User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2009, 11:58 AM   #1
Dadson OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
CalSci windscreen report

I ordered my CalSci windshield for my 1150 GS will little worry because I talked to the owner before hand and he told me that if I wasn't happy with the item I could return it, but it would need to be in new condition.
I was very careful installing it, you can bet.

The windshield came packed with plenty of bubble wrap and the shield was in a soft cloth sleeve. Included was a bag with the screws, washers (one extra), instructions, and the mounting braces. With this was a rolled soft cloth and a small bottle of windshield cleaner. Nice touch.

Someone in another thread measured the thickness but from the feel of it, the windshield is not flimsy at all. It installed with no trouble, or prying. It was a good fit. The sun was getting low and I wanted to get on the freeway to see if this thing would pass my +80 mph buffeting test.

I live in L.A. and this weekend we're getting hit with our annual Santa Anna winds. That would be a problem getting a clean test, but I was hoping I could get a break from them long enough.

On the street +40 mph it's perfect. No shake, no vibration in idle or any speed. It's mounting is solid. Once on the freeway I had to deal with crosswinds and it was frustrating to get a sense of wind noise, etc. After a few miles I turned around. This time the wind decided to find someone else to piss off and I got a few miles of decent riding.

Let me say here that because I didn't get more than a few miles to try this out I want to test it again after the winds are gone before I can give you the final word on this item.
Anyway, back on the freeway... I notice I'm not getting pushed from the side and lay on the throttle. I can see that my speed is getting higher and higher and I'm waiting for that buffeting feeling like I'm losing a pillow fight with Andre the Giant... but it doesn't come. I look down at the speedo and I'm coming to 80, then pass 80 and still nothing. I can feel air on my lower chest, but not pushing. More like circulating. By then the cross wind had kicked up again. Crap!

So, initial judgment on the windshield:
It works. It doesn't need winglets. It's mounted solidly and I didn't see any flexing or movement of it at high speeds.
As for wind noise, I can't say yet. I need a day without cross winds.

I'll do a follow up some time this week and give everyone my final judgment.
"You must be," said the Cat, "otherwise you wouldn't have come here."
Dadson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:42 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,045
Everyone's seeking that elusive screen that delivers smooth turbulence free air movement

What's your size and what is the size of the screen? does it come in more than one size? Got pics?
Old 01-12-2009, 01:12 PM   #3
Dadson OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Everyone's seeking that elusive screen that delivers smooth turbulence free air movement

What's your size and what is the size of the screen? does it come in more than one size? Got pics?
Pics? You bet. I'll be adding those too. CalSci offers three sizes and they have some detailed instructions on how to pick the right size for you.
I know a lot of people want to look over the screen, but I'm the kind that wants to be in a pocket of quiet. Even so I went with the smallest one. I'm 5'7" and figured that if it didn't work for me I'd swap it out for the next size up.
With a 3 day weekend coming up I'll have some quality time to spend riding.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:20 PM   #4
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy

The guy who runs CalSci, Mark Lawrence, is a research physicist and major biker. I think by now he has a zillion or so miles on his V-Strom. Info on his windshields.

The NACA duct makes a big difference: I've tried mine with it blocked off with tape, or open. I have both a L and XL. He also offers a $60 competitive trade-in. Mark will take the windshield back, or cut it down for you, and gives detailed instructions for fitting.

If you get in touch you can also organize a group buy. We did so on Stromtroopers and got 10% off. If you call him and leave a # he will usually call you back the same day.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/R1200GSprod.html
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:26 AM   #5
Dadson OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman
The guy who runs CalSci, Mark Lawrence, is a research physicist and major biker. I think by now he has a zillion or so miles on his V-Strom. Info on his windshields.

The NACA duct makes a big difference: I've tried mine with it blocked off with tape, or open. I have both a L and XL. He also offers a $60 competitive trade-in. Mark will take the windshield back, or cut it down for you, and gives detailed instructions for fitting.

If you get in touch you can also organize a group buy. We did so on Stromtroopers and got 10% off. If you call him and leave a # he will usually call you back the same day.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/R1200GSprod.html
I've talked with Mark a few times and he's very helpful. I set up a group buy for last Dec where he offered a discount. Don't know how many placed an order with him, but I did.

Looks like I won't be able to give my full review with detail pics until this weekend. Sorry for the delay everyone.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:42 AM   #6
Dadson OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Update - weekend test ride

This past weekend was the first time I was able to really spend time on the bike and try out my new windshield.

Once again, the ride on the street was spot on. Top speed was 50mph and the windshield created a nice pocket of clean air. By clean air I mean, no buffeting, back draft, nada.
When I got on the freeway I sped up at 10 mph intervals to judge the windshield effectiveness. My magic number is 80mph.

At 70 it was doing pretty good, but once I got to 80 things changed. Not a lot, but I could feel it. Using my left hand in front of me I followed the windshild outline to judge where I would feel where the air seemed to puff strongly. I was surprised how air was coming up from under the gas tank. I hadn't noticed that before.
Along the top I could feel where the air was making contact with my helmet just above the visor. Not unbearable by any means, but it was there.

Keep in mind that anything anyone reviews is also based on what their views are when it comes to what's acceptable and not. In my case I'm planning at ride to Alaska this summer and my aim is to eliminate everything I reasonably can that would cause extra fatigue.
That includes buffeting (windscreen), noise (earplugs), etc. So, you can understand that a little buffeting amounts to next to nothing for an hours ride, but after six hours? Yeah.

I called Calsci and left a message explaining my situation. The owner, Mark, returned my call on Monday. We covered what could be causing it; installation, position, my height, and so on. Mark was puzzled and said the size of the windscreen should be working for me. He suggested I make an 1 1/2" extension and carefully tape it to the windshield making sure to follow the contours of the shape of the windshield.
A short while later I was back on the road with what must have looked like to other drivers like the most sorry-a$$ed looking windshield ever.

As a side note, it's amazing how just a little strip of cardboard can keep you from seeing a full size car only a few feet in front of you. Luckly for me I was moving my head all around.
Back on the freeway, and now fully aware of my blind spot, I rode until I had no cars around me and twisted the throttle. I got to 70mph and mentally crossed my fingers as I moved closer to 80. This time was noticably better. I could feel the air hitting higher on my helmet, but instead of kind of smacking into me it was more meeting and flowing over and around. Wind noise was less also.
Of couse there was still air coming up from under the tank, but I didn't expect that to change. All I was really interested in at this point was keeping the wind from knocking my head around.

The next step is to ship back the windshield and Mark will send me the next size up.
More to follow as soon as I get the new one.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:36 AM   #7
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Does anyone make the BMW equivalent of the Madstad bracket used on the V-Strom? This allows you to change height and angle of attack. Very useful as weather changes.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:45 AM   #8
uncreative
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
i just got back from a 1000 mile ride with my calsci windshield on my 1200GS. one thing that made a HUGE difference was my addition of the GSA winglets. the screen was pretty good without the winglets, but with them it is excellent.
uncreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:48 AM   #9
g r a n t
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman
Does anyone make the BMW equivalent of the Madstad bracket used on the V-Strom? This allows you to change height and angle of attack. Very useful as weather changes.
Tobinators
Old 01-20-2009, 05:02 PM   #10
Ken Fritz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 987
no Tobinators

Tobinators won't fit and are not needed with the CalSci screens. My CalSci screen is a bit too tall for me, but I love it. This is the best screen I have tried on my 1150GS and you'll have to pry it out of my dead hands.
Ken Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:13 PM   #11
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer: 5,100
I know it isn't apples to apples but I have a cali sci screen on my RTP and I love it.

Having said this I'm happy with the stock screen on the R12GSA.
Ritalin Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:19 AM   #12
Dadson OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Fritz
Tobinators won't fit and are not needed with the CalSci screens. My CalSci screen is a bit too tall for me, but I love it. This is the best screen I have tried on my 1150GS and you'll have to pry it out of my dead hands.
How tall are you and what size CalSci screen do you have? I was going to swap the small for the med. I don't have a problem looking through a screen, although I know others want to look over the screen.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:34 AM   #13
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,685
Alright, I'd like to try one of these screens, but, I'm a little confused about what I need to fit to a 1150ADV. Anyone?
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:50 PM   #14
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I have both a Tall and XTall CalSci and find the ability to adjust the height and rake of the windshield depending on speed and weather conditions to be extremely useful on long trips.

Might buy a Medium as well, for the warmest months.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:04 PM   #15
Dadson OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I don't understand. If the CalSci fits the bike, why wouldn't it fit on Tobinators... which I can't seem to find anyone selling, by the way.