o

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged screwed with this post 02-14-2009 at 11:33 PM
motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:43 PM   #2
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 883
Whoops....lost the first installment....back in a bit...

Its about this kind of stuff....

A cold start...

Getting that look in his eye.....Calafia Dreamin'....

"I wish they all could be Esmerelda girls ..."

Some good days....

Some remarkable routes...

Some days where you just get your ass chewed out...

And other days that make it all worth it...

motoged screwed with this post 09-24-2010 at 12:17 AM
Old 02-15-2009, 03:53 AM   #3
Hosebag
Difficult but Useful

Oddometer: 864
Hosebag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:25 AM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,557
We've seen 2 or 3 other inmates from BC make the same pilgrimage to Baja this winter... let's get going

Old 02-15-2009, 10:02 AM   #5
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Well, it started out well enough. A riding pal, Darren, told me in the summer of 2008 that he wanted to go back again. He and I had done a great trip which covered the full range of the peninsula the previous year:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199166

That trip was the genesis of the Pendejo Legacy, a series of chronicles accounting for the adventures and misadventures of various motorcycle miscreants sampling sand, fish tacos, margaritas, and gasoline availability throughout Baja:

My love affair with Baja began in 1989 when I spent a month in the south cape region exploring, kayaking, and camping. About eight trips later by truck and/or motorcycle, I am used to hearing myself say at the end of each trip, "Well, that will do me for a few years....I need to plan a different riding trip next time.".

And sure as hell, within a week or two I am looking at my Baja Almanac considering the rides not yet done.

ADVrider certainly whets an appetite for riding in a variety of places on the Blue Planet and we are all indebted to it for our ride fantasies and planning.

The Baja reports just open up new perceptions of the myriad of vistas, tastes, people, and adventures there for the taking.

But enough of that .

Los Tres Pendejos coalesced from these humble origins. It started as my own "aventuras solitarias " on my 1981 R80 G/S:

...several overloaded solo and group rides on the '96 oilhead...

... and has developed into the sensible notion of applying the appropriate tool for the job at hand:

Uno, dos, tres....si, senor ...somos los tres pendejos

Old 02-15-2009, 11:53 AM   #6
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

My riding partners drove down to Kamloops from their homes in Edmonton on December 4/08. We had not yet had any strong indications that winter was going to give us the cold shoulder....but the Friday morning we woke up to start to load the truck and trailer we were greeted with a dusting of the white stuff...

Mark was pumped as he had never been to Mexico before, never mind the luxury of a month riding Baja. He is relatively new to riding, but over the past few years he has developed strong riding skills...

He loves his Yamaha 450 and it treated him very well over the 5 weeks away..

Darren and I have been riding together since 2000 when I bought my first dirt bike, a sweet 350 Husqvarna...

But I digress...

Darren's mistress is his Husaberg 550, a most capable beast that has been to Baja three times now in it's youth...

The plan was to load the bike, edit our gear, and stuff the truck on Friday so we could get out of Kamloops by dark o'thirty Saturday morning. The snow was both an irritant of sorts but also a reminder of what we would be leaving behind.

We got right to the job of loading and packing:

The trailer had been prepped with new rims and tires, bearings and bearing greaser units....and while the trailer was a heavy one, Mark felt assured it was up to the task

My skepticism (a contaminant for group activities) was expressed mildly at that time, but I figured we would deal with tire issues as they developed

Darren and Mark got right at it while I documented the process...

We amazed ourselves with our brilliant loading suggestions, abilities to materialize tie-downs from the depths of the MATRIX, and the speed with which we did all of that...

Stuffing the boot, as it were, was a smooth move...

We each took an extra set of tires for the bikes as we needed to be over-prepared....although we were confident that our tire choices were the correct ones, based on previous rides: Maxxis Desert IT's for the rear on all bikes with Bridgestone Ultra Heavy duty tubes fore and aft (no slime as a slimed tube cannot be patched). Darren and Mark had Maxxis Desert IT's on the front, whereas I stuck with a Kenda Parker DT front (later a moderate regret only because the Maxxis wore better...I used the "same" Kenda two years earlier and had preferred it over the Pirelli MT18 HD I had used before that....the Parker DT this time appeared to have a slightly different tread pattern than the previous one....I like it still as it is rated 6-ply...but would use the Maxxis next time....and let the shop mount these stiff shoes).

Once the truck was loaded, the spare tires cabled under the bikes, and sundry items stowed here and there, we congratulated ourselves and retreated inside.

Early Saturday morning we departed Kamloops by 7:00 am....pretty good, we figured.

First stop was just south of the 49th parallel to pick up some pre-ordered bike stuff and then down the I-5 to Seattle...

The trip south was a blur...

Our pace was good and we made a pit stop in Eugene Oregon by 7:00 pm...

We took turns driving along the way down. I took over the wheel after about 10:00 pm or thereabouts.

Everything was smooth as could be. Our plan was to drive straight through to San Diego...we had rooms reserved at Motel 6 in El Cajon for Sunday night....so we could make a quick getaway to Tecate Monday morning.

Somewhere south of Sacramento I fell asleep at the wheel at about 2:45 am.

The rumble strips didn't really wake me up....the sound of the gravel on the shoulder and in the ditch spitting off the wheel wells is what seemed to wake me up...

Whipping the truck and trailer back onto the highway was a....might I say...."exhilirating" wake-up call....that also woke my passengers up from their slumber rather quickly.

I must thank them both for their subdued response to my negligence... :t opes:mrsk basa:non o

No need to really describe how badly I felt for nearly killing us all ...I couldn't hide

I was feeling guilty and ashamed of my performance...

and all I could really do was to let Mark have his truck back...

I was wearing it...:non o

Old 02-15-2009, 11:58 AM   #7
GSdiablo
cubical farmer

Oddometer: 695
thats too funny

We just got back from from El Delfin Blanco. I assume Osa treated you right Very nice lady. Can't wait to hear more about your trip