User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2009, 06:00 PM   #1
2touringtheworld OP
World shrinkers

Oddometer: 1,211
Kim and Mike's Most Excellent 2009 Icelandic Adventure

Well 2009 is upon us and we have a chance to do another installment of Kim and Mike's Most Excellent Adventure #?. Last year it was Alaska and the Canadian Yukon and in 2007 it was NH, VT, Quebec, Labrador, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia and ME via the Trans Labrador Highway (see the links below).

So where to this year? How's your geography? Does this look familiar?

Well we weren't lying about where we are headed in the title of the thread. We're headed to Iceland in late June/early July.

We're in the process of renting machines and I'll have details on them shortly, but a a nice tidbit is that they are somewhat exotic machines that are NOT available for sale in the US (tasty!). We'll keep you all up to date as this trip firms up. We are psyched!!! More soon...

Mike and Kim

Real time satellite tracking via Spot. Go here...

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...pPDBsMWPC5DYc4

REVISED LINK 7/2/2009. IF YOU SAVED THE PREVIOUS LINK IN YOUR FAVORITES, PLEASE CHANGE IT TO THIS IF YOU WANT REAL TIME SATELLITE TRACKING.

2touringtheworld screwed with this post 07-03-2009 at 04:49 PM
2touringtheworld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:05 PM   #2
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,357
Is that Shark Key? Or No Name Key?
Old 03-17-2009, 08:30 PM   #3
CopaMundial
Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer: 1,006
Enjoy!

You're going to love it.
I lived in Iceland for almost 3 years. It really is beautiful enough to take your breath away.
In the summer the days are very long so you get extra time for exploring, and excellent chances for photos because the sun is always at a very low angle (creates dramatic colors and shadows).
CopaMundial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:52 PM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,378
Sounds like an excellent adventure.. and you've started this thread 3 or 4 months before it starts!

Old 03-18-2009, 05:16 PM   #5
2touringtheworld OP
World shrinkers

We're just so psyched!

GB,

We're just so psyched, we can't wait. We thought the planning process might be a bit interesting to all as well.

Later,

Mike and Kim
Old 03-18-2009, 06:39 PM   #6
Offblnz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2touringtheworld
GB,

We're just so psyched, we can't wait. We thought the planning process might be a bit interesting to all as well.

Later,

Mike and Kim
Mike and Kim

Absolutely brilliant what you're doing! Can't say that I envy you....nope, not one bit!
Drink some "Brennevin" and get into an alternate universe

I hope you're going to have a great time, in fact I know you are.

Take care.

LC
Offblnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:08 AM   #7
RockyNH
Older Than Dirt!

Oddometer: 1,057
Quote:
GB,

Later,

Mike and Kim
Mike & Kim,
I am psyched for you as well.. looking forward to the planning and the "official" report when you get on the road...

Looks like a great Adventure!

Pat in NH
RockyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:09 AM   #8
pkemppai
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
We're headed to Iceland in late June/early July.

We're in the process of renting machines and I'll have details on them shortly, but a a nice tidbit is that they are somewhat exotic machines that are NOT available for sale in the US (tasty!). We'll keep you all up to date as this trip firms up. We are psyched!!! More soon...

Mike and Kim

Hi

I was there last summer. Great place, indeed. Take a look at my ride report if you like. Perhaps you can find some useful hints there:

http://www.openroads.fi/openroads/islanti/eindex.htm

P.K.
pkemppai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:53 AM   #9
HashSlinger
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Okay, so I am so in and very excited! As I told you this morning. I can't wait for your first post while on the road. Thanx so much for letting me go along for the ride, I will be unable to keep down my breakfast!

Stacey
HashSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:56 PM   #10
2touringtheworld OP
World shrinkers

Safe Arrival and We're Off and Riding

Well everyone,

We arrived safe and sound with at around 11:45 PM local to very thick fog and drizzle. We went through an additional security screening, through passport control and then customs. By the time all was said and done. We were met outside the door by our friend Haddi at about 12:30 who through the goodness of his own heart, picked us up, dropped our tires off at his shop and gave us a ride to his house where we slept the rest of the morning away in bliss.

Then it was back to his shop with prepped bikes ready to go. What more could anyone ask for. Great weather? We didn't get it, but we only got minimally wet with grey skies for the day. But we have to tell you, the scenery is amazing and the people are wonderful. I am compressing and uploading pictures as I type, so we hope to have the first of this ride report for you tonight.

Till later!

Oh and BTW Hash Slinger... Don't shoot!

Mike and Kim
Old 06-29-2009, 03:21 PM   #11
2touringtheworld OP
World shrinkers

OK, time to start this gig for real!

Finally the day arrived. We can't tell you how much we were anticipating this trip. Let's just say that a 5th grader who has been let down the past two X-mas' on the X-Box 360 Rock Band World Tour game anticipation... Geddit?

So with bags packed and the TKCs at the ready...

Oh, I didn't tell you I was bringing my own TKCs... Seems they're fresh out in Iceland and I'm too much of a wuss to ride without them so I'm bringing my own. Lucky for me, they made it to Iceland with no problems and there were no import duties or any such nonsense.

Then it was off to Logan Airport in Boston for the flight where we had the usual...

But I must say, the Icelandic Airlines folks really made the line move and we were up to the podium in no time. Excellent!!!!

We got through security with no issues and headed to the restaurant/bar for a quick lunch to await our flight. No sense in boring ourselves waiting now is there?

No sooner can we say set' em up barkeep than...

Hey... They didn't put in an umbrella. I hate it when that happens.

That one sure went down easy and we might have had another when this big old furry galoot, stuck his watch in my face (err, that might have been me) and said; we need to get going our flight will be boarding soon.

I hate it when that happens.

We got on the plane and I think we got the only row that was not full as well as a view of the Icleandic Air Logo. I think its actually very nice.

Gives you the feeling of a soft flowing breeze.

That was the good news. The unfortunate news was that Satan's very own two best and youngest spawn and their Keepers were in the rows behind us.

First all the video monitors went blank and turned to snow...

Then the hell began... non stop yelling and screeming... kicking of the seat backs... all the while their Keepers did nothing or egged them on. It was hell in a cigar tube less the sulphurous stench. Luckily for us, the spawn were in the opposite row except for the time that they were with their male keeper.

But this hapless creature, this poor man, must truly have been an evil human being with a huge payback, for he was forced to sit with them directly behind him for most of the flight.

He tried eye covers, he tried earplugs, (notice they aren't music ear buds but real honest to goodness ear plugs) to block out the horror to no avail, while the female keeper of the spawn looked on in glee. Notice the man behind the female keeper most likely reading scripture trying to ward off evil spirits. Sorry about the poor pic quality but I dared not attract attention and I took this photo over my shoulder on the sly.

But even after all that, we arrived safe and sound at Keflavik.

As I stated earlier, by the time we cleared everything at the airport it was pretty late, but Haddi really took care of us. He picked us up at the airport in his own vehicle and we made a quick stop at his shop to drop off the TKCs and have Kim try out the Yamaha XT660.

At this point, let me just say a couple of words about Haddi. Haddi personally made this trip possible. I had been working with another motorcycle rental agency in Iceland and long story short, they did not come through. I thought our chance for a trip to Iceland was over. Haddi had seen my plight in the vendor section and PM'd me. He told me he had bikes available (he has 13 of them) and even though it was fairly late in the season, he really took care of Kim and I. There aren't many rental companies that will rent to you late in the season, pick you up after 12:00 midnight, put you up at their own house, put on your own tires and send you on your way. So THANKS HADDI. Oh, and BTW, should any of you want to come here and check out Iceland yourself, Haddi's company can be found at www.ridingiceland.is. Nuff said.

The following morning we arrived at Haddi's shop and the TKCs were already mounted and ready to go. All that was left to do was to pack the bikes and mount Spot and the Zumo. They went on in a snap, but the Zumo is pretty much a waste of time. The Garmin tech rep at Garmin told me that the Europe software had low level detail like major roads. However, it actually has no roads and it looks like we did a bit of driving in the ocean today according to Zumo. So if you are thinking of coming here, save your cash if you are investing in Europe software just for Iceland. We hope to use it some other time, but it will have to wait for now. It's just sort of an expesive compass speedometer for the time being.

Anyway, two more things needed to be mounted. Mr. Cotton and Mr. Cotton's Parrot. If you were paying attention during a particular movie series, you know who they are. Neither say much but are good company.

Oh and sorry about the spot tracks today. It looks like the OK messages only got through today. I think the batteries are dying. I'll change them out tonight and you should get 10 minute tracking tomorrow.

Ultimately, we were able to clear Reyjkavik and headed towards Olafsvik. One of our first major signs we saw this...

So do we go around the fjiord or take the tunnel and save some time. Duh.... save some time. What a moron I am some times. We take the tunnel. We pop out uneventfully and head up Route 1. By this time Kim's getting hungry and spots this Cafe...

We stop and have a snack/lunch and the young woman asks us where we were coming from and ultimately if we came via the fjiord or the tunnel since the fjiord is so beautiful. Doh! So lunch finished, we turn around and head back the way we came. But it was worth it.

It was very hazy and overcast, but it was beautiful and it just got better. Here's a first look...

and it kept getting better...

Then we started seeing these guys everywhere. And I do mean everywhere...

Check out the guys behind Kim's bike. These guys were pretty far away. Some times you have to be careful that they don't run across the road in front of you.

2touringtheworld screwed with this post 11-03-2009 at 06:20 AM
Old 06-29-2009, 04:59 PM   #12
G B
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Welcome to Iceland.
Looking forward to read about you trip.
G B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:18 PM   #13
2touringtheworld OP
World shrinkers

Wrap up day 1

Well folks, it's past midnight so I'm going to wrap this up for the night soon. I'm not sure when the next connectivity is, but I'll post as soon as I can. So here goes...

We made our way back through the fjiord and it just got more and more beautiful. Sheer rock walls, some with natural caves surrounded us, all the while, the ocean beaconed to us always at our side, one way or the other...

It was time to take our leave of our first fjiord and head towards Olafsvik. So again we headed back towards whence we came. Along the way, we found another tiny town which Mr. Cotton's parrot really liked. At least he said so since Mr. Cotton couldn't say anything.

A very beautiful sight. It was just after this picture was taken that it began to rain slightly. A light drizzle, just enough to mess up your visor and your vision. It also began to get dark and it was time to take off the sunglasses and get ready for rain. So as soon as it was safe to do so, we pulled off the road a a very small "turnoff" and looked to our right and saw this...

I probably would never have seen it had we not stopped. What wonderful luck!

Back on the road, the rain picked up and we hit our first dirt roads of the day and some significant construction. There were some sections with asteroid size chunks of gravel that had Kim's attention, but she came through with flying colors!!!!

Ultimately, we made it into Olafsvik, a fishing town...

where we are staying at the Hotel Olafsvik and we had this wonderful dinner...

And for you tonight, we give you this toast to end the day...

Until the next time!!!!

2touringtheworld screwed with this post 06-29-2009 at 05:33 PM
Old 08-03-2009, 09:36 AM   #14
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,199
Thumb Erri

I've added this excellent RR to the ERRI (see below).

Thank you for sharing with us!

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote