an office in enumclaw just as you are exiting the town on hwy 410.
Also since you will be on the 410 going up the hill toward bonny lake there is a german restaraunt/vinyard where you can not go wrong
Old 05-03-2004, 09:27 AM   #3
ewok1
ewok1

Oddometer: 29
From Lynden Mebbe?

Don't know much about dirt roads, but I am certain you'll ride the north cascades coming over to Spokanistan. Stay on 20 and you will have some great road riding. There is a decent size group over here mapping rides as we speak.
ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 10:31 AM   #4
L.A.
Regular Guy™

Oddometer: 1,305
Check out the Colockum Wildlife area that is north (and a little east) of Ellensburg and west of the Columbia north of Vantage. Look for Colockum road and pass on the map.

"In their lifetimes, most people will never need a gun. Those that do will need one very badly."
- Gen. George A. Custer
L.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 10:35 AM   #5
L.A.
Regular Guy™

Oddometer: 1,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIBSA
Destination Highways Washington is all road. I don't know of any books that cover the off-road side of it. I like to use the Benchmark maps Washington Road and Recreation atlas to recon roads and areas that are GSable. It's worked well for me so far.

"In their lifetimes, most people will never need a gun. Those that do will need one very badly."
- Gen. George A. Custer
L.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 09:04 PM   #6
Hawespipe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIBSA
Can I get some suggestions for good rides around the greater Seattle area? I'm new to this whole GS thing, but it's my sixth BMW (four airheads, one oil, one K). Looking for some nice off-pavement rides and any tips for the ride out to Spokane in July.

Howdy Tribsa,

I live out on the Olympic Peninsula and there is great dirt road riding out here as well. Pick up a Gazetteer for the region.
http://www.delorme.com/atlasgaz/regional.asp
All around the Olympics there is offroad and combined riding.
PM me if you ever need a riding partner out here.
Hawespipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 10:52 AM   #7
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,572
Thanks for the great tips!

I'll take you up on it this summer. My wife's folks live out on Hood Canal, and I owe my father-in-law a ton of time wiring his '38 Ford project.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawespipe
Howdy Tribsa,

I live out on the Olympic Peninsula and there is great dirt road riding out here as well. Pick up a Gazetteer for the region.
http://www.delorme.com/atlasgaz/regional.asp
All around the Olympics there is offroad and combined riding.
PM me if you ever need a riding partner out here.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 09:50 PM   #8
Saddletramp
a

Oddometer: 94
The Okanogan National Forest

Mt Larrabee, Washington

Hope I posted a photo here. It's above the ski hill at Mt Baker and is beautiful alpine. The Okanagon National Forest is fine dirt road riding. Hundreds of miles of fire roads, two track, trails with good villages, food and folks all along. Big enouph to get lost in, but you usually aren't too far from a latte. Master Card accepted. Good ride is Levenworth out Eagle Creek to Ardenvoir up Mud Creek to Chelan. This time of year still snow in the high country but from Chelan you can go north past Echo Valley, Cooper Mt. drop down Black Canyon go out SR 153 to Foggy Dew (I'm not making this up) to Black Pine Lake and into Winthrop. Winthrop to Pearegin Lake to FS42 to Connconelly. From here you can go noth in the Sinlahekin Valley to Canada. My favorite short ride is south up the Ruby Grade to Buzzard Lake. At every swithback there's a deserted mine. The Okanagon Forest map is essential and a gps is helpful. Wenatchee Nat Forest map good to the south. Lots of rides over there. A few of my photos in our gallery are in that country. Always want to plan two are three days if you can. Get back west by hwy 20 or Canada. I'm in Portland now, but spent years up there on BMWs and Hondas. Drop me a line. Good riding
Saddletramp

Saddletramp screwed with this post 06-24-2004 at 12:03 PM Reason: post photo?
Saddletramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 08:11 PM   #9
Saddletramp
a

Oddometer: 94
Granite Falls-Monte Christo-Darrington-Cascade Pass

Rat Trap Pass, Wa.

I think I got from Monte Christo to Gold Bar a few years back. Some good country out there. Also go to the San Juans. Orcas may be best.
Saddletramp
Saddletramp is offline   Reply With Quote