User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2008, 05:43 PM   #1
V@lentino OP
Inspektor

Oddometer: 816
Cool2 The motorcycle chronicles of Jackie & Valentino

I have been a member of this forum for a few months now, and have been mesmerized by all the amazing ride reports. I make it a point to spend too much time everyday reading another great adventure, as my ST 1300 now sits lonely in the garage, parked on her center stand. I have more time to drool over the fantastic pics and enjoy the first hand accounts of the “wriders”. The comments generated by the rest of the inmates tie the whole thing together perfectly.

I just love it

For the last few months I have been longing to put a ride report together, but could not find the time to do it properly.

Well guess what? I now have a bit more time. Although I maintained a blog during the trip, the interaction you get from the RR is not just the same.

Here we go enjoy:

My wife and I had been planing our trip for just over a year, and it was now coming to the last few days before push back.

April 10 2008.
Adequately prepared, farkled, packed and crated, the Black Beauty would start ahead of us making her way across the pond. All we needed to do was finalize the last minor details before we would made our way to the airport on April 16.

So we re-counted all the days between the last day at work and the first day we would have to be back, came up with the magic number of 115, divided the bulk of the trip between Spain, Italy, and Greece about 60 days. Saved a few days to acclimatize, ship the bike back to Canada, and recover. Decided where each of us absolutely wanted to go, and opted for loosely connecting dots on the map of central-western Europe for the remaining days.

In the end it looked like this.

And the plan was something like that

By now ST was on her way from Winnipeg to Calgary in the back of a truck, than on the jumbo jet to Frankfurt, and another quick solo road trip to Amsterdam.

We would take a much more direct route with just a quick stop in Minneapolis.

Leg one Amsterdam to Winnipeg via Mall of America.

See you in the Netherlands

If you wonder what’s the deal with the Jackie and Valentino bit, stick around.

The motorcycle chronicles of Jackie & Valentino
The Southern Episode

V@lentino screwed with this post 12-13-2009 at 05:23 PM
V@lentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 06:23 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,811
Wow!! A dream come true!!

Looking forward to your excellent European adventure!!!

Old 12-03-2008, 06:30 PM   #3
LoCat
Time it's a bitch

Oddometer: 321
I'm in

Sounds like a great trip looking forward to it.

Jumbo jet to Frankfurt for the bike hmmmmm wonder what that runs
LoCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 06:34 PM   #4
Moraflex
Banned

Oddometer: 1,342
I'm ready
Moraflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 06:48 PM   #5
V@lentino OP
Inspektor

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCat
Jumbo jet to Frankfurt for the bike hmmmmm wonder what that runs
Actually not so bad, but there's a trick:

Marry a Flight Attendant, they are good looking, resilient, don't take crap from anybody, and come with all kinds of fringe benefits.

Like the marry me fly free program.

The Southern Episode
Old 12-03-2008, 07:35 PM   #6
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,811
Lucky bastige!! You married well

Old 12-03-2008, 07:40 PM   #7
Nelson
Shadow Boxer

Oddometer: 818
In for some good winter reading!
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:38 PM   #8
V@lentino OP
Inspektor

Bye Bye Amsterdam

Friday April 18

When was the last time you got to see a dog sing the blues,

a young mom carry 3 kids on two wheels while speaking on her mobile and passing a 3 wheeled car. Had an Irish breakfast, see an original Van Goth, snacked on fries spiced with mayo and curry sauce, had nutty chocolate truffle made right in front of you for dessert, a Turkish pizza for lunch, and fresh fish with a hottie named Jackie for dinner.

Well in a nut shell that was a very small part of my first few days in Amsterdam.

We where expecting the motorcycle for this morning, but if looks like it it will have to wait until Monday. the bad news is we will miss a tour of the tulip fields on Sunday, the good news is that there are lot of worst places to be stuck-in for the weekend than Amsterdam.

The coffee shop where the scene in Ocean's 12 was shot

The canals at night

Some of the local talent

Finally Monday morning came, as I laid awake with trepidation I realized it was still only 0545. Waken by the pleasant melodious coo cooooo coo of white doves perched on the window sill.... Ok! Ok! so maybe they were just a couple of pigeons on acid, what do I know.

The first call to the cargo handling company was at 0700, time to go get ST...hopefully

“yes your crate as been received”, was the answer that came through Skype from a heavy Dutch accented English.

Goed, goed I answered back. (but with a Dutch accent, sounds like good-with a guttural “gh”) You see I have only being in Amsterdam for four days, and my Dutch has improve enormously.

Next, time to Skype my Dutch twin.

Stand by for a call from Rob, he will give you a ring just before he picks you up in Sapharti park, be ready, he drives a VW van.

Goed-goed I said (my Dutch was indeed getting better), we will be downstairs waiting.

Jackie waiting

As I made my way down the perilous steps from our third floor flat, I felt a wave of frenetic energy running up and down my spine. I would have to be patient, then I noticed that right in front of our B&B was the only vacant spot on the very busy street, where shortly after Rob pulled in behind the wheel of his VW van. As I buckled up, and started to exchange my first few words with the jovial Rob, who I was meeting for the very first time,
he told me:
"I have have 10lt of gas, and I brought some tools just in case we need them."

As I listened to his voice, I settled into my seat, took a deep breath, taking in the buzz of the city, then let out a comforting sigh, this type of process is rarely smooth, but I smiled, and relaxed, the sun was shinning, it was going to be a great day.

Yup the Black Beauty made it in one piece.

Gota have gas

Get rid of this please

Notice the Russel, who said an adventure can't be comfortable

Almost done

From the time we got to the cargo, it took about 4 hrs, and I was pressing the start button, ST roared on the first try. The whole thing was seamless, and if the handler would have been more efficient, and if custom would have stamped the waybill the first time we went to see them we would have been done in an hour and a half.

Our first ride was through the beautiful country side of Holland, guided by René who was virtuously opening the rode at the helm of his black ST.

Meet the twins

And the Valentino Dood

-It must have been very confusing for the cagers- 2 black ST, 2 guys named René.

I was learning to negotiate the roundabouts, and slowly getting accustomed with the European traffic protocols. We winded down the day in Eden-Leur, still not quite sure what serendipity had brought us here.

As I laid in bed under my duvet after an easy 250 km ride through the dikes, followed by a couple of local beers, I could not help but smile, and think goed, goed, you know with the guttural Dutch “gh”... I fell asleep knowing that by the morning I would be fluent in Dutch.

Tomorrow we head for Luxembourg and the adventure begins.

The Southern Episode

V@lentino screwed with this post 12-15-2009 at 10:52 PM
Old 12-03-2008, 09:35 PM   #9
ChuckV
Itinerant Settler

Oddometer: 56
Fascinating Rene! Thanks to you for taking the time to post. I look forward to following your adventure.

C~
ChuckV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 06:37 PM   #10
V@lentino OP
Inspektor

Amsterdam

April 16

We love Amsterdam, It’s one of my top 3 favorite cities in Europe. As soon as we landed in Schiphol, I pulled out the Macbook and skypped the receiving broker to see if ST had made it safe and sound.

Hum... No sorry he says, the motorbike is not here yet, call me back tomorrow.

Ok dank u, no problem we had a couple of days until the 18 for a planned ride to see the keukenhof accompanied by the ST Owners Club of Holland. All of it arranged by a friend that I was yet to meet in person.

What are the chances of meeting a rider through a motorcycle forum that rides the same bike as you do, make and color. Has the same first name, and has a warehouse 5 ms from the airport where you want to ship your motorbike, makes himself available to help with the logistic for shipping and receiving a 800 lbs bike and all the crap 2 people carry for a 3 months trip. Well if you’d asked me, I’d tell you they’re pretty good.

So my next call was to my Dutch homonym:

No worries he says, call me when the bike gets there and we will come and pick you up.

Kewl, plenty of things to do in Amsterdam.

So we hopped on the train to Centrum to take tram 25 to Sapharti park. Our future dwelling for the next few days, no stress we are on one hell of a vacation, and Jackie wants to take a nap and go to the Albert Cuyp market.

Meet Jackie

The Southern Episode
Old 03-25-2013, 04:15 AM   #11
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,789
Well, ac_elite, when you produce a quality RR, folks will keep going back.

Thanks for posting it!
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote