User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2009, 08:40 AM   #1
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,792
F800GS front brake rotors.

Has anyone put different aftermarket rotors on the front wheel? Like the Wunderlich ones? If so, did it "quiet things up" on the front of the bike?

After re-torquing my steering head bearings, the noise and loose feeling that I was constantly complaining about went away for the most part. I still have a bit of a clack/chatter noise in the front when I hit rough spots in the road. The floating rotors on this bike are VERY loose. I'm assuming that they are the culprit. The ones that Wunderlich sells are non-floating. So I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them. Thanks!

The Griz screwed with this post 02-25-2009 at 08:52 AM
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:51 AM   #2
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
Has anyone put different aftermarket rotors on the front wheel? Like the Wunderlich ones? If so, did it "quiet things up" on the front of the bike?

After re-torquing my steering head bearings, the noise and loose feeling that I was constantly complaining about went away for the most part. I still have a bit of a clack/chatter noise in the front when I hit rough spots in the road. The floating rotors on this bike are VERY loose. I'm assuming that they are the culprit. The ones that Wunderlich sells are non-floating. So I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them. Thanks!
I cannot find the Wunderlich rotors for the F800GS. Can you provide a link?
Old 02-25-2009, 01:24 PM   #3
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
I cannot find the Wunderlich rotors for the F800GS. Can you provide a link?
http://www.wunderlich.de/frame.php?M...prodid=8130021

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mm5...w=&range_high=
Old 02-25-2009, 04:21 PM   #4
LarryC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Can you tell me what the torque specs are for the caliper bolts? I ordered my F800GS Manual but have been told it is back ordered 2 months. Thanks in advance
LarryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:26 PM   #5
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC
Can you tell me what the torque specs are for the caliper bolts? I ordered my F800GS Manual but have been told it is back ordered 2 months. Thanks in advance
I'm not sure. I don't have a service manual either.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:27 PM   #6
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Larry, the caliper bolt torque specs are in the owner's manual. I cannot recall what the value is off hand, so you best look it up or wait for someone else. I did find it in the manual, however.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:39 PM   #7
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Seek, and ye shall find.
Ask, and it shall be given to you.

http://f800riders.org/HoW/showentry....s&searchid=639

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:38 PM   #8
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

The rotor in the picture is not mounted on an F800GS. A give away is the caliper bolts which are female. The caliper bolts on the F800GS are male. I do not know what bike that is, but it is not an F800GS. I do not think Wunderlich sells rotors for the F800GS.

My F800GS caliper below:

Caliper picture from your reference:

tmex screwed with this post 02-25-2009 at 04:44 PM
tmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:54 PM   #9
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Quote:
The rotor in the picture is not mounted on an F800GS. A give away is the caliper bolts which are female. The caliper bolts on the F800GS are male. I do not know what bike that is, but it is not an F800GS. I do not think Wunderlich sells rotors for the F800GS.
Then why would Wunderlich have them on their site listed under F800GS? I know for sure that Lucas (out of France) makes them for the F650/F800GS twins and Wunderlich sells them. I called Wunderlich-USA. Those female bolts you see on there were probably just replaced by the Wunderlich staff who installed the rotors. Or maybe those are the bolts they used by BMW for a while. Just because a couple of bolts look a little different doesn't mean that it's not an F800GS. In fact, I know for sure that it's an F800GS because no other bike's fork protector, axle, and fender connection looks like that. It's unique to the F800GS.

P.S. You'll also notice the Wunderlich neoprene fork gaiters on there!

P.S.S. Wunderlich-America doesn't stock them. They have to order them from Germany, which is why it takes 2-3 weeks to ship.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:17 PM   #10
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
Then why would Wunderlich have them on their site listed under F800GS? I know for sure that Lucas (out of France) makes them for the F650/F800GS twins and Wunderlich sells them. I called Wunderlich-USA. Those female bolts you see on there were probably just replaced by the Wunderlich staff who installed the rotors. Or maybe those are the bolts they used by BMW for a while. Just because a couple of bolts look a little different doesn't mean that it's not an F800GS. In fact, I know for sure that it's an F800GS because no other bike's fork protector, axle, and fender connection looks like that. It's unique to the F800GS.

P.S. You'll also notice the Wunderlich neoprene fork gaiters on there!

P.S.S. Wunderlich-America doesn't stock them. They have to order them from Germany, which is why it takes 2-3 weeks to ship.
OK. The only reason I was doubtful is that I was simply not able to find a proof positive English reference to their availability. The price is certainly reasonable, and might justify a switch if you tweaked an OEM rotor not to mention that you would wait longer than a few weeks replacing any major OEM part on an F8.

I do believe you are correct in the source of the clack. You can prove this by riding the same set of bumps with and without the front brake lightly applied. Short of the clacking, I prefer the floating rotors, but the rigidly mounted rotors might well dissipate heat better.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:32 AM   #11
RedHawk47
Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Bolts

Quote:
The caliper bolts on my F800GS are Torx socket heads as shown in the second photo. (what you referred to as female)
09 BMW F800GS
99 KLR 650 A13
RedHawk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:35 AM   #12
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,698
An Ipod may cure your problems.
johngil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:26 AM   #13
rossaduc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Caliper bolt torque

Quote:

My F800GS caliper below:

Interesting to see you safety wired those bolts. I have owned alot of bikes over almost 40 years of riding, well mine and wife. A couple years back the rear caliper literally fell off of my 11550 GS A and nearly took me with it. Just recently I pulled fron calipers for a look see and cleaning inspection, tightened everything bcak up and in a week or so had fron end noise, one of the torq bolts had fallen out. Now mind you the stock torque for these bolts as I recall is 40 foot pounds, not much. I have found that at least on the 1150 that if bolt loosenes at all it will rattle in its threaded bore easily and this I am sure leads to bolts falling out. I am not sure why BMW has usch a loose fit on caliper mounting bolt hole threaded bores but they do. I also am not a fan of torq fasteners. I presently use lock washers on all of these fasteners as I get to them. I am also going to convert to standr hex socket head bolts, something I have lots of tools for meaning bits I can put on torque wrench. I think safety wiring these fasteners is a good diea. Or at least loctiting or lockwashering them. I have not had this issue with any other bike, in fact I use antiseize on my 996R sand have had calkipers off a zillion times and do not use a torque wrench. I have never even had one loosen and I do not use any locking agent. Of course the current ti fasteners in use are a nice fit in the threaded bores as well. Rich
rossaduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:31 AM   #14
rossaduc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Caliper bolt torque

Quote:

My F800GS caliper below:

Guys the terminolgy is SHCS socket head cap screw, HHCS, hex head cap screw, or torq head cap screw. Not male or female but hex or socket or torq. Clearly someone has replaced the standard fasteners with cap screws drilled for safety wire. You can also do this with a socket style cap screw. Rich
rossaduc is offline   Reply With Quote