Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2009, 08:59 AM   #1
motorradrudi OP
tourguide

Oddometer: 350
Switzerland - If the weather holds!

Hi folks,

here is another ride-report from the european alps.

Switzerland 2007

7th- 10th June

If the weather holds!!

The Prepping
The Club-ride of the Free-Biker Sonthofen is a fixed item in the annual calendar and always starts off with the question: Where-to this time??

As to me Switzerland is the crown jewel of the Alps, plans were ripe for a Swiss-Ride, regrettably the fact that Switzerland is quite expensive still holds true.

Time for a snoop around the Swiss Forums and I hit pay dirt at http://www.toeff-forum.ch, the reply came 2 hrs after posting my queries. Great accommodation and food was promised at the Simons-Herberge, and SFR 32 for the night with SFR 13 dinners, the email was promptly on its way.
Just as prompt was the reply…. BINGO!!!
Switzerland…here we come!!

Lake Brienz

To be more exact: the Bernese High Country, one of my favourites and one of the prettiest areas of the Alps!
7 bikes and 10 people, with Hannes splitting off at Meiringen for his trip to Lake Geneva.
The forecast was so/ so…a bit of everything from sunshine to thunderstorms.
What the hell, let’s go with the usual 9am start!

motorradrudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:01 AM   #2
motorradrudi OP
tourguide

Day 1….Sonthofen - Meiringen

Start was – as usual – at 9 am.

At the start

It was dry, but the clouds covered the mountaintops. First to Altstädten and Fischen then up the Riedbergpass (1420 m) via Hittisau and Lingenau to Alberschwende and Dornbirn.
Then into Switzerland and the town of Au for a fill up and a short conference to decide, which of the two possible routes to take.
We settled on the slightly longer but more scenic way via St. Anton, the Ruppenpass (1003 m) and Trogen, the glorious bends to Oberegg and on to Appenzell.

Near Hemberg

From here via Urnäsch to Bächli and Hemberg… the Restaurant Hörnli offered itself for lunch.
Off we went again via Wattwil, across the Rickenpass (794 m) to Rapperswil and Lake Zürich. Past the lake it a quick right/ left and up into the saddle (932 m).

Following the signs to Zug to get to Arth at Lake Zug proved to be wrong after getting to Lake Ägeri. A quick turnaround got us via Steinerberg (brilliant views onto Lake Lauerz here) to Lake Zug, skirting the southern shores to get to Küssnacht at Lake Vierwaldstätter.
Entering Luzern, the Collective decided on a Coffee break, the bridge across the River Reuss just too picturesque and unique to fly past. Hard to image that the bridge burned down a few years ago…

Lake Vierwaldstätter / Luzern

Old 01-23-2009, 09:02 AM   #3
motorradrudi OP
tourguide

Stefan had lost the key for the helmet lock! …Hannes took off towards Lake Geneva and the rest boiled in their gear, waiting. A small Allen key from the next service station fixed the problem and the flipper-helmet came off, yeeha !

Along Lake Vierwaldstätter towards Sarnen, and the skies looked dark but the rain held off. Past Lake Sarnen and Lake Lungern it was up the Brünigpass (1008 m) and on to Meiringen, the day’s target.

The Simons-Herberge was easy to find, the rooms proved simple and rustic with not too much comfort, but they’re very reasonably priced…for Switzerland, anyway.

Simonsherberge Meiringen

Here we met Fred from Frechen (near Köln), who wanted to hook up for the next 2 days. Dinner (Sfr 13 Franken /~9 €) was Geschnetzeltes, Rösti and Salat and a small dessert…. and Stefan made up for the Luzern-wait with some complimentary drinks for the bunch.

Toursheet from Sonthofen to Meiringen

Best greatings from Germany
Rudi
Old 01-23-2009, 11:18 AM   #4
motorradrudi OP
tourguide

Day 2 Swiss Highlights!

Start around 9…. and 4 Passes above 2000m were on the program….the skies clear for a great day ahead.
From Meiringen to Innertkirchen before the cracker of a run up the Grimselpass (2165 m). Past Lake Räterichsboden and Lake Grimsel to the top – what a dream-road!!!

Grimselpass

At the top, the small road to Lake Oberaar was closed due to road works; the 6km stretch (toll-free) is useable for 10 mins at full hour, and 10 mins every half-hour for the return. What a disappointment, the views to the Oberaar Glacier, the Finsteraarhorn (4274 m) and the Lauteraarhorn (4042 m) are magnificent from there.

Missing out this time around, we went on to Gletsch, as the clouds decided to move in a little.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:19 AM   #5
motorradrudi OP
tourguide

At the Grimselpass

Old 01-23-2009, 11:20 AM   #6
motorradrudi OP
tourguide

The way down offers great views onto the Rhône-Glacier and the Furkapass.
A right turn in Gletsch and Ulrichen isn’t far, the start of the Nufenenpass (2478 m) As usual, this means a “free for all” …pegscrape or tootle to your hearts content.

Nufenenpass

A short Photo-Stop at the saddler before the descent to Airolo – I took it slowly here, the views are just too beautiful.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:05 AM   #7
Cooltours
Rider of passion

Oddometer: 1,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorradrudi
Lake Vierwaldstätter / Luzern
... and Bodensee = Lake Floor? Just teasing you Vierwaldstättersee = Lake Lucerne.

Very nice reports anyway. Can you whipe out all these ugly angle brackets next time...?

Sorry to hear about the unkindness that happend to you. Such things are very much embarrasing for me each time they come to my knowledge. Stop by next time and I'll buy you a Weizenbier! Hint for next time: Arschlöchern darf man auch bei uns sagen dass sie Arschlöcher sind.

Looking forward to your next installment!
Cooltours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 02:45 AM   #8
motorradrudi OP
tourguide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltours
... and Bodensee = Lake Floor? Just teasing you Vierwaldstättersee = Lake Lucerne.
Okay, okay! English isn't my native language.

Quote:
Sorry to hear about the unkindness that happend to you. Such things are very much embarrasing for me each time they come to my knowledge.
It doesn't really matter! Was the first time of bad experience - I still love Switzerland!!!

Quote:
Stop by next time and I'll buy you a Weizenbier!
Gerne! So weit wohnen wir ja nicht aus einander!
Vielleicht treibt es dich ja auch mal ins Allgäu?

Quote:
Looking forward to your next installment!
Maybe!

Best greatings an thanks!
Rudi