User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2004, 05:39 PM   #1
Renazco OP
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,746
KTM 950/640 comfort seats coming soon!

It seems that many of the seat builders today are not dual sport riders and therefore are not familiar with the demand for an ergonomically correct seat for the type of riding many of us have come to appreciate.
A few months back Jimmy Lewis requested if someone knew anyone that can build him a seat, a few suggestions were made and I began to realize that there wasn't really anyone who catered to the dual sport seats other than "Salle Della Valle".
I decided that maybe just for fun I would make a small batch of seats to help other members out. Coming from an upholstery background and being a big critic of seat function I realize that this area could use some help.
The seat business is tricky business because everybody has there own idea of what comfort really is, just go into a mattress store with a half dozen people and you'll have them all laying on different beds.

I sent Jimmy Lewis his seat for his 950 about a month or so ago and thus far he seems very pleased with the outcome. I'm currently working on another seat of his for his 620 that was originally modified by a company to remain annoymous.
I think I've found a real good compromise between soft and firm using a combination of materials that almost feel like memory foam when you sit on my seats. Gel is used in the process followed up by a special foam to restore the firmness that's needed.

I'm currently working on some seats for other members of this forum and I've had some request for more seats from others but I need to get my first batch out first before I can commit myself to any more.
The material used to cover the seats are the suede leather combos and I'll attach a photo for description. Suede doesn't weather well but it sure is the business when you ride on suede, mostly all the PD riders swear by it!
I'll also be working on a vinyl version that will be less expensive and revealed sometime in the very near future.

Thus far I have these folks high on the prority list and they should start seeing their seats by the end of next week at the latest.
Ricardo, Barbasma and Jean-Luc for the 950's Jimmy, Mack and myself for the 640's. I didn't forget you Flanny send me a PM if you still want it done.

I'll have different suede leather combos using orange, grey and black with different color thread to your taste. For the moment I'm only going to offer the standard height seat and a Rally version which wil be taller.
These are the only photos I have thus far but I'll get the other seat photos up once they're completed.

Renazco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 06:22 PM   #2
Jean-Luc
Throttle committed

Oddometer: 2,232
If the comfort/useability is as good as their look I will soon be the happiest camper It will be soooo important before to start our 10 hrs/day ride for more than 2 weeks.

I wish you the best of luck for this project but I know you have all of what's needed to make it successful.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:29 PM   #3
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,261
james I see what you can do

and I admire the way you tread your projects.

Hopefully you will not get cut into the "Comfort" allure of certain costumers,Go for you that you are setting you parameters to the Enduro,dirt rider persona and let the "other" guys keep doing their thing with the Couch potattos...

I view you seat as the selle italia Flite's of the motorcycle world and not the super mega chussy things that don't let you move around.

hopefully your new business endevor is a success and even better we get to colaborate with each other even more.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:47 PM   #4
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,363
These look very nice. You can put me in the queue - I have a 640 Adv.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 09:59 PM   #5
Mully
Kineticist

Oddometer: 3,757
Man those look good, Boejangles!

Nice work!

mully
Mully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 08:09 AM   #6
Renazco OP
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Thanks guys! I guess I should get some prices up huh
Just FYI but I personally use the best materials possible to build these things, I carefully select the hides I use and I don't settle for seconds. The foam and gel alone is pricey enough as it is but it really does make all the difference in the world. Btw, the top portion doesn't have to be suede, I could make them full leather but you'll lose the grip that suede offers (you could always use velcro )
Here are the prices,
Rally and standard seats are $400.00, with any of the following color combinations. black,grey,blue,orange and the simulated perforated material in leather. Choice of threads are black orange and silver and will have more available in the near future.
The vinyl seats are $300.00 using Griptex and I'm currently only offering it only in black.
I'll need the cores returned asap or if you can live without riding your bike for a few days then just send me the core up front. In fact I prefer this method best.
I'll get a list started right away since I'm getting a fair share of PM's, thanks again for your interest!

James

Renazco screwed with this post 08-06-2004 at 05:04 PM
Old 06-16-2004, 08:12 AM   #7
Renegade6
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
It's hard to tell from the pictures but, is it any wider than the standard seat? On the stock one, it's not the hardness that kills me but, having all of my weight on two small points.

1993 BMW R100GS
Renegade6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 03:49 PM   #8
Gert
Made in Denmark

Oddometer: 383
Looks great! I'm not familiar with suede seats on bikes - aren't they a mess when wet ? Or do you impregnate them with something like you can do with boots ?

Someone on this list complained about the Corbin seat (IIRC) that the seams would rub your thighs sore on long rides. Have you found a solution for that ?

What would be the best color combo for a silver bike? black/black or would the black/grey work ? (I'd volunteer my bike as a test object, but I'm kinda far away...)

I know that you believe that you understand what you think I said but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Gert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 04:07 PM   #9
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,170
Let me know when ya have a 640 Adv one to look at in a grippy vinyl
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 04:25 PM   #10
Foad99
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Very Interested!

Mr. Jangles Sir,

I recently received one of the Sommer 950 Suede Saddles. I really like the fit and finish of the seat but would be interested in more "comfort". It is more comfortable than the stock 950 seat, but yours look even better.

I have my stock seat available for recovering as soon as you are open to the masses. I am sure there is a waiting list, so could you be kind enough to add my name?

Thanks,

Scot J
Foad99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 05:25 PM   #11
nomiles
Sledge-o-matic

Oddometer: 4,002
Looks great, James! All the best for your new gig. Are you doing the sewing yourself?

Hope the hardware removal went well and that you're not suffering tonight. Hang in.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:06 PM   #12
Renazco OP
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foad99
Mr. Jangles Sir,

I recently received one of the Sommer 950 Suede Saddles. I really like the fit and finish of the seat but would be interested in more "comfort". It is more comfortable than the stock 950 seat, but yours look even better.

I have my stock seat available for recovering as soon as you are open to the masses. I am sure there is a waiting list, so could you be kind enough to add my name?

Thanks,

Scot J
I'm a big fan of the Sommer seats myself but unfortunately they only offer the covers. I could save you a few bucks by reusing the Sommer cover and installing my foam/Gal combo.
I'll let you know shortly when I can get to it, thanks for your inquiry!
James
Old 06-16-2004, 09:01 PM   #13
Renazco OP
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad
Let me know when ya have a 640 Adv one to look at in a grippy vinyl
Rad, I found the grippy stuff today it's awesome stuff!
Old 06-16-2004, 09:00 PM   #14
Renazco OP
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert
Quote:
Looks great! I'm not familiar with suede seats on bikes - aren't they a mess when wet ? Or do you impregnate them with something like you can do with boots ?
Your right amigo they can get messy but our usual riding gear doesn't allow water to penetrate to our skin. I offer the suede as an option because I think it has good stable characteristics. Suede will darken like Shinola shoe polish but I like to call it characther However I do recommend Scotchgard protection and they usually wear nicely.

Quote:
Someone on this list complained about the Corbin seat (IIRC) that the seams would rub your thighs sore on long rides. Have you found a solution for that ?
I sat on a Corbin seat when they first designed one for the 950 and I thought to myself "what are they thinking" but than again they're Harley seat builders so that's what we should expect. The Corbin seat has satified some customers but the seat is not designed with dual sporting in mind. The handles accomodate the tush nicely but it does little when you stand on the pegs in fact it kicks your knees out like your riding a horse imo.
My solution is to eliminate anything that can get you into trouble, 86 the love handles! Build a seat that is comfortable enough for days on end in the saddle and provide excellent material and asthetics that compliment D/S riding.

Quote:
What would be the best color combo for a silver bike? black/black or would the black/grey work ? (I'd volunteer my bike as a test object, but I'm kinda far away...
)
Anyone of those colors will actually look nice and I'll have some photos up in a few days of customers seats.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:36 PM   #15
GOAT BOY
GOAT BOY

Oddometer: 41
Thumb Corbin Seat

I have a Corbin and I can now ride pretty much all day with no discomfort.

Goat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert

What would be the best color combo for a silver bike? black/black or would the black/grey work ? (I'd volunteer my bike as a test object, but I'm kinda far away...)
GOAT BOY is offline   Reply With Quote