User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2009, 07:43 AM   #1
Sycamore OP
d00b

Oddometer: 1,696
Tips for rally gear (rider wear)?

Anyone who has ridden multiple-day rally(e) events (Oz Safari etc) in mid-to-hot climates, what was your gear set-up (rider-wear)?

Riding for a day is one thing, but I guess for 5 days or more, comfort and wearability becomes a big issue - chafing / pressure points/weight distribution etc.
I'm talking about something like a 5-day event, 2,000km, desert.

Undershirt? Chest protector vs. pressure suit vs. built-in jacket armor? Jacket or no jacket (cool mornings, hot afternoons)? External Camelbak backpack or in-jacket water reservoir? Full knee brace or in-boot shin/knee guard? Elbows?
Any info would be useful, or a full description of gear, inner to outer layer would be good.

thanks
Sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
header
Chris

Oddometer: 1,731
Oh what a great question. Lets hear some suggestions

KTM 530exc
525exc refresh
header is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:30 PM   #3
guymcfly
Banned

Oddometer: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Anyone who has ridden multiple-day rally(e) events (Oz Safari etc) in mid-to-hot climates, what was your gear set-up (rider-wear)?

Riding for a day is one thing, but I guess for 5 days or more, comfort and wearability becomes a big issue - chafing / pressure points/weight distribution etc.
I'm talking about something like a 5-day event, 2,000km, desert.

Undershirt? Chest protector vs. pressure suit vs. built-in jacket armor? Jacket or no jacket (cool mornings, hot afternoons)? External Camelbak backpack or in-jacket water reservoir? Full knee brace or in-boot shin/knee guard? Elbows?
Any info would be useful, or a full description of gear, inner to outer layer would be good.

thanks
I went with a pressure suit...u can get away with wearing nothing under them if its a good quality one. Think light colours as well...white boots, light pants and jacket...steer clear of basic black. Same goes with the helmet.

I usually go for a camelbak with 3 litre capacity (as spec'd be the rules). It also has enogh room for the tube/spares. Tools I fender/frame mounted.

A bike specific camelbak is far more comfortable than a generic hiker type. Over 4500 kms/7 days on the '08 Safari, I rarely noticed my pack, except when trying to open zips with tired fingers!
guymcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:32 PM   #4
skibum_1260
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
[quote=guymcfly]I went with a pressure suit...u can get away with wearing nothing under them if its a good quality one. [quote]

brands preffered? I never figured you should wear anything under them anyway, they dont look like itd be comfortable to wear a shirt under them!
skibum_1260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:25 AM   #5
guymcfly
Banned

Oddometer: 953
[quote=skibum_1260][quote=guymcfly]I went with a pressure suit...u can get away with wearing nothing under them if its a good quality one.
Quote:

brands preffered? I never figured you should wear anything under them anyway, they dont look like itd be comfortable to wear a shirt under them!
My current one is a thor impact rig...I think the Axo's are also good. Bpth take the use of a Leatt without any modifying. Both are fine with thermal or t shirt if the weather is a bit on the chilly side. Main thing is the mesh is pretty fine weave...makes them non abrasive on the skin.

Boots wise I've used Sidi Crossfires for quite sometime. They are awesome for amount of ankle protection they give. Like my good buddy Inertia, I go for the Asterisk knee brace...and hardly know I'm wearing them. I also have a KTM Rallye Jacket, and like Inertia also use Fox gloves, but don't use tape because I have manly hands, unlike fairy fingers over there
guymcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:09 PM   #6
InertiaDRZ400
AusSafari Addict

Oddometer: 583
[quote=guymcfly][quote=skibum_1260]
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymcfly
and like Inertia also use Fox gloves, but don't use tape because I have manly hands, unlike fairy fingers over there
Ill show you fairy fingers! haha!

Brand doesnt matter as that is what makes the item of clothing/protection comfortable. It's the use of these items that will make a medium get off feel like a slow low side! Pressure suits are good as they offer some of the best protection out there for your back! Leatt neckbrace and a good pair of knee protectors to me are a must!

The first time i put everything on i felt like my movement was so restricted and i looked some what like the michelin man! But after using this setup for over 18 months it feels very weird not to wear it all!

Safari 2011 ! ........anticipation!
InertiaDRZ400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:34 PM   #7
canadaler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
I'm really grappling with this issue for Morocco this March. I just hate the thought of having to wear a jacket of any sort...forget about the "Pressure-style" suit. Had one, nearly died of heat prostration at the GNCC in Georgia...and it was only March!

Looked at the TekVest during P2D and again lately...seems awful bulky and hot.

So far, it looks like I'm going "old school"...heck, I'm old enough it just seems regular for me Planning on a long sleeve cool max type of undershirt, Cannondale biking shorts, MX pants, Alpinestar Vector boots, (haven't figured out the socks yet), hockey-style knee pads (Canadian eh?), summer jersey, Answer chest protector with Camelback zip tied to the back of it.

Here's a tip for the zip-tied Camelback set up. The extra weight of the pack tends to make the front of the chest protector ride up and jam into your adams apple. Run another long zip tie through the front, bottom of the protector, the loop long enough to thread your pants buckle through. Holds your pants up and your chest protector down.

...oh...and a kidney belt too...which I'm not sure does anything except help to hold my gut in. (And it doesn't even do that too well!)

Tried the el-cheapo EVS neck brace...thought it was useless. Couldn't even get my helmet on properly and I thought it would put too much pressure on my collarbones in a crash.

Guess I'll probably have to spring for the "full Monty" Leatt...I'm afraid of getting the new cheap one that has no adjustment in it.

Troy Lee Designs helmet, Thor goggles and two sets of gloves, "high top" leather and vented MX to use depending on the conditions. I'm also trying PalmSavers, which so far look like quite the trick set up for avoiding blisters.

Still TBD....elbow pads...never wear them, hate them. Seem to be either too tight and cutting off your circulation or falling down onto your wrists. Still...I hate the thought of doing a Charlie Boorman in the rocks and crunching and elbow.

Then the jacket...jury is still out as to what the heck I'm going to do there. Maybe go for one with removable sleeves. I know there have been questionalbe reviews on it, but liked the looks of the M2R "Rallycross" jacket. Available colours suck though.
'84 Honda VT500FT Ascot
Tuareg Rally 2009
canadaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:44 PM   #8
LUDO
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 974
UPDATED!

EAR PLUGS : GET USED TO IT if you haven t already. less engine and wind noise to your brain, the fresher, longer you will be.(i use the foam ones with the string that keeps them together)

HELMETS : I was an Arai guy, then a ONE trooper then now I go with the new SHOEI VFXW which just came out. Not too light, not heavy, great ventilation, great TIGHT fit (you need tight), quiet..(very quiet!) and I am certain it is the best damn protection for your head you can get anywhere with the ARAI in second.
Dont wear a black helmet. Duh! I always bring a second helmet with me at every rally. Just in case

BOOTS : Always been an ALpinestars TECH6 guy. I never liked the TEch8s cos of the booty. It adds too much weight and it adds a size to the outside of the boot. too many chances of getting it caught onto something and TECH 6s are light but strong and still sensitive to brakes and shift. I dont like the TEch10s as they are too rigid.
UNDERWEAR : I wear long sleeve top and long legs underwear. Some of it is for cool weather, but in rally you usually choose special made stuff for hot weather. Any adventure/outdoor style clothing company has it in its catalog. Choose Darker colors. The comfort of not having any sand on your skin all day is pretty good. It protects from the small scratches on your leg, butt, torso etc... it may not be much to think about the first day, but after ten days, you will appreciate the comfort. HAve one top and one bottom for each day

GLOVES : I wear hand tape spcifically designed for riding. it's French and it's called PHLYCSTOP (http://www.amis.asso.fr/PHLYCSTOP.html) . my hands couldn't take more than 2 days of rally without it. Using this hand tape allows me to use thinner gloves like a SX glove if I want to but I usually ride with the FOX Bombers which have a carbonfiber knuckle protection. I usually ride with gloves a size bigger than my size as I hate to be tight in gloves and the hand tape addition might tighten tthe fit of your usual gloves. I change gloves after 3 days as they lose comfort features very quickly

SOCKS : In adddition to the long leg underwear, I use the FOX long socks for knee braces. It doubles the cushioning between knee braces and skin.
I change them every day. Otherwise, FOX does some bamboo fiber MX socks which are amazing for moisture wicking!

KNEE PROTECTION : I am 43 and until 3 years ago I had never been able to ride with knee braces. BElieve me I tried them all and nothing would do. I would go back to my small plastic knee cups everytime! Then PODMX (http://www.podmx.com/) came out. They are designed by an Australian genius and he gave the dist. to FOX. These braces are the most complete package you can get. Solid construction, no nonsense and you dont even know they re there!

NECK PROTECTION : I think I was the first to have a LEatt brace (http://www.leatt-brace.com/) in The States. I imported an early production full carbon one but now I wear their regular top of the line. It has already saved my neck (really, no pun intented!) 2 times. I do not get on a motorcycle without it. I also wear a lycra neck tube underneath otherwise, after a couple days, the side of the neck brace irritates your skin. In MX I set up the neck brace to medium when in rally I set it up to Large.

UPPER BODY PROTECTION. : This is a tough one. I've tried every pressure suit possible and the only one that fits me great is the Alpinestars Bionic. I wish they had a more rigid front chest protection for that time when you gonna hit the roadbook, but overall it is a great back protection and one of best suits around. The Acerbis Kaerta is impressive and I would love it if it didnt make feel cramped and uncomfortable. Some of friends swear by it.

PANTS : Whatever you like (try to make it match the jacket so you dont get arrested by Lybian fashion police)

JACKETS : I wear an ASW (from Brazil http://aswracing.com.br/ ) Vented jacket. The neck is designed to accomodate the LEatt brace. it's got plenty of pockets for food, tools, camelbacks, sat phone etc....

GOGGLES : I use SMITH "fuel sweat X" Goggles (http://www.smithoptics.com/Moto-Series_Category_16.html) . Dont take an MX vented goggle like an "intake", you might regret it in the dust. I use the bronze lens (tip from Scot HArden). Also, on very thin dust days, I put baby oil on the foam. if you do the baby oil trick, be very careful how you grab your goggles as you may end up ruining your lens. I usually bring one goggle with brand new lens per day. Sometimes it's overboard, but what looks like a good used lens may look like a 1000 shiny stars early in the morning when you face the sun!! Scott makes a desert goggle where the venting foam is replaced by Goretex.

ISOSTAR or similar. One dose for a whole 1.5 liter water bottle for each day to recoop at the end of the day.
Drinking plain water is not enough.

SAt phone : pre-enter in memory all numbers that you want to call. When registerin g at the PC course, give your sat # and get all #s from the organization, just in ccase. DO NOT BUY GLOBALSTAR!!! it's a worthless piece of SH..T! Get an Iridium!
If you only race in N. Africa or middle east, get a Thuraya. these phones take your Gsm CArd and you get billed thru your regular GSM carrier. Costly per minute but if you only use it for emergency, it's better. No need for pre-paid card! and it's a smaller phone I have both Iridium and Thuraya.

PACKING:
When traveling to rally,
I bring 2 pairs of boots. you have river crossing one day, your feet are dry when you start the next day.
I bring 2 helmets. or at least a spare visor (In case of a crash)
I bring one piece of underwear of each (top, bottom, feet) per day
I bring 2 jackets and 2 pants
I bring 2 knee braces (in case of a crash)
I bring 2 camelbacks
I bring one new set of earplug per day

When I pack up all my riding stuff, I divide equally all my stuff in 2 of the OGIO 9800LE bags (awesome bag for rally/KTM sells it) .
The point of dividing everything is that if one of your bags disappear during air travel to the start of the race, you still have
one full set of everything.
All the electronics should be in your carry on!

There's a full bag of medicine stuff you need to prep, but man! thats a long post!

LUDO screwed with this post 01-20-2009 at 09:00 AM
LUDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:07 AM   #9
InertiaDRZ400
AusSafari Addict

Oddometer: 583
Ludo, i think ill be using some of your ideas on the safari next year!

Im a huge fan of the KTM jacket! I also have the acerbis jacket but find that for rallye use the pockets are soooo handy!

Maybe someone should clean up this thread to contain the links to the actual gear as I know how hard a time i had searching for it!

Safari 2011 ! ........anticipation!
InertiaDRZ400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:52 AM   #10
Simon_R
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUDO

GLOVES : I wear hand tape spcifically designed for riding. it's French and it's called PHLYCSTOP (http://www.amis.asso.fr/PHLYCSTOP.html) . my hands couldn't take more than 2 days of rally without it. Using this hand tape allows me to use thinner gloves like a SX glove if I want to but I usually ride with the FOX Bombers which have a carbonfiber knuckle protection. I usually ride with gloves a size bigger than my size as I hate to be tight in gloves and the hand tape addition might tighten tthe fit of your usual gloves.
does anybody know where to get this hand tape from with a website in english?
Simon_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:22 AM   #11
Sycamore OP
d00b

Quote:
UPDATED!

JACKETS : I wear an ASW (from Brazil http://aswracing.com.br/ ) Vented jacket. The neck is designed to accomodate the LEatt brace. it's got plenty of pockets for food, tools, camelbacks, sat phone etc....
thanks man, that's like a few dozen rallys experience in one post. Good stuff.
The ASW jacket - what's the ventilation like for hot climates?
Old 01-21-2009, 06:50 AM   #12
Cummo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
UPDATED!

EAR PLUGS : GET USED TO IT if you haven t already. less engine and wind noise to your brain, the fresher, longer you will be.(i use the foam ones with the string that keeps them together)

HELMETS : I was an Arai guy, then a ONE trooper then now I go with the new SHOEI VFXW which just came out. Not too light, not heavy, great ventilation, great TIGHT fit (you need tight), quiet..(very quiet!) and I am certain it is the best damn protection for your head you can get anywhere with the ARAI in second.
Dont wear a black helmet. Duh! I always bring a second helmet with me at every rally. Just in case

BOOTS : Always been an ALpinestars TECH6 guy. I never liked the TEch8s cos of the booty. It adds too much weight and it adds a size to the outside of the boot. too many chances of getting it caught onto something and TECH 6s are light but strong and still sensitive to brakes and shift. I dont like the TEch10s as they are too rigid.
UNDERWEAR : I wear long sleeve top and long legs underwear. Some of it is for cool weather, but in rally you usually choose special made stuff for hot weather. Any adventure/outdoor style clothing company has it in its catalog. Choose Darker colors. The comfort of not having any sand on your skin all day is pretty good. It protects from the small scratches on your leg, butt, torso etc... it may not be much to think about the first day, but after ten days, you will appreciate the comfort. HAve one top and one bottom for each day

GLOVES : I wear hand tape spcifically designed for riding. it's French and it's called PHLYCSTOP (http://www.amis.asso.fr/PHLYCSTOP.html) . my hands couldn't take more than 2 days of rally without it. Using this hand tape allows me to use thinner gloves like a SX glove if I want to but I usually ride with the FOX Bombers which have a carbonfiber knuckle protection. I usually ride with gloves a size bigger than my size as I hate to be tight in gloves and the hand tape addition might tighten tthe fit of your usual gloves. I change gloves after 3 days as they lose comfort features very quickly

SOCKS : In adddition to the long leg underwear, I use the FOX long socks for knee braces. It doubles the cushioning between knee braces and skin.
I change them every day. Otherwise, FOX does some bamboo fiber MX socks which are amazing for moisture wicking!

KNEE PROTECTION : I am 43 and until 3 years ago I had never been able to ride with knee braces. BElieve me I tried them all and nothing would do. I would go back to my small plastic knee cups everytime! Then PODMX (http://www.podmx.com/) came out. They are designed by an Australian genius and he gave the dist. to FOX. These braces are the most complete package you can get. Solid construction, no nonsense and you dont even know they re there!

NECK PROTECTION : I think I was the first to have a LEatt brace (http://www.leatt-brace.com/) in The States. I imported an early production full carbon one but now I wear their regular top of the line. It has already saved my neck (really, no pun intented!) 2 times. I do not get on a motorcycle without it. I also wear a lycra neck tube underneath otherwise, after a couple days, the side of the neck brace irritates your skin. In MX I set up the neck brace to medium when in rally I set it up to Large.

UPPER BODY PROTECTION. : This is a tough one. I've tried every pressure suit possible and the only one that fits me great is the Alpinestars Bionic. I wish they had a more rigid front chest protection for that time when you gonna hit the roadbook, but overall it is a great back protection and one of best suits around. The Acerbis Kaerta is impressive and I would love it if it didnt make feel cramped and uncomfortable. Some of friends swear by it.

PANTS : Whatever you like (try to make it match the jacket so you dont get arrested by Lybian fashion police)

GOGGLES : I use SMITH "fuel sweat X" Goggles (http://www.smithoptics.com/Moto-Series_Category_16.html) . Dont take an MX vented goggle like an "intake", you might regret it in the dust. I use the bronze lens (tip from Scot HArden). Also, on very thin dust days, I put baby oil on the foam. if you do the baby oil trick, be very careful how you grab your goggles as you may end up ruining your lens. I usually bring one goggle with brand new lens per day. Sometimes it's overboard, but what looks like a good used lens may look like a 1000 shiny stars early in the morning when you face the sun!! Scott makes a desert goggle where the venting foam is replaced by Goretex.

ISOSTAR or similar. One dose for a whole 1.5 liter water bottle for each day to recoop at the end of the day.
Drinking plain water is not enough.

SAt phone : pre-enter in memory all numbers that you want to call. When registerin g at the PC course, give your sat # and get all #s from the organization, just in ccase. DO NOT BUY GLOBALSTAR!!! it's a worthless piece of SH..T! Get an Iridium!
If you only race in N. Africa or middle east, get a Thuraya. these phones take your Gsm CArd and you get billed thru your regular GSM carrier. Costly per minute but if you only use it for emergency, it's better. No need for pre-paid card! and it's a smaller phone I have both Iridium and Thuraya.

PACKING:
When traveling to rally,
I bring 2 pairs of boots. you have river crossing one day, your feet are dry when you start the next day.
I bring 2 helmets. or at least a spare visor (In case of a crash)
I bring one piece of underwear of each (top, bottom, feet) per day
I bring 2 jackets and 2 pants
I bring 2 knee braces (in case of a crash)
I bring 2 camelbacks
I bring one new set of earplug per day

When I pack up all my riding stuff, I divide equally all my stuff in 2 of the OGIO 9800LE bags (awesome bag for rally/KTM sells it) .
The point of dividing everything is that if one of your bags disappear during air travel to the start of the race, you still have
one full set of everything.
All the electronics should be in your carry on!

There's a full bag of medicine stuff you need to prep, but man! thats a long post!
You forget to include one thing Ludo......the truck you also have to carry all this gear!
Cummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:49 PM   #13
osteo
Motion is Life

Oddometer: 1,856
Hmm... this is an interesting question, this is what I wear. I have not done 5 days, and 2000km with it, but I'm confident this would do me well.

Sorry, no frontal shots as I am usually the one with the camera!

Boots - Motocross boots, or lately I have been testing the KLIM GTX boots and they are working great. They are designed as a winter boot with a gore-tex liner and thinsulate, but they breath really well. I have down 2 days rides in +30deg heat and humidity and have not been overly hot.

Knee guards, that have shin protectors in them.

Padded shorts - via SixSixOne

Pants - Klim Dakar Pants, love them zippered panels

Elbow pads - SixSixOne

Clima-dry/cool-max T-shirt under Clima-Dry/cool-max Jersey

TekVest by Tekrider - fantastic piece of armour. The new ones are made with Coolmax liners, and it can be purchased to fit a Leatt Brace (I was a demo for one)

Leatt Neck Brace

Klim Dakar Gloves

My only complaint with all the above is the knee guards from 661, when work with motocross boots they stay in place. Without the tall boots they tend to slide down.

No chaffing, no hot spots, nothing with any of the other gear.

The TekVest has a large pocket on the back panel for a camel back (3L), plus multiple pockets and adjustability.

In talking with Scott Harden about gear, you will notice all the Dakar riders are wearing jackets - the rationale is that the jackets will block the wind and some of the heat from riding in the desert, and yet still be breathable enough. I noticed that Jonah Street is wearing a modified KLIM Valdez Parka. This is a 3ply gore-tex jacket, so case in point, what one would think would be a winter piece of gear is being used for the desert.

I have a pressure suit as well, but no longer use it as I found it was crazy hot, and find the TekVest offers a level of protection I am comfortable with and more ventilation than I had, so I am happy.

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Adventure Has No Destination

08' KTM 450 EXC - The Half Beast -
04' Yamaha TTR250 (for the wife)
osteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:27 PM   #14
Sycamore OP
d00b

Thanks guys, this is what I need.
Osteo, TekVest looks good. What model is it (there seem to be different types). Agree with you about the Kilm Dakar pants, top quality, I use them in hot weather, but I just prefer in-boot pants (can't give a rational reason)...

Guymcfly, was the pressure suit short sleeved (no elbow pads) under a jacket, or full-sleeve? Can you recommend a brand? Mine gives me bad chafing around the waist / kidney belt area (where the pressure suit meets the top of the pants) after about 4 hours.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:55 PM   #15
Linc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
In the Safari I didn't ware a presure suit at all. My Jacket has limited padding with a built in camel pack. After waring it I decided that all the extra padding of a suit would just where me down after a week of hard riding. They are tight, they chafe, and make every movement that little bit harded. I figured that the extra fatigue had a better chance of causing a crash than what it would protect if I came off........I suppose you gotta weigh it up.

Linc