ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 04:17 PM   #1
]I)Money OP
D NOT I
 
]I)Money's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Central central.
Oddometer: 3,424
F800GS Rox Riser Install

So, I got home earlyish today, after being Leutentanty for the weekend. It was really nice out, but I can't ride now, for reasons which will become apparent, so I decided to install the rox risers that were waiting on me when I got home:

No instructions, but, come on, the installation is pretty self-evident, isn't it?
First, I had to go (RE) acquire the E10 torx bit I needed
Then, I removed the top clamps from the bars

This was only annoying because the clearance for the bolt head is not quite sufficient for the socket I used.
I also took the opportunity to loosen the big ass torx you see which fastens the left mount to the top tree, because it was not quite straight.
I then mounted the risers, with the bars in them, semi- tight. i chose to mount them so the bars are straight above their previous position, rather than following the angle of the forks

(note the fine adjustment tool...)
before I tightened down either joint, I climbed aboard and made sure that the bars were straight, and in a comfortable-feeling position.
Then, I just finished tightening, and there you go!

As for cable length, the clutch and wires are fine. The brake line will flex enough to go to full lock, but only just, so i may get a longer line...
While I was there, i went ahead and installed the cable i made for my GPS
6 torx screws to take off the fake gas tank cover,

and expose the built-in plug:

...which shows WHY I couldn't just go riding instead...
4-5 , more weeks of this crap. At least I'm left-handed.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax
Yes, but everything you've ever posted in the basement indicates that you're certifiably crazy, so you don't count.

"Another road remains, but it provides no more. It can only take us away"
]I)Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:21 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad
 
GB's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto, ON
Oddometer: 55,231
Looks good

Which model / size of Rox risers did you use?
__________________
ADV decals, patches & flag? Here
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:30 PM   #3
]I)Money OP
D NOT I
 
]I)Money's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Central central.
Oddometer: 3,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Looks good

Which model / size of Rox risers did you use?
Sorry. 1 1/8" x 1 1/8", courtesy of the flea market. Thanks, Smitty!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax
Yes, but everything you've ever posted in the basement indicates that you're certifiably crazy, so you don't count.

"Another road remains, but it provides no more. It can only take us away"
]I)Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:33 PM   #4
smitty141
Studly Adventurer
 
smitty141's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Hooterville Mo.
Oddometer: 539
Glad they worked for you, looks good... Smitty
smitty141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:31 PM   #5
PackMule
love what you do
 
PackMule's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: New Hampshah
Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by ]I)Money
Sorry. 1 1/8" x 1 1/8", courtesy of the flea market. Thanks, Smitty!

Which height?



I emailed Rox and asked about 800GS applications and they said the variable risers wouldn't work. I'm suspecting because of the snug brake line you mentioned.


If you rotated them forward just a bit, would that give you full lock on the brake line?
__________________
Nate in N.E.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA


Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:30 PM   #6
]I)Money OP
D NOT I
 
]I)Money's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Central central.
Oddometer: 3,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
Which height?



I emailed Rox and asked about 800GS applications and they said the variable risers wouldn't work. I'm suspecting because of the snug brake line you mentioned.


If you rotated them forward just a bit, would that give you full lock on the brake line?

1-1/8", I guess...

As to rotating them...quite possibly. It goes now, it just is pulling the brake line tight when it does... I'll take a look tomorrow after work. an extra half inch would do it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax
Yes, but everything you've ever posted in the basement indicates that you're certifiably crazy, so you don't count.

"Another road remains, but it provides no more. It can only take us away"
]I)Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:38 PM   #7
PackMule
love what you do
 
PackMule's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: New Hampshah
Oddometer: 19,458
1 1/8" should be the bar (fatbar) diameter (vs 7/8"). You can also get 7/8 - 7/8 and 7/8 - 1 1/8 (to use as fatbar conversion for bikes with regular bars).

I think those risers come in 2" and 2 1/4" rise, IIRC.
__________________
Nate in N.E.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA


Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:51 AM   #8
robhar54
Gnarly Adventurer
 
robhar54's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by ]I)Money
1-1/8", I guess...

As to rotating them...quite possibly. It goes now, it just is pulling the brake line tight when it does... I'll take a look tomorrow after work. an extra half inch would do it.
Do you have ABS on your bike? Wondering which brake line is the issue. I want to do this too. My bike has ABS.

I talked to the Rox people, they suggest I talk to my dealer. Spiegler will make up lines, just have to know how long they should be.

Rob in Seattle
__________________
Adventure Bikes: Rivendell Saluki + Rawland rSogn
robhar54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:40 PM   #9
robhar54
Gnarly Adventurer
 
robhar54's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Oddometer: 476
Cool! I've got the Rox Pro-Offset Block Risers, which raise the bars 30mm (~1 1/8+") straight up. Whereas these go up 57mm (~2 1/4"-). I'd like my bars to be a bit higher--sounds like this might be just the ticket.

BTW, if you happen to get the Touratech raised front fender, that comes with a longer brake line.

Rob in Seattle
__________________
Adventure Bikes: Rivendell Saluki + Rawland rSogn
robhar54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:43 PM   #10
PackMule
love what you do
 
PackMule's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: New Hampshah
Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by robhar54
BTW, if you happen to get the Touratech raised front fender, that comes with a longer brake line.

Rob in Seattle

That bit of extended brake line won't do you any good here. All you need is the short shot that goes from the MC to the distribution block near the headstock.
__________________
Nate in N.E.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA


Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:47 PM   #11
Meritlane
Adventurer
 
Meritlane's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: LA,CA
Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ]I)Money View Post
So, I got home earlyish today, after being Leutentanty for the weekend. It was really nice out, but I can't ride now, for reasons which will become apparent, so I decided to install the rox risers that were waiting on me when I got home:

No instructions, but, come on, the installation is pretty self-evident, isn't it?
First, I had to go (RE) acquire the E10 torx bit I needed
Then, I removed the top clamps from the bars

This was only annoying because the clearance for the bolt head is not quite sufficient for the socket I used.
I also took the opportunity to loosen the big ass torx you see which fastens the left mount to the top tree, because it was not quite straight.
I then mounted the risers, with the bars in them, semi- tight. i chose to mount them so the bars are straight above their previous position, rather than following the angle of the forks

(note the fine adjustment tool...)
before I tightened down either joint, I climbed aboard and made sure that the bars were straight, and in a comfortable-feeling position.
Then, I just finished tightening, and there you go!

As for cable length, the clutch and wires are fine. The brake line will flex enough to go to full lock, but only just, so i may get a longer line...
While I was there, i went ahead and installed the cable i made for my GPS
6 torx screws to take off the fake gas tank cover,

and expose the built-in plug:

...which shows WHY I couldn't just go riding instead...
4-5 , more weeks of this crap. At least I'm left-handed.

How do you tighten the original torx bolts which are now hidden under the Rox. They can be tightened with bars either foremormaft but in the middle I can't get to them.
Meritlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:42 PM   #12
J&K
Gnarly Adventurer
 
J&K's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Wasilla Ak
Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meritlane View Post
How do you tighten the original torx bolts which are now hidden under the Rox. They can be tightened with bars either foremormaft but in the middle I can't get to them.

I took one of those cheap all in one torx kits and ground the shank above the head down and slid it thru the bolt hole on the rox tightened the original torx bolts down that way. Have worked great so far.
__________________
Full throttle- either it will solve the problem or end the suspense!
2013 F800gs
2013 G650gs
2014 Ktm 1190 R adventure
2003 Ural
J&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #13
]I)Money OP
D NOT I
 
]I)Money's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Central central.
Oddometer: 3,424
For me, it was never an issue, because I don't want the bars further back, just higher, or it makes it damned annoying to stand.
My risers are rotated forward so that the bars are (roughly, I didn't measure or anything) straight vertical from the original mount point.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax
Yes, but everything you've ever posted in the basement indicates that you're certifiably crazy, so you don't count.

"Another road remains, but it provides no more. It can only take us away"
]I)Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:50 AM   #14
Lounge
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Lounge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: COS
Oddometer: 384
Only read to about page 5 but I have Rox offset risers on top of a Scotts damper mount - for cabling....

Clutch cable from an ST (adjustment is a bit akward but it works).

Flip your brake line - take the MC side and bolt it to the distro block and take the distro block side and bolt it to the MC side. Cost is 4 copper compression washers.
__________________
My apologies to the meek and the Earth they will not inherit.

Lounge screwed with this post 05-24-2013 at 06:04 PM
Lounge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014