User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2009, 05:07 PM   #1
Mr Farkle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Guatemala Lite - A Desk Monkey's adventure

I'm 45 with two young boys and a 70 hour per week job. Reading the ride reports of other ADVrider's trips south of the US border has helped me get through some long winters. StickFigure , Jean Luc , Trevor & Nina , Bananaman , and Flying Avanti are all inspiring adventurers. It has been a goal for the past several years to be able to ride from the US to Mexico, Panama, or Ushuaia (Tierra del Fuego) but work, family, and the long ride from Chicago make that a very difficult prospect.

Still, there is an option that I rarely see being covered but has now sated my "need" several times. I pick a destination, find someone that rents motorcycles, fly down with a friend or two, and have a mini-adventure. After two trips to Costa Rica and one to Panama that included staying with Embera natives in the Darien, I was ready to head back for something different. Nicaragua was my first choice but no bikes could be found. Another country that has appealed to me is Guatemala. The terrain is very mountainous and lush, the country is rich in history, and outside of a few cities, it's largely rural and devoid of tourists. This is not a hard core, on my own, full-scale adventure but it's no luxury cruise either. I'll take what I can get and love every minute of it.

The one different component about this trip though was that (don't bail on me now!) we would be accompanied by a rider from the rental place. This is not my first choice because much of the adventure of the unknown flies out the window but it was our only option. Looking back, the only negative was that nothing went terribly wrong but there were some big advantages in the form great roads and meeting some cool people. The trip is now over and I'm recounting this from my notes so let's get started.

In searching the Intertube, I came across Antigua-based CA Tours (www.catours.co.uk ). A few e-mails convinced me that I would play a big role in how the trip would come together. The rental place seemed legitimate, the price was reasonable (less than a 3-day ski trip), and a cheap, direct four-hour flight on Taca Airlines sealed the deal.

At 2am on Feb 14, long time friend Dave and I headed off to Guatemala City. The immigration process was painless and though we could have easily grabbed one of many shuttles to Antigua, we had a ride waiting for us. The rental place is based out of a "Moto cafe" and we met our contact, Dave Drudge, our Dutch rider Taz, and Milvia, a friendly employee of the Cafe.
After a quick Tuk-Tuk ride to the Black Cat Hostel we headed back to the Moto cafe to do some ridin'.

Dave in the tuk-tuk. It was a bit cramped.

We were pretty tired from the flight and had planned on taking it easy, walking around Antigua the first day but ended up going for a three hour, round-trip ride that afternoon.

Having no recent opportunities to ride in Chicago's nasty winter, it felt great to be on a bike and heading up a dirt and gravel road into the mountains. At home, I ride an R1200GS and a KTM 950 Adventure so I was more than a little concerned about spending nine days on a small, low powered Honda 200 dual-sport. Other than the limited power for passing, however, it turned out fine. We spent the remainder of the day walking around Antigua.

05 R1200 GS
04 950 Adventure
07 TE 610

09 Guatemala trip - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439951
Mr Farkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 05:14 PM   #2
Mr Farkle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 2: Antigua to Salama

This breakfast was included in our $18 private room. (Yes, $9 each for lodging and breakfast)

It was overcast when we left Antigua and once we hit some elevation, it started to rain lightly. We were on tarmac for the first few hours and having a great time on the twisty roads in the mountains so it was no big deal. There were a few interesting sites on the road. We came across a pickup truck with a man driving and no one was next to him. In the bed of the truck were his kids and his wife. The wife was holding an umbrella as best she could at the 50km speeds. There were a lot of other motorcycles on the roads, almost all of the bikes we saw were 150cc or less. Very few riders wore helmets but many had cowboy hats - how the heck did those things stay on?

After a few hours of riding on pavement we hit dirt and the amount of traffic dropped to almost nothing. Being in the mountains, the roads were never straight for more than a hundred yards. There was a lot to look at as we passed hundreds, maybe thousands, of people walking along the road. We came across pigs, donkeys, horses, cows, dogs, and chickens. But no cats. At one point we came across some construction that had the road shut down for about a half hour.

We wait...

It was hot so we went back to a nearby tienda for a soda and to take in the local scene. This was our first major stop outside of the urban area and it was quite a change. There were about 20-25 teens and a few adults hanging out in the area. We were the center of attention and a few people, including a crazy woman, came up to talk or simply stare at the pale, shaved head, blue-eyed gringo. Blast my lousy Spanish!

I have Rosetta Stone, which is a great tool, but I had not made the time to get past the first few lessons. I know a few basic phrases and can read enough to get the gist of the message but my proficiency is shameful.

We made it through the construction and spent the next several hours on some great, twisty, narrow, dirt mountain roads. Every so often we would encounter a pickup or a bus and there were always people walking or animals to navigate around. Coming from a frigid winter of nothing but working, working out, and sleeping, this was great! It was warm, the view was insane, and the roads were challenging, often blind, and we were traveling at a pretty decent clip. Riding these roads requires your full attention but I wasn't ready for what was just over the next hill...

Truck!

05 R1200 GS
04 950 Adventure
07 TE 610

Old 03-06-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
Mr Farkle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Truck!

I crested the hill going about 30-35mph and there he was, a white Toyota, in the middle of the road, coming at me! The road was 1 1/2 car widths wide, the mountain was on my left, a cliff on the right. There was really no room on either side and, besides, I was going too fast to change my direction in time. I knew that I was going to hit this truck. Having road raced cars for several years I've learned not to panic and this was no exception. At our closing speeds, I had about 1 1/2 to 2 seconds to react and knew to brake hard but DO NOT go down. I did not want to end up underneath that truck! Fortunately, we both braked hard and when I hit the center of his bumper, the speed was low enough that the impact only tossed me onto his hood.

Nothing happened for a few seconds. I then quickly assessed my condition; everything seemed okay. At this point I looked up. The driver was still in his seat, frozen, with eyes as wide as saucers. Above him were several people in the back, all standing there staring at me. I tried to move the bike but it was sideways and there was no place to go. I tried to start it but got nothing. Finally, Taz came back (he had been a few hundred meters in front) and he started yelling at the driver.

The people in the back of the pickup all jumped out and ran up the road about a hundred meters. Once I got the bike moved, the driver took off, stopped for his riders, and was gone.

Hey! Come back!

The bike needed some work. The wheel was bent and the forks were bent back and twisted. But hey, this thread is going under Ride Reports rather than Face Plant so I guess it could have been a bit worse.

We were able to ride slowly into the next town, Rabinal, where we stopped at a bicycle shop and pounded out the wheel (it wasn't pretty) so that it was round again and would hold the tire. Taz managed to finagle the forks and handle bars so that they mostly pointed straight. I felt okay and it was time to put this behind us though I gotta admit that I played that scene over and over in my head a lot that night.

We spent some time in Rabinal and grabbed some lunch. I checked out the local market. Few gringos come here and, being IT-pale, somewhat taller than everyone, and wearing motorcycle gear, I stuck out. It was great fun to look at the locals and, in return, be stared at by pretty much everyone.

From Rabinal to Salama, we were back on tarmac and spent the rest of afternoon on incredible twisty, fast mountain roads. I've ridden a lot of great roads: PCH, The Dragon, Hwy 128, the Cherahola, and the Cabot Trail. Today's roads were comparable but with no traffic.

In Salama, we began what would be our daily ritual of having a cerveza or two, or more, kicking back, and walking around the local area. After a good meal, this day was over. What a day.

05 R1200 GS
04 950 Adventure
07 TE 610

Old 03-06-2009, 05:37 PM   #4
Mr Farkle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Riding in Central America

If you've never ridden in Central America, you soon learn that nearly every rule you've been taught in the states is different.

Speed limit signs are pointless and ignored. Octagonal "Alto" signs translate to "you may be liable if you run into someone". Slowing is optional as is looking both ways.

Tumulos (aka topes / speed bumps) are used liberally to slow traffic. For motorcycles, they mean "passing zone" though we are careful around people. This means that the easiest passing is in town, in school zones and market areas. Usually you give the horn a quick beep to let them know you're there. They're the most fun when you can catch air and nearby children cheer. It's an odd feeling to pass a cop, hitting your horn, in a no passing zone, and having nothing come of it. You get over it though.

Within 30 minutes of riding in Central America, I would bet that most foreigners have figured out traffic. You become completely accustomed to passing in no-pass zones, around blind corners, up hills, wherever. Is there a bus coming at you? No big deal. Everyone makes room. Usually.

Then there are the non-traffic hazards. The thousands of kids that you see along the road know to look out. Cows are idiots. Not only do they take up half a lane but they turn their heads to see what is passing them. Potholes, gravel patches, mud slides, washouts, tumulos, etc can be anywhere. Be alert and don't ride at night.

05 R1200 GS
04 950 Adventure
07 TE 610

Old 03-06-2009, 06:26 PM   #5
Mr Farkle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 3: Salama to Lanquin

We woke to a caged toucan. Sadly, they had no Froot Loops.

By the time we got going, the sky was overcast and it soon started raining. Hard.

One of the disadvantages of not riding alone is that you must occasionally compromise. I could ride all day. I'm usually awake by 5am and am ready to go. Today, I could have missed the rain completely. I'm sure that my travel buddies have their own lists of things that would rather not have to deal with - my snoring, boring stories (over and over), etc. Fortunately, we get along great and it's no big deal

We stopped for awhile to wait out the rain, rode for awhile, then stopped again. Given that we were at a high altitude in the mountains, this thing could stall over us all day so we got going again and, sure enough, it wasn't long before the skies cleared and we were tearing it up once again. After a lunch break ($2.00) in the city of Coban, we headed off to Lanquin. The riding was terrific and the pictures hardly portray how beautiful it was.

The road to Lanquin was 11km of some of the worst pot holed and washboard gravel that I'd ridden in a long time and it was good to park the bike and walk around town for a bit. We checked out the village square.

All of the towns seem to have a village square or central meeting place. This is pretty cool. There are usually kids playing, a small market, and at least one or two vendors selling food. We ended up spending two nights in Lanquin and on the first night, it seemed that everyone was at the same festival. The next night, a Tuesday, was church night. By the end of the night, there was litter throughout the area but by morning, many people would pitch in and the streets would be clean. We saw this in all of the towns where we stopped.

This is the bathroom door in our room. It's closed. No frame and it is "shut" in the middle of a window.

05 R1200 GS
04 950 Adventure
07 TE 610

Old 03-06-2009, 06:32 PM   #6
Mr Farkle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Parque Nacional Grutas de Lanquin

Early that evening before dark, we headed over to Parque Nacional Grutas De Lanquin - the local Caverns. Thanks to "StickFigure's" ride report, I knew what to expect for Lanquin and Semuc Champey. The caverns did not disappoint. We joined about a dozen other tourists. We knew there would be bats. We waited. After awhile we began to hear their chirps and see a few flitter by. All the lights were shut off for a few moments and when we started firing our cameras, you could see the bats. Thousands of them. Flying within inches of our heads.

Dinner that evening: Fried chicken, salad, tortillas, and fries, cost 30Q ($4.20) . At least I think it was chicken, it may have been bat.

05 R1200 GS
04 950 Adventure
07 TE 610

Old 03-06-2009, 05:19 PM   #7
undersea4x2
Big Bore wanna' be

Oddometer: 274
Thumb More , more, more.............

So far so good Mr farckle.................................
I supprised my self when i got to the last photo and................saw I'm the 1st reply......

Keep it coming and can you put a summary of the prices for hire and living please as I'm always interested in that part of the world but have no idea how much it costs to get around.
I live on a BIG island, Australia and as such we cant nick over a boarder and have a cheap holiday. Its airfares and hireing and licences and insurance..............You see what I mean???

Cheers

Under

But how to dance in the rain.'

My RR's
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=482773

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=tassie
undersea4x2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 05:22 PM   #8
picoda
Dalmatia

Oddometer: 221
picoda is offline   Reply With Quote