User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2009, 09:34 AM   #1
tipler OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Remapping the 800GS to run on regular pump gas

Has anyone opted to have their 800GS remapped to run on regular rather than premium? If so, what's the mileage like? I've read that there is a 2 hp loss and fuel consumption goes up a little.
tipler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:58 AM   #2
1 Bored Clerk
Mama, I'm goin fast!

Oddometer: 10
Is this aimed at being able to travel to countries where premium is not available and gas is in generally poor condition? Just curious.
1 Bored Clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:05 AM   #3
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Bored Clerk
Is this aimed at being able to travel to countries where premium is not available and gas is in generally poor condition? Just curious.
Yes, and you can include the U.S. among those countries. I often ride in the Great Basin area (eastern OR, northern NV, ID, UT) where most gas stations don't carry premium. There are plenty of places out here where you can ride all day and not come across a premium dispenser. So I'm also interested in hearing from anyone who has done the remap. Now that I have a pretty good baseline mpg after 3000 miles on the odometer, I will be able to make a decent comparison. But I'll someone else be the guinea pig.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:19 AM   #4
1 Bored Clerk
Mama, I'm goin fast!

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
Yes, and you can include the U.S. among those countries. I often ride in the Great Basin area (eastern OR, northern NV, ID, UT) where most gas stations don't carry premium. There are plenty of places out here where you can ride all day and not come across a premium dispenser. So I'm also interested in hearing from anyone who has done the remap. Now that I have a pretty good baseline mpg after 3000 miles on the odometer, I will be able to make a decent comparison. But I'll someone else be the guinea pig.

David
I did notice that eastern OR doesn't always have premium to run. With electronic FI, it seems like it would be a no brainer to put two or three selectable maps on bikes just for this purpose. Good luck with the re-maps.
1 Bored Clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:29 AM   #5
kktos
on a bright side of life

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Bored Clerk
I did notice that eastern OR doesn't always have premium to run. With electronic FI, it seems like it would be a no brainer to put two or three selectable maps on bikes just for this purpose. Good luck with the re-maps.
indeed ! brilliant idea !
kktos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:40 AM   #6
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
I don't think re-mapping is necessary. I've run regular in my F8 when premium was not available on several occassions, and I did not notice any ill effects - no pinging etc. I think the sensor system adjusts automatically. I don't know where this "re-mapping" idea got started. Can anyone point to a reputable source of info that claims you need to re-map?

And yes, I know the F8 does not have a knock sensor...
Old 10-08-2013, 06:32 AM   #7
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks View Post
I often ride in the Great Basin area (eastern OR, northern NV, ID, UT) where most gas stations don't carry premium. There are plenty of places out here where you can ride all day and not come across a premium dispenser.
Since your engine doesn't need premium in that high elevation region, why not just add higher octane available from gas stations at lower elevation when you drop in elevation?

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote