User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2004, 10:07 PM   #1
Scoot Jockey OP
BST Faithful

Oddometer: 73
Adventure 640 tank guards/trip pics

Recently I installed the new tank guards from Hepco Becker on my 2003 Adventure, and am pretty happy with the results. Upon pulling them out of the shipping carton I was quite impressed with the build quality, and the finish. The fun really starts when you go to install them.
Attached Images

Scoot Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 10:13 PM   #2
Scoot Jockey OP
BST Faithful

As you may be able to tell in the photo, there are two places it attaches to the bike. the first is a crossbar which mounts to the headlight mask/instrument holder, and sits underneath the headlights. Because of this, you have to either mount the dirt bike style fender like I did, or you have to buy two more aluminum distance bushings, and two longer mounting screws for the enduro style fender.
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2004, 10:25 PM   #3
Scoot Jockey OP
BST Faithful

The second place it attaches is down on the front motor mount. It uses one of the frame bolts, and the through bolt that goes through the front of the motor. These were very difficult to get bolted down, because they were sprung a little outwards, which is hard to explain, but it took a big "c" clamp to pull them together before I could bolt them. It kinda makes me nervous having that tension on my motor mount, so I hope with time the tension will relax. The middle bar going in front of the radiator mount is simply a crossbar between the two sides of the crashbar. This is also a challenge to fit since at first it wanted to rest on the fronts of the tank sides. I then tweaked it by bending it towards the front of the bike, but in doing so, the crossbar starts to make contact with the rear of the fender. These crashbars were probably made using a 2004 model, so for anybody with a low fender should not have as much trouble.

Scoot Jockey screwed with this post 05-31-2004 at 10:53 PM
Old 05-31-2004, 10:29 PM   #4
Scoot Jockey OP
BST Faithful

Now that they are all installed, I am satisfied, but I put it on a difficulty scale of about two oil changes, and valve adjustments!
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2004, 10:34 PM   #5
Scoot Jockey OP
BST Faithful

This weekend, I decided to put the new guards to the test. Well, or at least go for a ride in the desert. The west desert in Utah is full of roads like this. These bikes are definitely made for fast riding over dirt. What a rush!
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2004, 10:36 PM   #6
Scoot Jockey OP
BST Faithful

I followed the Pony Express trail which stopped at places such as this in Simpson Springs.
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2006, 03:40 PM   #7
Ozadventurerider
Ron The Obvious!

Oddometer: 26
Thumb More detail needed on the LC4 Hepco & Becker engine & tank bar mounting

HI

I am actually the Hepco & Becker importer in Australia.
Had this thread posted to me by a mate who wants to do the conversion on his 03. Technically this kit is for low guard LC4 and only 04 onward.
Had a custmer recently return a set of bars when he tried to fit them to an 03 (he did not try as hard as you obviousley).

Key questions from your good article are.
1) How much did you need to space down the front guard.
2) You mentioned springing the lower mounts with a clamp, was this to engage the thread of the engine bolt or just to bring them in during tightening. EG. Would fiting a spacer have worked to remove any tension.
3) Lastly, "Down the track", how are they going today!

Any feedback is much appreciated. RTO
Ozadventurerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 07:46 PM   #8
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozadventurerider
HI

I am actually the Hepco & Becker importer in Australia.
Had this thread posted to me by a mate who wants to do the conversion on his 03. Technically this kit is for low guard LC4 and only 04 onward.
Had a custmer recently return a set of bars when he tried to fit them to an 03 (he did not try as hard as you obviousley).

Key questions from your good article are.
1) How much did you need to space down the front guard.
2) You mentioned springing the lower mounts with a clamp, was this to engage the thread of the engine bolt or just to bring them in during tightening. EG. Would fiting a spacer have worked to remove any tension.
3) Lastly, "Down the track", how are they going today!

Any feedback is much appreciated. RTO
Hello,

It is great to have you posting. Very good questions and statements. I would just ask, if the guards are only for the 2004 and later models, does this indicate that there is some variation between them and the LC4 Adventures prior to 2004? That would be unexpected.

I was under the impression that the low fender was the reasoning behind that, and folks had found a way to space the high fender so that it would clear. But I had never thought there might be some difference among the years in the areas where the guards mount.

If so, a good question for KTM: is a slight difference between the LC4 Adventures that were built prior to 2004 and those built after where the HB bars mount? That might explain why folks who mount them to the 2003 or earlier models have problems, and HB continues to produce them - because they are for the 2004 onward bikes.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 06:40 PM   #9
motowest
Two-wheeled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,251
Hmmm, good point, Meat.
motowest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:57 AM   #10
joekanter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Any updates?

OK folks-I did look at the index and read through as much as my little brain could handle. So-since there is a gap in time. Has any one put crash bars on their newer 640A's? Are they still a bitch to install?
joekanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:01 PM   #11
Agnostic and Orange

Oddometer: 1,312
I recently busted my gas tank. I purchased set of carbon fiber protectors from Chrisbarnes1(search tank protection) to protect new gas tank from similar accidents. I think it's the easiest solution at this time.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:20 PM   #12
Laromonster
Vesperado !

Oddometer: 1,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekanter
OK folks-I did look at the index and read through as much as my little brain could handle. So-since there is a gap in time. Has any one put crash bars on their newer 640A's? Are they still a bitch to install?
Mounted them on my '05 lasted about 2000kms then broke like all the others at the right side engine mounts, had a local guy weld them, but yet to install them on the bike

'91 Vespa PX 200E "Lusso"
'05 KTM 640 ADV "Fatman"
'99 HD FLHRCI "Leviathan"
Laromonster is offline   Reply With Quote