User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2004, 07:38 PM   #1
inte OP
neophyte serendipity

Oddometer: 2,738
640 Adventure Fan

Is there a way to get the fan to kick in sooner on an '03 KTM 640 Adventure?

For whatever reason the bike is getting VERY hot lately. Never did this before. The only thing that's changed recently is I swapped the original coolant for 100% Engine Ice - seems like that stuff runs hotter!

Just driving city traffic today within 2 blocks the temp is at 6 bars!! Last week it actually pegged at 7 bars & started flashing along with the red overheat idiot light. Fan kicks in at 6 bars, but I'd like it to come on sooner.
inte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 07:50 PM   #2
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,355
If the engine is running noticeably hotter since you changed the coolant, then I think you have your answer - something changed when the coolant did.

I'd go after the cause rather than trying to mask the symptom with more cooling fan action. You wouldn't think the new type of coolant would cause the problem, so I'd next suspect you have some air in the system.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 08:44 PM   #3
inte OP
neophyte serendipity

Oddometer: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
If the engine is running noticeably hotter since you changed the coolant, then I think you have your answer - something changed when the coolant did.

I'd go after the cause rather than trying to mask the symptom with more cooling fan action. You wouldn't think the new type of coolant would cause the problem, so I'd next suspect you have some air in the system.

- Mark
Good call - but if there's air in there, how do I get it out? I did the following to flush the coolant:

---------------------------
1) Drain old coolant (from lower connecting hose between the two radiators) - fill with distilled water - run bike w/cap off until thermostat pops open (see water turn colour suddenly). Drain that water...

...repeat step 1 three times...water is now clear.

2) Fill with 100% Engine Ice, run with cap off until thermostat pops open - coolant level drops slightly - top off, run again. Check level & top if necessary.
---------------------------
I figure running with the cap off would allow any air to 'burp' out of the system ... is there something I might not be doing...?
inte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 09:24 PM   #4
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,355
Sounds like you're doing it correctly, but perhaps someone who has done it has some tips - these things can be tricky. I'm about to do mine, so any help appreciated. You might get on KTMTalk and see if anyone there has any tips.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 04:02 AM   #5
a_k_nicholls
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Im not sure if this may help at all, But do you know if the Engine Ice coolant is ment to be pre-mixed with water or is already diluted when you buy it. Im not sure about this brand but I do know that if you use 100% Glycol type coolant the engine will run hotter than normal, It aparantly needs water with it to disipate the heat. We normaly mix straight coolant at a ration of between 33% & 50%.

As I said may not be the problem but worth a thought though.

Words of wisdom
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Go soothingly on the grease mud, As there lurks the skid demon. Press the brake foot as you roll around the corners, And save the collapse and tie up.

F650GS Dakar in Australia
a_k_nicholls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 05:19 AM   #6
wjohnb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Coolant Hot

Had a similar thing happen when I changed coolant on my LC4E. The way the two rads top tank vent line runs (through the frame) will not allow the air to get out of the lhs rad. When refilling, I found out that I could not get back in the system the same volume that I took out!.

So, filled as much as I could, then dropped the bike onto the lhs to let all the air escape from the lhs rad, stood it back up and then added the remaining coolant. Been OK since.

Hope that this helps.
wjohnb is offline   Reply With Quote