User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2009, 01:02 PM   #1
Olas OP
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,920
'87 XR250 + a box of parts = project time

I couldn't pass this deal up, it's titled, didn't cost much at all and it's all there (as far as I could see). Plus, I love a good project!

I was able to score some info from the previous owner (PO) and a couple of receipts that were in the box. The receipt, from Al Bakers XR's Only, says that, in May of 1994, a NIKS rod kit, 76mm piston and a gasket kit were ordered. Another receipt suggests the cylinder was "Bored 120" of an inch - Honed w/ a Rigiotner flex hone: .0015" clearance as per customer's orders, would recomend more" .

Apparently, from what the PO told me, soon after this work was done the bike was not ridden for too long because the bike aparently started smoking soon after the work was done. They took the bike in to a dealer who quoted about $2000 worth of work and they said no. Ever since then the bike's top end and other parts have been sitting in boxes. He thinks the valves weren't adjusted right. I'm not sure what to think.

Did the bike run low on oil? Did an oil line get clogged? After these upgrades were done, was something not done correctly? I'll have to figure these things out. I need to buy a service manual before I get started. I'll probably end up splitting the cases because who knows what's in there after all these years....It will be a little while before I can get started on this project but it will get done and it will get done right. Here are some pictures from today:

The bike:

Couple of boxes:

Top end:

Pictures of the piston:

Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:04 PM   #2
Olas OP
the darkness

So here's where the immediate trouble begins, the cam shaft and rockers don't look good at all.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:07 PM   #3
Olas OP
the darkness

I'll spend the next couple of weeks reading and learning about the bike. I know i've seen a couple of threads about these bikes here. A service manual is for sure going to be needed and, of course, the advice from you folks. What do you guys think happened here?
Old 02-05-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
jgrady1982
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
To me (complete amateur) looks like no oil. Perhaps an oil line was clogged, starving the top end of oil. Take an air hose to all the oil lines and blow the heck out of them. Also replace all the screens. That could be a good cheap start. Looks like you may be purchasing a new CAM and rockers though. Keep us posted - Jack
jgrady1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:39 PM   #5
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,741
Looks like fun. I was broke during the late 80's and early 90's when these bikes ruled the earth or I would have had one myself.
Take off the right side cover and check the clutch and oil pump for wear. It could be as simple as the previous owner busted a ring trying to put it together. That cam and a couple of rockers are finished... but you knew that. 1 and 1/2 thousandths clearance in the bore is too little for an air cooled motor. IMO. It was very common for people to punch these bikes out to a 280cc

Reposado1800 screwed with this post 02-05-2009 at 01:48 PM
Reposado1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:51 PM   #6
Olas OP
the darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayjars
1 and 1/2 thousandths clearance in the bore is too little for an air cooled motor. IMO.
Both you and the machinist who did the work think this...why do you think the PO had it done this way? Was it maybe recommended by XR's only at the time?
Old 04-15-2010, 06:49 PM   #7
HondaRider1102
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Looking for a manual?

Hi there,
I just recently sold my old 1979 Honda XR250 to trade it in for something a little newer. When I still had it, however, I bought one of the Clymer manuals for it which I ordered from the local Honda dealer. The manual I used would be the same one you would want to buy and I would certainly reccommend it.

Here's the link on the Clymer website:
http://www.clymer.com/Book.aspx?bid=...350R+1883-1985

Hope this helps
HondaRider1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:23 AM   #8
Olas OP
the darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez
Man I just love finding an old thread of someone refurbin' an old bike that I can read start to finish and watch the transformation. Great job on getting that bike running again!! Between this thread, Blakes 600 build and a few other ones, I would kill to find an old Honda to bring back to life. These a great bikes and you guys should be proud for breathing life back in to them. Who knows, maybe someday I'll find a nice project too .

In the mean time, back to my pig (KLR650) to keep me busy. Again, great thread!!
Thank you! It was a fun project. It's great having a bike that you've gone through yourself as much as I did with this one. Sure, it might cost more than just buying one that's already running but in the end I believe it is money well spent. It's definitely a keeper at this point and having a license plate on it is very nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaRider1102
Hi there,
I just recently sold my old 1979 Honda XR250 to trade it in for something a little newer. When I still had it, however, I bought one of the Clymer manuals for it which I ordered from the local Honda dealer. The manual I used would be the same one you would want to buy and I would certainly reccommend it.

Here's the link on the Clymer website:
http://www.clymer.com/Book.aspx?bid=...350R+1883-1985

Hope this helps
Thanks for the recommendation! I have the Honda Service Manual myself and it definitely helped me go through this rebuild. Probably couldn't have done it without.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:50 AM   #9
Olas OP
the darkness

Another vid...

Excuse my buddy Adam...guess he got a little excited at the end there

Old 04-16-2010, 10:27 AM   #10
Redhurricane
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Olas, I am extremely happy to have run across this thread.

I just bought a 1990 XR250R that has very similar beginnings to your thread, and I am going to do just about the same thing with mine. Purchased here in Denver for a few hundred $$, the bike has the same cam/rocker issues. Center cam journal is toast, and most of the rocker arm faces are flat-spotted. Looks as though it starved for oil on the top. Looks as though I may have to send the head off to XR's only as well for the weld repair on the cam journal. I'd like to strip the bike down to bare parts and go through ALL things to have a solid spare bike for visitors.

I would be VERY interested in a decent used camshaft if the numbers work. I'm bidding on a cam on fleabay right now, but it's getting a little rich for my blood. Hoping I win the auction on the rocker arms though as they seem a bit more rare. I'm in Broomfield so I could come your way quite easily.

I've started a thread on Thumpertalk in the XR250/400 forum on the build. No pics yet but will probably do a similar documentation to what you've done as it progresses.
Redhurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:14 AM   #11
Olas OP
the darkness

Hi there Hurricane! I have some spare engine parts but unfortunately I'd like to keep most of them just in case....I found most on ebay and some on craigslist. Parts for these bikes are pretty common but most of the time the prices do seem to be a bit steep.

Some parts that I could sell for a few bucks include:

-Airbox
-Used Air filter
-front and rear fender
-right side cover
-swing arm (for a disc brake xr250)
-rear brake master cylinder, reservoir and hoses
-front wheel missing a couple spokes

Plus other random bits....if you need anything else (besides a cylinder head, valve cover, or other top end parts) let me know. I'll PM you my phone number.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:56 PM   #12
River Runnre
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas
Thank you! It was a fun project. It's great having a bike that you've gone through yourself as much as I did with this one. Sure, it might cost more than just buying one that's already running but in the end I believe it is money well spent. It's definitely a keeper at this point and having a license plate on it is very nice!
I'm going to have to keep telling myself this as the costs keep mounting. I'm starting to feel like a sucker for buying my project.

Enjoyed the video, gives me something to look forward too. I can't ride stuff like that with my sportster

Also - I got the cam it looks great. Thanks.
River Runnre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:11 AM   #13
Olas OP
the darkness

River,

You're welcome!
Old 05-28-2010, 08:16 AM   #14
Olas OP
the darkness

Rear shock - BLOWN!

Got some riding in last week and blew my shock on the last ride...bummer. I'm looking for a good used one but for the moment it's back at the suspension shop getting evaluated. We'll see what happens!

Had some strong winds last week...I found a lot of downed trees as a result.

Here's some pictures:

My girlfriend's XR200 is also a fun little bike: