User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2008, 07:15 PM   #1
CSMonte OP
Where am I?

Oddometer: 45
Call all XR600R!!!

Was wondering who else on here had a XR600R and what kind of mods and upgrades they have put on there bikes.

Mine is currently getting a big bore kit. Just hooked up a Trail Tech Vapor to it and SportVue MC2, some brand new DOT Rated Dual Sport Knobby Tires, FMF PowerCore 4 with spark arrestor and FMF Hi-Flo Header and last Frame is out for powder coating and fairing is getting a custome paint job.

Thats all I got for right now want to do alot more but just havn't bought the parts yet. My buddy told me theres a way to mount the XR650L electric start on the XR600R want to look into that.

Here's a pic of me on the bike day after I got it, before I road it off to the hanger to brake it down.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:37 PM   #2
lewismedlock

Oddometer: 12,901
I bought my 86 from M and M Honda in Albuquerque, new, in July 87. It's seen 90 mph in the desert of New Mexico, it's been above 12,000 feet in Colorado, and all over NE Oklahoma. It's the best $2284 I ever spent.

It's still just like I bought it, with the exception of the tires, chain and sprockets, and air filter. I only ride it once or twice a year now. In fact, I haven't started it in a few months. It will wear my ass out to start it, but it still runs like a scalded dog.

lewismedlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:07 PM   #3
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,325
I have a link in my sig line to the build from March 08.

Adjusted the valves last night, getting it prepped for a week in Big Bend Nat'l Park after Christmas.

IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:17 PM   #4
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,441
Bought my '95 model in '96 with 2,000 k's on it.
It has seen all sorts of abuse and some really filthy offroad stuff, and never let me down.
Last year it finally swallowed the standard choke plate (I had the replacement part for 5 yrs but never got around to fitting it.) so I handed it over to a good workshop and got a new piston, rings, rebore, 2 new stainless inlet valves, then new guides, seats recut, all that stuff, and while it was there I got them to straighten the subframe (common problem with abusive owners) and plumb in an XR400 oil cooler, then topped it off with a full staintune exhaust with big bore headers.
It goes real nice. I put heavier springs in the front for the 21 litre acerbis tank and a heavier (11kg) spring in the rear, but the rear should really be a 12kg.
Also, I had the stator rewound and it now supports a hella headlight unit with a 55/100 watt hella globe. Recent additions include Pivot pegz (really cool to ride with) and a screen (old farts luxury). I'm about to ad a KTM folding morror to replace the acerbis pedal bike folding mirror I've been using for the last 10 years.
All up, this bike has been an absolute blast to own and ride, and is a keeper. My first keeper, actually. I love this thing, and hope to be buried with it (not too soon though ).
Strangely, I have not fixed the godawful seat. This remains a mystery to me.

I think my "old" XR600R is superior to many of the new flashy disposa-bikes currently getting around. It will do anything they will, and for longer, just maybe take a touch longer to get there. And that motor! Oh, I love a tractor. Pick a gear and just leave it.

IMHO the XR600R is the best dirt bike ever made. A true all-rounder.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:22 PM   #5
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla
IMHO the XR600R is the best dirt bike ever made. A true all-rounder.
werd.

I've had RFS, LC4, KTM 2T... this one will be around a while.

This winter I hope to find the time to:

JE piston, 1st over, 10.5:1
Stainless valves
mild cam, hardened rockers
Mikuni flatslide

Quote:
I put heavier springs in the front for the 21 litre acerbis tank and a heavier (11kg) spring in the rear, but the rear should really be a 12kg.
The suspension was the best money spent, by far. (Eibach spring)
The local guy who did the forks and shock is a wizard.

IBA #11735 . 1968-present

Blakebird screwed with this post 12-08-2008 at 08:27 PM
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:52 PM   #6
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,441
I agree with the suspension comment. Out of the box they just do everything from the word go, but the standard springs sag out very rapidly when a larger tank goes on. The suspension was the best money I've spent on it, it not only retores the handling but the ride is rather good too for an older type suspension.
I forgot to mention before I addded a braided brake line (the rubber one turned into expandomatic) and a Braking wave disk on the front. Rear disc is now warped and shot (I'm not surprised) so that one's next.
I also added a light-action clutch lever which cost a whole $14.95, and it makes a considerable difference to the riding enjoyment and fine clutch control. I still run the original grips and throttle, and I only replaced the original cables because I found a single strand had let go after 10 years. Not bad considering the environment these things operate in. A little simple maintenance is all they require for long life and reliable service (unlike my KTM, which is almost like sevicing a road bike).
My chain and chaingang sprockets have done around 30,000 k's now and are starting to show signs of terminal wear, so replacements will be in order, but if I can get another decade out of the replacements I'll be happy. Overall, the bike has been cheap as chips to own, a breeze to work on, and a hoot to ride.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:25 PM   #7
SAFETYFIFTH
Let's Rip Lip!

Oddometer: 584
beautiful bike blakebird
Old 07-19-2009, 09:21 PM   #8
FoolishMortal
Hits close to home.

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
I also added a light-action clutch lever which cost a whole $14.95, and it makes a considerable difference to the riding enjoyment and fine clutch control.
More info, please?
FoolishMortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:00 PM   #9
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,389
XR mania

I had a 93 XR600R for six years of hard trail riding, off road vacations, enduro, harescrambles, ice racing, you name. Nothing but routine maintenance and a few wear items. Similar time and experiences with an 84 XR500R years before that... and with a 2000 XR650R years since.

A lot of people are gonna miss that era of low maintenance, big durable and reliable thumpers.

2014 Yamaha FZ9
1973 Norton Commando & other old stuff
roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:50 AM   #10
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,821
I *may* be joining y'all's ranks here shortly. I'm tryin to work a trade for a 95 XR600 that needs TLC for a bicycle. Dood's around the corner. Sez the bike was running when he parked it 8mos ago.

So... what's the secret handshake?

Its not done, so I can't get too excited. Sounds good tho!

M
Old 12-26-2008, 02:54 PM   #11
fully_geed
Listens to Tom Waits

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
I *may* be joining y'all's ranks here shortly. I'm tryin to work a trade for a 95 XR600 that needs TLC for a bicycle. Dood's around the corner. Sez the bike was running when he parked it 8mos ago.

So... what's the secret handshake?
Good luck on your transaction, my man -

But the secret handshake is not all that secret: It's laid out there in plain sight on a bike/platform of proven technology over 20 years old! I always loved the XR600s. Glad to see so many people posting them up here!
Old 12-26-2008, 03:05 PM   #12
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,631
The secret handshake is kicking your right leg 30 times.

geed, I just noticed you Avitar. 3 points for ZardoZ

Marc
Old 12-28-2008, 09:26 PM   #13
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax
The secret handshake is kicking your right leg 30 times. Marc
I'm tryin to avoid that!

So... twist the throttle twice

Say the sauber woerter (magic words auf Deutsch)

Spin around three times in a counter-clockwise direction

Hope she fires?

M
Old 12-28-2008, 09:52 PM   #14
Dave JP
BRP Rider

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
I'm tryin to avoid that!

So... twist the throttle twice

Say the sauber woerter (magic words auf Deutsch)

Spin around three times in a counter-clockwise direction

Hope she fires?

M
She won't understand the Deutsch. Try some きれいな言葉 in Japanese, especially during this Tucson cold spell. She should fire right up.
Dave JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:06 PM   #15
chain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,758
Lot's of miles and mods on a 97 XR600

Hondas greatest tractor!

chain is offline   Reply With Quote