User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2009, 01:19 PM   #1
BikerDav OP
Wannabe

Oddometer: 40
800GS owners?

Considering a 800GS. I have a couple of questions. First, what is the valve adjustment interval. Second, can it cruise at 80 MPH comfortably. What's the tack at? Third, what is the average range on a tank? Lastly, can you run regular in it? On the BMW web site it says Premium but I have also seen that you can run regular. Thank you!

Dave

--There is a fine line between cool and stupid--
BikerDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:51 PM   #2
Magile
"What exit?"

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerDav
can it cruise at 80 MPH comfortably. What's the tach at? what is the average range on a tank? can you run regular in it?
Some answers:

80 mph is no problem-o. I don't recall what the tach sez, but the F8GS is fine (& stable) at that speed. If you make a habit of freeway riding, you may want to gear up a bit, maybe add one tooth to the countershaft sprocket.

I go 230 miles on a full tank. And my bike's not yet broken in, only ~1,100 miles. YMMV.

At the 600 miles service the dealer remapped for regular fuel (no charge). You lose ~2hp, but it's imperceptible. There are too many places where premium is unobtainium.

Other will join in with more answers. BTW, buy a yellow/black one. They're faster

Cheers, M
Magile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:22 PM   #3
cisco
old fat guy

Oddometer: 276
17 tooth on the front, 4,500 rpm @80 mph ind. The 17 tooth is a little high for technical stuff, but not to bad. It takes about 15 mins. to change the sprockets.
Cisco
cisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:57 PM   #4
CrazyMike
***42***

Oddometer: 866
I rode 200 miles home from Atlanta this morning. Traveled 75-85 mph (as indicated by GPS) the whole way. Typical rpm: 4500-5500.

First time I've maintained these speeds for this period of time. Bike performed flawlessly. F800GS was a little more buzzy than my R1150RT (go figure) but was not obtrusive.

At these speeds, I'm getting approx 200 miles out of a tank (I had my Jesse's on as well so I wasn't the most aerodynamic).
2009 BMW F800GS
WANTED: Kawasaki ZRX 1200R
CrazyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 04:58 PM   #5
Dieselboy
Journey not Destination

Oddometer: 1,097
Haven't bought the service manual yet, but the first valve check was done at 12000 miles last week (no shim change required).

My comfort factor for range is fill up at 150 miles, but that is running fast and loaded (aerostich tank bags and jesse 10in bags). My calculation of the range based on 4.2gal is anywhere from 186miles to 230miles. That is heavily dependant on how hard I'm rolling. I am not easy on the the throttle.

Personally, I am amazed at folks who pull 65MPG+....I can't seem to get there on the interstate. Around town, I normally see around 50MPG.

+1 on the cruise all day at 80MPH. That's right around the sweet spot on this bike.

Love this bike.
Dieselboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:42 PM   #6
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselboy
Personally, I am amazed at folks who pull 65MPG+....I can't seem to get there on the interstate. Around town, I normally see around 50MPG.
I've noticed all my bikes are getting about 10% lower mileage recently. I'm not sure if California still has the crap gas in the winter or not, but I'm hoping that's the cause.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:27 AM   #7
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerDav
Considering a 800GS. I have a couple of questions. First, what is the valve adjustment interval. Second, can it cruise at 80 MPH comfortably. What's the tack at? Third, what is the average range on a tank? Lastly, can you run regular in it? On the BMW web site it says Premium but I have also seen that you can run regular. Thank you!

Dave
1. The valve adjustment interval is listed in the Owner's manual. I can't remember, but it's very far out. Like 15,000 or 25,000 miles or something to that effect. It's a Rotax engine. You'll have no problems. Period.

2. This thing cruises more comfortably at 80mph than any bike I've ever ridden. I feel more relaxed and comfortable even at 90mph on this bike than any sport bike or cruiser for that matter. The suspension has a lot to do with it. The suspension on this bike is far superior to most stock sport bikes and cruisers. Of course it won't be able to compete with the R1200GS or a freakin' GoldWing or something, but it's quite amazing how nice this thing cruises for such an off-road oriented bike.

3. Avg. Range is 220-240, depending on conditions and load.

4. BMW recommends 91 RON. RON (Research Octane Number) is the fuel rating in Europe and most of the world. In the States we use PON (Pump Octane Number). When you convert 91 RON to PON, it figures out to be in between 87-89 PON here in the states. That's low to mid grade. You can get it converted at the dealer to run 85-87 PON regular if you want though. Everywhere I've been in the states has 87-89 oct though, so I opted out.

http://www.answers.com/topic/octane-rating-1

The Griz screwed with this post 02-04-2009 at 10:40 AM
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:43 AM   #8
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,441
This is straight from the owners' manual. Cut and paste.

Fuel
Recommended fuel grade 95 ROZ/RON, Super unleaded
-with regular unleaded (RON 91)OE 91 ROZ/RON,
Regular unleaded fuel grade, usable with power and consumption-related restrictions
Usable fuel capacity approx. 16 l

So. RON 95 unless programmed for RON 91 (OE option). Is that not how this is supposed to be interpreted?
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:56 AM   #9
Roonie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
there is no knock sensor in these bikes either..... The BMW tech told me because it is a lower combustion engine then the 1200 so it doesn't need it....... I guess.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:18 PM   #10
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonie
there is no knock sensor in these bikes either..... The BMW tech told me because it is a lower combustion engine then the 1200 so it doesn't need it....... I guess.
I think it's to keep the price down. If we had knock sensors we could run any grade gas (like the GS12s) and the system would detect knock and retard the timing appropriately. Instead, we just buy gas that should let the engine knock in the first place.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:19 PM   #11
Uncle Pollo
Santos Vega

Oddometer: 46,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner
This is straight from the owners' manual. Cut and paste.

Fuel
Recommended fuel grade 95 ROZ/RON, Super unleaded
-with regular unleaded (RON 91)OE 91 ROZ/RON,

Regular unleaded fuel grade, usable with power and consumption-related restrictions
Usable fuel capacity approx. 16 l

So. RON 95 unless programmed for RON 91 (OE option). Is that not how this is supposed to be interpreted?

fix
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:53 PM   #12
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
The USA and Canada rate octane using (RON + MON)/2. MON tends to run 8-10 points below RON depending on the composition of the gas. In Europe and Australia octane is rated by RON alone. 91 octane pump gas in the USA and Canada is virtually equivalent to 95 octane pump gas in Europe and Australia (do the math). Your F800GS will run just fine on 91 octane premium unleaded fuel as delivered without the need for any remapping.

In Mexico I have had parts ping at me when I washed them in Mexican gas, so you are taking your chances down there and in many parts of South America.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:41 PM   #13
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,660
Gas!

Who cares weather you have to use High Test gas. So it costs .50 cents more per fillup, maybe.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote