Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2009, 03:45 AM   #1
BigBearJoe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Anyone else ride the original Nevada Rally?

With all this rally coverage and being blessed with the perspective of actual rally racers who frequent this board, I realized that I can add myself to the list of rally riders. I rode and finished the 1995 Nevada Rally, the last of the three that took place. Six days and about 1800 miles in a loop around Nevada. Put on by Casey Folks Of Best in the Desert and Franco Acerbis. Rode a Suzuki DR 350S which was punched out to 435 cc. Had one person on my support crew, none other than the godfather of dual sport, Jim Pilon. Finished in 40th position, which was essentially dead last. I actually crashed out on the fifth day with a concussion, but came back and rode the sixth day and finished in Mesquite, Nevada. I still have four of the six road books.
Anyone else?

BigBearJoe screwed with this post 01-16-2009 at 03:53 AM
BigBearJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:44 AM   #2
bajaboundmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
I rode it in '95 also. It was all roadbook, pre-GPS back then.
Rode a KX250. I set it up Baja style which I figured out Day1 wasn't right, geared way too high.
Didn't really learn much about navigation prior to the race so I learned as I went. Made a huge mistake that cost about 1/2 hour on Day1 by not trusting Bruce Ogilvie's navigation. He's very good at it and I was an idiot.
I finished 10th overall as I recall.
It was a fantastic experience.
bajaboundmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:04 PM   #3
BigBearJoe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajaboundmoto
Didn't really learn much about navigation prior to the race so I learned as I went. Made a huge mistake that cost about 1/2 hour on Day1 by not trusting Bruce Ogilvie's navigation. He's very good at it and I was an idiot.
Mentioning Bruce Ogilvie, reminded me that he was there and that I was using one of the "fancy" electronic odometers from the mid-80s XR600s (still have it buried out in the garage somewhere). I went over to the Honda pits to asks for assistance in calibrating the unit. They referred me to Bruce as being, as we know, the expert.

Casey has certainly run many multi-day events (Nevada 1000 and 2000) since the demise of the rally, but none of them ever returned to navigation style. I just got the impression that the concept of navigating was to "weird" to sell to the general American racing community. American desert racers were just too comfortable with following pink ribbon. There would most certainly be more interest now than back in the late 90s. I'm amazed that Casey is able to do it, but he certainly has the ability to get the permits for another multi-day event. It would just be selling the idea to "corporate" off-road racing.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:19 PM   #4
bajaboundmoto
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBearJoe
Mentioning Bruce Ogilvie, reminded me that he was there
Bruce raced that experimental Honda EXP2 in '95. That zero-emmissions 2-stroke. Sounded like a bucket of bolts but gan good I guess.
Quote:
American desert racers were just too comfortable with following pink ribbon. There would most certainly be more interest now
I for one would LOVE to do that type event again.
Speaking of following ribbons... See in this photo a pink ribbon in the brush by my bike.... I remember a few short spots Casey had to mark a specific trial/boundry due to restrictions of some sort.

Yep, BBJ is right, all the pics I have of the NR are from Grumpy

bajaboundmoto screwed with this post 01-17-2009 at 02:29 PM
Old 01-17-2009, 02:51 PM   #5
BigBearJoe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Hey Tim,where did you get that fairing back in 1995?
Old 01-18-2009, 07:58 AM   #6
bajaboundmoto
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Hey Tim,where did you get that fairing back in 1995?
Took an Interceptor fairing, heated/bent/cut/hacked to shape. Used that as the 'mold' for composite. It was mounted to the steering stem and housed MD elec. roadbook, couple mr16 headlights, and aux. gas tank (needed more range and was against the rules to carry a jug on your belt).

Johnson357 - We can only hope!
Old 01-18-2009, 10:52 AM   #7
BigBearJoe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
It was all roadbook, pre-GPS back then.
It was a fantastic experience.
Since I imagined that it was a one-time event, I just bought the $70 plastic Acerbis road book holder. At the time, I just couldn't see justifying a $200+ electronic road book holder that I would never use again. I mounted it up high on a metal frame so it was easier to view. But that meant that the advancement knob was just sticking out in space, not mounted on the handle bar near the grip. So not only did I have to advance it manually but I had to take my left hand completely off the handle bar. And of course as many of you are probably familiar, the vibration made the road book unwind. So I was constantly having to take in the slack and then advance to the next directions.

Johnny Campbell won in 1995. At that time he was a up-and-coming desert racer. There is some great video footage of him from the 1994 rally being totally snookered by Alain Olivier. When Olivier noticed that Johnny was shadowing him for navigation, he purposely took a wrong turn, went to little ways in the wrong direction, pulled to the side and faked a mechanical problem. Then when Johnny went roaring by, Olivier turned around and continued on the correct path. Not sure how far Johnny went before he figured out he had been had!
Old 01-16-2009, 08:45 AM   #8
KenR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,668
I haven't, but I sure wish Casey would do another Nevada Rally. I think that might've been what was behind the BITD Nevada Rally Experience - to build interest and a group of likely entrants that would make staging a full-on rally feasible.

It's probably gotten very complicated for a promoter to put on a big, multi-day event like this, with government permits, landowner issues, land access, etc., etc., but I'd love to try a rally sometime. Going halfway around the world to give it a shot isn't going to happen.

KenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:33 AM   #9
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,073
its all Land Access and permissions now.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:53 PM   #10
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,190
V to R is a three day this year maybe Casey is stickin his toe in the water??
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:34 AM   #11
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 870
While I didnt race the Ralley I did run check points for Casey and following the circus around this state 2 years was a blast. Some ot the top guys were really down to earth and great to be around but some of the others were just above us . Cant say enough about Casey and Franco, both class acts. Casey is very intense.
At the time I was fit enough and racing plenty but did not have the $$ to do the race, Now I have the $$ and time but am older, more broken and slower

That said I would probably enter if he had it again.
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:19 AM   #12
silverstone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Would you boys that have done the Nevada Rally have any photo's of the rally that you could post up here? Just for interest.

If this Rally was reborn, I know that there would be some Canadian boys very interested in doing this as well as myself.

Thanks

my face is laying on the pavement, tasting something awful, i hate it when that happens...
silverstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:05 AM   #13
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S
its all Land Access and permissions now.
That may be true but the same goes for the Australian Safari, heaps of red & green tape Octagon the organisers have to go through to make it happen, both at the government and local landholder levels

...................guess it's all about the will to make it happen.

Sure would be good though, as Ludo said I reckon heaps of internationals would come over for it, me for one as well. Never been to the old USofA so would be a great excuse.

Make it happen guys
Old 09-16-2009, 06:32 PM   #14
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariBerg
That may be true but the same goes for the Australian Safari, heaps of red & green tape Octagon the organisers have to go through to make it happen, both at the government and local landholder levels

...................guess it's all about the will to make it happen.

There's a LOT of red tape here, Garry, unfortunately. I'm not an expert on the matter, but I've heard those in the know talk about land use impact studies and the like being necessary before the BLM (Bureau of Land Management) to even consider permitting an activity on public lands. Anyone can see the trend of public lands closing to motorized use and surmise what the likely result of any such impact study would be.

The ridiculous total-lack-of-personal-responsibility/I'll-sue-you-for-any-old-damn-thing culture here is a huge hurdle in accessing private lands.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:36 PM   #15
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
There's a LOT of red tape here, Garry, unfortunately. I'm not an expert on the matter, but I've heard those in the know talk about land use impact studies and the like being necessary before the BLM (Bureau of Land Management) to even consider permitting an activity on public lands. Anyone can see the trend of public lands closing to motorized use and surmise what the likely result of any such impact study would be.

The ridiculous total-lack-of-personal-responsibility/I'll-sue-you-for-any-old-damn-thing culture here is a huge hurdle in accessing private lands.

I sympathise greatly for sure, its the exact same reason we lost Day 1 of a 2 day event with the Yilgarn Rallye this year