Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2009, 02:13 AM   #1
Tigrou OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Question F800GS: Off-Road ?

I've just ride F800GS for one day and ......i'm in love

I went to my dealer to buy a 1200 and came back home with a little voice in my head "buy a 800, buy a 800".

I would like to see pics or Vids of F800GS off-road ?
were could I get that informations ?

thanks
GS'13 - 7.000 miles …for the moment
Tigrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:23 AM   #2
dogtired
SECRET ASIAN-MAN

Oddometer: 368
Here'ya go! (That's not me, but I wish I had the bike, too! )

dogtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:26 AM   #3
kadesean
eyesuck

Oddometer: 973
Search the web for BMW GS Trophy-Tunisia. I think the bike has shown its capabilities well.

1992 BMW R100GS
2005 BMW R1200GS
kadesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:38 AM   #4
azze007
Save a horse,ride a BMW.

Oddometer: 118
BMW GS Trophy Tunisia 2008. Short Version.
azze007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:54 AM   #5
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by azze007
I've got to be honest, I still don't understand why BMW uses that video to sell the bikes, most of the video is guys stuck in deep sand or requiring help to get anywhere. (my hat's off to the guys who did it, an remember these guys are all excellent riders) It really doesn't show much ability for the deep sand. I'm kind of glad I didn't see that vid before I picked mine up,I may have cancelled the order. Lots of off road terrain where the GS is more competent.

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:48 AM   #6
Tigrou OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
They are using GS with road tires it seems
GS'13 - 7.000 miles …for the moment
Tigrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:52 PM   #7
frog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dave
I've got to be honest, I still don't understand why BMW uses that video to sell the bikes, most of the video is guys stuck in deep sand or requiring help to get anywhere. (my hat's off to the guys who did it, an remember these guys are all excellent riders) It really doesn't show much ability for the deep sand. I'm kind of glad I didn't see that vid before I picked mine up,I may have cancelled the order. Lots of off road terrain where the GS is more competent.
I guess thats the best video they have. Kinda makes me want to go trade my 990 in on one.............................................. NOT.
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:24 PM   #8
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 808
Here's what I've done. One trip to the Pacific coast north of Cambria, including about 15 miles of progressively rougher dirt road, ending in a few miles with rocky creek crossings every quarter mile or so. Then along the coast highway and up a dirt road to the ridge, camp for the night, then along the ridge--about 25miles in all of decent dirt road. On this trip I discovered the GS8 has a lot of torque in second gear, making the sensitive throttle much less annoying than in first; the bike tracks straight and true across the rocks if you just stay with the program and don't freak out. After I let the tires down to 25 psi or so the ride was better in the rocks.

One weekend trip of 280 miles in SoCal, including 70 miles of dirt roads from well graded to more rocky creek crossings and many rocks in the road. Rarely used first, was able to plonk along in 2nd down to 1500 rpm or so. Most of the roads were in pretty good shape, with some soft corners and the occasional rut. Camped on a ridge again, watched another great sunset over the Pacific. The bike is doing everything I want it to so far, though I know there are greater challenges ahead.

My assessment is that it will take me to and around the White Rim Trail in Canyonlonds without a problem, unless I geek in the sandy sections.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:10 AM   #9
kktos
on a bright side of life

Oddometer: 2,345
yo philou.
played this WE with my friend and his daughter as pillion in some trails around his house.
Road tires and muddy trails
was a bit funny with the GSA
nevertheless, the little GS was taking it like a bicycle.
and it was the perfect bike for our last trip in Morocco (Ride Report:http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=414553)

/thierry
kktos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:52 AM   #10
TR5ESU
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Offroading in the UK

Here are some pics of my own from yesterday. We had a great day out, the pace was very quick most of the time except in very deep ruts (can't really appreaciate the depth in the pics..) which were the only ocations I could take pics.
In my opinion the bike handles great.. it's most happy in sand, gravel, and rocks.. it get's a bit tricky on muddy ruts.. a flat mud surface is okay as long as you keep some speed. It's great for going through puddles, with a hard rev just before going through it goes like a charm... if you don't you get the front sinking in as you enter the puddle and you end up like I did a couple of times. soaked from toes to head!

Not a very good pic this one.. but the crossing was a deep stream with a bit of current as well..

And last one.

TR5ESU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:57 AM   #11
springfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Really sweet pictures! I've been riding my 800GS quite a bit lately as the Pacific Northwest has been very dry this past few weeks. I'm looking for every little dirt road that's not gated to see what I can find and to see what the bike can do, more so, what I can handle. So far it's been fun, however the weight of the bike is very apparent. Which has be a bit concerned, maybe without real cause.

Regardless, I'm starting to think that a 650 Xchallenge might be the better bike for me. With that said, I'm wondering how hard it would be to find someone willing to trade + $$. I'm not 100% serious about this, just starting to wonder if it would be the right thing to do.

Damn you choices! :)
Old 01-19-2009, 09:58 AM   #12
springfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
By the way TR5ESU, looks like we have the EXACT same bike. Same color and farkles.