ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2009, 04:10 PM   #1
whitetiger7654 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Oddometer: 222
ATGATT takes the fun out of riding?

I love to ride my bike many for many reasons. But sometimes it seems like ATGATT takes the fun and desire out of it. I may be thinking great weather today, but when I think about getting all geared up I'm just like forget it. It's more like work. Do you guys ever get like this?
__________________
Robert
Suzuki DR650
Gunlovers.net
My Webshots Pictures
whitetiger7654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:16 PM   #2
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew
 
ikonoklass's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Oddometer: 2,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetiger7654
I love to ride my bike many for many reasons. But sometimes it seems like ATGATT takes the fun and desire out of it. I may be thinking great weather today, but when I think about getting all geared up I'm just like forget it. It's more like work. Do you guys ever get like this?
As long as my intent is to "go for a ride," it doesn't bother me, but it's probably the reason I don't commute to work by motorcycle. The time it takes to get dressed and undressed is almost as long as the commute.
__________________
2012 Speed Triple
2005 R1200GS
1998 FXDL
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:52 PM   #3
Andrejs2112
ihatecars
 
Andrejs2112's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Harbor Springs, Michigan
Oddometer: 666
Road rash takes the fun out of riding.
__________________
2006 Buell Ulysses
2006 KTM 950 Adventure
Andrejs2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:31 PM   #4
whitetiger7654 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrejs2112
Road rash takes the fun out of riding.
I completely agree, so does broken bones and such. Which is why I don't do it. But as ikono mentioned at first I always rode to work and school. But now getting geared up takes so much time it's much quicker just to drive.
__________________
Robert
Suzuki DR650
Gunlovers.net
My Webshots Pictures
whitetiger7654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:24 AM   #5
markk53
jack of all trades...
 
markk53's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Delaware Ohio
Oddometer: 7,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetiger7654
I completely agree, so does broken bones and such. Which is why I don't do it. But as ikono mentioned at first I always rode to work and school. But now getting geared up takes so much time it's much quicker just to drive.
Personally I have a multitude of circumstances I use to decide what to do.

When I ride, I decide what I am willing to risk. Always a helmet since head injuries don't heal like a skinned up arm or leg.

I figure how I plan to ride and where.

If I am riding to school (work) I may do the minimal for the weather. I go 7 miles, three stop signs, two lefts, and two rights, on a relatively rural road with medium traffic and actually NO curves (part of what I hate about the flat lands here). I am not thrashing and am very aware of my surroundings. I will risk no coat, boots, etc. but always a helmet and usually gloves.

When we're doing the "supermoto" or back roads thing, I'll wear boots (MX or one of my over ankle bike boots), gloves, coat (now more often with elbow pads and shoulder cups for a reason to be noted later), and obviously helmet and goggles.

If it's more of an open road longer ride I may or may not wear the coat and such. That would be like on the 79 mile ride to Mid Ohio for the races. We aren't really thrashing, the towns we go through are small, the road doesn't have heavy traffic except in Lexington and at the track. So I justify a bit more risk on gear.

I will say I always wear the helmet, no matter what. I like a lot of air flow on hot days so I even wear the MX helmet on my street bike. I wish there was a way to see how effective the venting of helmets can be. I had an AGV Stinger with like ten vents - no flow. I don't see why they can't get real vents that can flow at least half of what you'd have with those bicycle helmets. I wish I had the where-with-all to make something like that.

When it comes to the coat, I have a black 3 season Heine Gericke Boost that I wear when it's under say 65°, almost never take the liner out. My favorite is an old First Gear Timbuktu 3/4 jacket (sort of an Eisenhower for you older guys out there) I got back around 1992. It has a Thinsulate liner with 3/4 sleeves, full width cape (back) vent double zippered so I open them to the center, nearly 12" long sleeve vents that I only open about 1/2 way (and also make the arm pads move around making me wonder just how effective they are), and a zip/snap front that I may only snap on hot days.

The really good part is the Timbuktu coat is mainly red and white - cool colors that don't absorb the sun's radiated heat. Unfortunately the white shows dirt really bad especially at the neck, later versions had black collars. The other good part about the coat is that the padding holds it away from your skin a bit and allows fantastic air flow. I don't bother to remove the liner in it very often either. The air flows so well that at any speed over about 25 mph it is cooler to wear the coat than not on a sunny day. So I've taken to wearing it a lot more than I used to, because it IS cooler to wear it than not.

So it isn't that I wear all the gear all or most of the time from a safety standpoint. I chose how much risk and also comfort when I decide what to wear. I am chosing to wear the coat more often because of comfort too. If we get on a long open drone where I don't want to wear a coat, I can always take it off and bungee it on the rack or seat anyway.

There's my take on it... for what it is worth.

By the way occasionally a search on First Gear Timbuktu will bring up either a NOS coat or a decent used one. I recommend them highly with dense foam forearm pads and hard shoulder cups, even has a 20 oz. fluids bladder that can be used and a storage pouch in the back (like a hunting jacket) to store the liner if one removes it on a ride. Probably could fit a chest protector under the coat with the coat armor removed, that would really promote air flow. I think the last one I saw on line was like $89. Well worth it.
__________________
Ever get lost? You know, that good kind of lost - come to a dirt road intersection and you have no idea where you are or which way to turn? I like when that happens!

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:34 PM   #6
tedder
irregular
 
tedder's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Los Angeles (ktown)
Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrejs2112
Road rash takes the fun out of riding.
Well said.

The gear doesn't bother me- it's part of the riding experience.
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:04 PM   #7
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous
 
bwringer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Indianapolis
Oddometer: 2,043
Talking

Get better gear if it bugs you. One of the big upsides to drinking the Aerostich Kool-Aid is that you can get in and out of the suit in about 3.2 seconds. If you can afford one, they're said to be the bee's knees for commuters.

I dunno -- I don't really think about it. Some mornings I don't feel like showering or brushing my teeth, but it's sort of just automatic and part of what you have to do to be a functioning human. Same for gearing up.

I find that I'm a lot more comfortable in proper gear, so it's well worth it even for short trips. A lot of the "biker bros" around here make cracks about my helmet and gear, but they tend to shut up when I happily mention I just rode 300 miles before lunch in complete comfort -- you simply can't do that in a black t-shirt and do-rag.

I also find that the few seconds it takes to put on the gear are also useful for getting into the proper attentive/paranoid/hyper-alert state of mind you need on a bike. When the helmet slides over my head, something wakes up in my brain.

You know the scene in every adventure movie when they're gearing up to kick ass? Strapping on knives, loading shotguns, slinging grenades, click, clack, ka-chunk? Same deal with putting on your riding armor -- you're gearing up to kick ass and take names...
__________________
1983 Suzuki GS850G, Cosmic Blue
2002 Suzuki Vstrom DL1000, Midnight Blue
2005 Kawasaki KLR685 - Turd II.2, The ReReTurdening
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:24 PM   #8
Hatch
PAR OG
 
Hatch's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Montrose, Co
Oddometer: 2,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer
You know the scene in every adventure movie when they're gearing up to kick ass? Strapping on knives, loading shotguns, slinging grenades, click, clack, ka-chunk? Same deal with putting on your riding armor -- you're gearing up to kick ass and take names...
+1

Though I aint no kool-aid sipper, I can only afford one nice helmet, gloves, leather jacket, jeans, and work boots (unless Im riding offroad, which then I wear the MX boots).
__________________
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
Hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:16 PM   #9
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer
 
basketcase's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Roll Tide Central...
Oddometer: 1,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer
Get better gear if it bugs you. One of the big upsides to drinking the Aerostich Kool-Aid is that you can get in and out of the suit in about 3.2 seconds. If you can afford one, they're said to be the bee's knees for commuters.

I dunno -- I don't really think about it. Some mornings I don't feel like showering or brushing my teeth, but it's sort of just automatic and part of what you have to do to be a functioning human. Same for gearing up.

I find that I'm a lot more comfortable in proper gear, so it's well worth it even for short trips. A lot of the "biker bros" around here make cracks about my helmet and gear, but they tend to shut up when I happily mention I just rode 300 miles before lunch in complete comfort -- you simply can't do that in a black t-shirt and do-rag.

I also find that the few seconds it takes to put on the gear are also useful for getting into the proper attentive/paranoid/hyper-alert state of mind you need on a bike. When the helmet slides over my head, something wakes up in my brain.

You know the scene in every adventure movie when they're gearing up to kick ass? Strapping on knives, loading shotguns, slinging grenades, click, clack, ka-chunk? Same deal with putting on your riding armor -- you're gearing up to kick ass and take names...
+ 1 for everything said here.

In particular, getting into my 2-piece Roadcrafter takes a minute or less -- time spent that you would really appreciate during a short airborne trip between leaving the saddle and hitting the ground. Don't worry about how I know this, just trust me...
__________________
'00 R1100RT
------------
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:23 PM   #10
apeirce
So I was following Andrew
 
apeirce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: CT USA
Oddometer: 2,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer
I also find that the few seconds it takes to put on the gear are also useful for getting into the proper attentive/paranoid/hyper-alert state of mind you need on a bike. When the helmet slides over my head, something wakes up in my brain.

+1
__________________
I have friends, and I know other motorcyclists. But truly the best are friends who are motorcyclists.
apeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:05 PM   #11
Lochlyn_Deckard
Dex Moto(naut)
 
Lochlyn_Deckard's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New York, United States
Oddometer: 989
On a nasty hot humid day, I definitely feel like this. It can be a huge PITA sometimes. But the alternative is not something I consider. ATGATT or I don't ride.

Ever see something you want to photograph along the road, something that is time sensitive, like you better take the pic in the next 30 seconds or you don't get it? Yeah, good luck with that. ATGATT (including a non flip-up full face helmet) is not conducive to spontaneous photography. A DSLR will not fit up to me eye no matter how hard I try!
__________________
2003 Kawasaki Ninja 500 R - MFP ADV
www.ninja250.org www.ex-500.com
Flickr - Lochlyn Deckard (D.C.D.)
Lochlyn_Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:20 AM   #12
Moving Pictures
Sir Loin of Biff
 
Moving Pictures's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: God's Country, New Brunswick
Oddometer: 8,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlyn_Deckard
Ever see something you want to photograph along the road, something that is time sensitive, like you better take the pic in the next 30 seconds or you don't get it? Yeah, good luck with that. ATGATT (including a non flip-up full face helmet) is not conducive to spontaneous photography. A DSLR will not fit up to me eye no matter how hard I try!
Wrong on two fronts. I have a DSLR, and I can get it out of the panniers and ready for shooting in about 10 seconds.

But I also have a tiny point-and-shoot, too.
__________________
People before prophets.
Moving Pictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:38 AM   #13
snarf
WFO and clueless
 
snarf's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Wichita, KS
Oddometer: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlyn_Deckard
ATGATT or I don't ride.
I agree completely. I do understand where the OP is coming from; but in all honesty, I dont think i could ever ride a bike more than just a block or two down to my buddy's house without wearing the gear. Its scary as hell how naked you feel after spending 19 years wearing full suits of fooroad gear or leathers.

I really dont know how squids can do it. Riding 300 feet to my buiddys house in my helmet and street clothes [at 20 mph] makes me SUPER nervous.
__________________
-Derek
'If you wanna play tough, you better be stupid!'
snarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:28 PM   #14
OLDNX
Studly Adventurer
 
OLDNX's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: L.A. lower alabama
Oddometer: 593
Its worth the time to gear up. If I'm lazy. I still wear helmet, jacket, overpants, gloves and will forget the boots. Just running around town or going to work{short distance} is when Murphy is waiting for you to drop your guard. Getting dressed helps clear my mind and prepare for the battle with the boxes. I don't remember who I stole this quoit from but I remember it every time I ride . If you ride a motorcycle often, you will be killed by it. That much is sure as night follows day. Your responsibility is to be so vigilant and careful to push that eventuality so far forward that you die of old age first
__________________
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck
OLDNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:16 PM   #15
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer
 
DAKEZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: OR
Oddometer: 19,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrejs2112
Road rash takes the fun out of riding.
+ 1000 as do concussions. What is the big deal about putting on gear?

OP, You should sell your bikes cheap...
__________________
“Watch out for everything bigger than you, they have the "right of weight"
Bib
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014