ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2008, 05:30 AM   #1
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 1,986
WV Historical Markers - Let's Find All 700

I’ve enjoyed following and participating in the WV Tag-O-Rama, and finding interesting locations led me to this site about the West Virginia Historical Marker Program. Here is a brief background of the Historical Marker Program as noted on their website:

It was implemented in 1937, during the Great Depression, to encourage tourism. The West Virginia Commission on Historic and Scenic Markers worked with the State Road Commission, Works Progress Administration, and Federal Emergency Relief Administration to place 440 markers during the first year alone. After World War II, markers were placed at the sites of most state-run facilities and schools. The West Virginia Historic Commission took over the program in 1963. Since the late 1960s, the program has been managed by the West Virginia State Archives, which is today part of the West Virginia Division of Culture & History.

The State Archives maintains files on each of the markers. Unfortunately, many of these files are outdated because markers have been moved and road names have been changed. Approximately 1,000 markers have been placed in West Virginia. However, the recent survey indicates nearly 30% are no longer standing and a majority of the remaining markers are in dire need of repair.There is no state funding to repair or replace markers. Some historical societies and civic groups assume the cost for refurbishing markers in their counties. Missing or damaged markers should be reported to the State Archives.

My goal in this thread is to gather photos and a brief footnote on all of the remaining markers. There should be about 700+ of them out there. If you visit the WV Historical Markers website http://www.wvculture.org/history/markers.html you can find lists of markers in each county. (See Markers Database page)

This is an opportunity for all riders to contribute to the awareness of our WV History (and to make up for sleeping through history class like I did - sorry, Mr. Poling!), and it’s just a good excuse to get out there and ride. I believe every county has at least a few markers, so nobody should feel left out.

A few simple guidelines, please:
1) Only photos of the rectangular white metal signs with the state insignia on the top. You know the ones I’m talking about. (See example below) Please, no funny/cute signs or ads. The wooden sign in the parking lot of Spruce Knob (“Highest Point in WV”) is a nice sign, but it’s not a Historical Marker. Sorry. If you want to start a separate thread for those, please feel free to do so. Thanks!

2) Please post a close-up photo of the sign sized large enough to read – I usually post 640X480 and that seems to work. Also, step back and take a photo or two of the general area and the specific attraction (if applicable). Include your bike in the area photo if you would like. Three to five photos should generally be the limit, unless there are multiple parts of the attraction. It would help to give general directions to the sign if others would like to visit it.

3) Brush off your writing skills and give us a 50-100 word essay on what the site meant to you. Perhaps you visited here as a kid, or it had some sort of special meaning, or you can elaborate on the history of the site beyond the writing on the marker.

4) File photos are OK, as long as you took them (no copying from other websites)

5) If you find that a marker is missing or moved, please make a note of it so others will know. Many are already listed as MIA on the WV website.

6) Keep it clean and keep it polite. There are some North/South/Slavery history markers that could easily start arguments. Keep any arguments/disagreements/politics offline on Personal Messages. We’re not here to judge the actions of our ancestors, just to preserve a bit of history.
Perhaps we can do a small part to assist the Dept of Archives and History to maintain these signs and keep a bit of WV history alive. Enough talk – now let’s get riding!!

To see what Markers have been posted, please click on the link below. As I find time, I will try to keep the list updated as much as possible.

TOTAL MARKERS TAGGED - Appx 825 (Accounts for duplicate County-Line markers)

MARKERS STILL AVAILABLE - Appx 20

UPDATE: 13 Sept 2014

Here is what I have TENTATIVELY - meaning, the markers were ordered and presumed to be delivered to the local DOH sign shops, but we don't know if they are in place. I stopped by our local shop earlier this year, and the sign man (Rick Reed) told me he had put up a few, but he still had some in the wrappers waiting to be installed. So.... with that in mind, here is a list of new or refurbished markers that MAY or MAY NOT be in place yet. The new markers did not have an exact location listed (which are on the list of questions for Joe).

*** SPREADSHEET IS BEING UPDATED WITH NEW AND REPLACED MARKERS - ****

HERE IS A LIST WITH UPDATES AS I GET NEW INFO - CLICK HERE To Find Available Markers, look for the X in the far RH column (Available)

NEW MARKERS:

Capon Lake Whipple Truss Bridge (Hampshire Co) Location ? - EDIT: Documented/Photographed

Stalnaker Cabin Site and Cemetery (Randolph Co) US 250, south of Beverly, near junction with Scott Lake Road
EDIT: Documented/Photographed

Oakwood Mine Complex (Fayette Co) WV 612, .65 miles west of Carlisle

Carswell Mining Complex (McDowell Co) WV 52, near Carswell Hollow Road

Lavina Norman (Cabell Co) 1500 block of 10th Avenue, Huntington

Jimtown/Phillips Cemetery (Randolph Co) - WV151, near intersection with Jimtown Road

WERE PREVIOUSLY LISTED AS MISSING:

Camp Carlile (Ohio CO) Zane St / N. Wabash St - Wheeling Island, Wheeling
Greenbrier CO / Virginia - Rt 60 (?)
Asa Gray / Buffalo Trail (Randolph Co) - Rt 250 near Pocahontas Co line
Fort Ogden (Grant Co) Rt 50 - E of Gormania - 1 mile west of CR 50-2
EDIT: Documented/Photographed Aug2014
Fairfax Line (Grant Co) Rt 220 - 1 mile south of Petersburg
Dunmore's Camp (Wood Co) - Rt 2 - Waverly
Huntington (Cabell Co) - Rt 60 (5th Ave) between 7th and 8th Street
Lover's Leap (Morgan Co) - Rt 522 - north of Berkeley Springs (better get this one before someone steals it again!)
Mason-Dixon Line (Preston Co) - Rt 26 NE of Bruceton Mills at the PA state line. (** Note: still missing as of July2014)
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 09-13-2014 at 04:49 AM
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:25 AM   #2
vatrader01
vatrader01

Oddometer: 1,164
Watkins Ferry

Marker is on Route 11 north of Falling Waters, Berkeley County WV on the left driving north, before you cross the bridge.

When the American Indian uprising occurred in the 1750s, a fort called Maidstone was established at the Watkins Ferry crossing. On May 9, 1770, Lord Fairfax granted lots 5,6, 11 and 12 to Evan Watkins at a place called Maidstone on the Potomac River, though not much of a town or village ever developed here. This would be the earliest known area carved out into lots in what is now Berkeley County.
vatrader01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:51 AM   #3
scfrank
I'm back - sort of.

Oddometer: 7,548
Thanks for the pics. I enjoy looking through them.

I was born in Wheeling. My grandpa lived north of New Martinsville. A monument for the 'western end' of the Mason-Dixon line was on his property. The house he lived in is gone now, but I'm sure the monument is still there.

It was actually just above Proctor, on Rt. 2.

I always said it was the first house south of the Mason Dixon line on the Ohio River.

"No, I give it up." Alice replied. "What's the answer?"

"I haven't the slightest idea." Said the Hatter.

"Nor, I" said the March Hare.
scfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:57 AM   #4
vatrader01
vatrader01

Hedgesville

Marker is located in Hedgesville, Berkeley County WV on the right heading west on Route 9.

On August 17, 2004, President George W. Bush made a re-election campaign stop at Hedgesville High School. A highly unusual event for Hedgesville. Population from the 2000 US Census Bureau the population was 240 at the time of the visit.

Mt. Zion Church

Snodgrass Tavern

Its most famous guest was George Washington, who ate and spent the night there on September 5, 1784
Edgar Allen Poe frequently visited the Tavern, and is said to have conceived his poem "The Raven" there.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:23 PM   #5
vatrader01
vatrader01

Swan Pond

Marker is at the intersection of Route 45 and Files Road, four miles east of Martinsburg, Berkeley County WV.

In 1915 a typhoid outbreak killed nearly everyone living near this estate. To prevent spread of the infection, most of the buildings in the area were burned.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:02 PM   #6
vatrader01
vatrader01

Berkeley / Morgan County Line

Marker is on Route 9 at the Berkeley / Morgan County line, on the Morgan County side of the bridge.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:29 PM   #7
vatrader01
vatrader01

Claysville United Methodist Church

Marker is located on US Route 50 and intersection of WV 93.
Claysville, Mineral County, WV

Old 05-26-2009, 09:14 PM   #8
elroyjetsn
Mountain Fan

Oddometer: 392
Swan Pond Resident Checking In!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatrader01
Marker is at the intersection of Route 45 and Files Road, four miles east of Martinsburg, Berkeley County WV.

"Swan Pond Marker" on rt. 45

In 1915 a typhoid outbreak killed nearly everyone living near this estate. To prevent spread of the infection, most of the buildings in the area were burned.

That new marker just went up about 2 months ago maybe. My house is only a couple hundred yards from it in Swan Pond. This is also my first post. Hope I can contribute a few markers, too!

Wayne

elroyjetsn screwed with this post 05-26-2009 at 09:25 PM
elroyjetsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:59 AM   #9
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 1,986
Welcome, Elroy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elroyjetsn
That new marker just went up about 2 months ago maybe. My house is only a couple hundred yards from it in Swan Pond. This is also my first post. Hope I can contribute a few markers, too!

Wayne
Welcome!!
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:19 AM   #10
vatrader01
vatrader01

Ice Mountain

Marker is located at intersection of Route 50 and WV 29 North, Hampshire County WV.

More information on Ice Mountain can be found here

http://www.nature.org/wherewework/no...s/art1208.html
Old 05-11-2009, 12:50 PM   #11
vatrader01
vatrader01

Sir Johns Run

Marker is at the intersection of West Virginia Route 9 and Sir John Run Road, Morgan County WV, on the right when traveling west on State Route 9.

Sir Johns Run formerly served on the old Baltimore and Ohio Railroad mainline as an early passenger station for Berkeley Springs. Today it is primarily a residential community of Berkeley Springs accessible by Sir Johns Run Road (County Route 3). Sir Johns Run had its own post office in operation from 1850 to 1938. Today, the stream and its namesake hamlet are a site on the Washington Heritage Trail.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:28 AM   #12
vatrader01
vatrader01

Don Redman

This marker is located on Rt 46 in Piedmont, Mineral County WV at the bridge that crosses into Westernport, MD.

Redman’s best known compositions include “Cherry” (1928), “Gee baby, ain't I good to you” with lyricist Andy Razaf (1929), “Shakin’ the African” (1930), and “Hot and Anxious” (1931). The National Park Service established the Annual Don Redman Heritage Awards & Concert in Harpers Ferry National Park in 2001.

Inducted into the Big Band and Jazz Hall of Fame in 1990

Old 05-12-2009, 01:06 PM   #13
vatrader01
vatrader01

Keyser / Averell's Raid

This "Two-fer" marker is located at the intersection of WV Rt 220 and Carskadon Lane in Keyser, Mineral County WV

Keyser was originally named Paddy Town after Patrick McCarty, son of one of the original settlers. 1852 saw the coming of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, beginning the change of a quiet rural community to a thriving industrial center. The name was changed to New Creek Station, then shortened to New Creek.
In 1861, The War of Northern Aggression settled into the valley. Fort Fuller was built on the grounds that now house Potomac State College, and Fort Piano entrenchments were established on New Creek Mountain. Due to great importance of the railroad, the town changed hands 14 times during the war.
When West Virginia became a state in 1863, there was much contention over the location of the County Seat between Piedmont and New Creek [Keyser]. Local businessmen, the Davis Brothers, donated one acre of land for the courthouse which was built in 1867 and is still in use today.
In another political conivance, the town changed it's name once again in 1874 to Keyser, to honor William Keyser, then Vice president of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. This action was used to gain favor to ensure that the B & O Railroad would move rail operations from Piedmont to Keyser, insuring a brighter future for the community.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:39 PM   #14
vatrader01
vatrader01

Keyser / Averell's Raid East Piedmont St.

This marker is located in front of the Keyser High School building on E. Peidmont St. in Keyser. I find no record of a marker at this location, however, when asked, a local resident stated that the marker had been there "a right long while".

Old 05-12-2009, 02:33 PM   #15
vatrader01
vatrader01

Fort Pleasant

Marker is located on Rt 220 in Old Fields, Hardy County WV

At the time the forts were built, neither the local inhabitants or the soldiers assigned there could imagine the impact of the lower fort on the region. Called Fort Pleasant shortly after its completion, within a couple of years it became the military headquarters for the South Branch Valley, the seat of the county court and its vital records, and a significant location involved in the transformation of the economy from a local to a regional focus. History illustrates the value a fort sometimes had within its neighborhood beyond mere defensive considerations.