User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2009, 10:45 AM   #1
Pike Bishop OP
Pull Down the Ponzi.

Oddometer: 8,948
Who doesn't ride b/c ATGATT too hot?

It's just starting to get hot here, it's my first summer owning a bike, and I'm wondering if many riders quit riding in the heat of summer because wearing ATGATT is too damn hot...

I'd want to ride, but I'm not sure I'd want to get all bundled up in ATGATT but I'm not sure I'd want to go the t-shirt and sneakers route, either.

Any good solutions to this problem? I wonder whether you could maybe wear wet cotton clothes under ATG and get some cooling that way... ... then again, it's normally like 95% humidity here so maybe that wouldn't work.
Pike Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:52 AM   #2
squonker
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,958
Good question. "too hot" isn't something that applies to this part of the world, but on my trip last summer in B.C. it was near enough 40c and I just couldn't keep my jacket on. Stayed in the pants and boots and wasn't happy about wearing just a t-shirt on top but it was still uncomfortably hot, and with the jacket on might even have been dangerously so. Didn't know what else to do. Never really considered stopping for the rest of the day as an option, but perhaps I should have done.

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker screwed with this post 04-25-2009 at 11:02 AM
squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pike Bishop
Any good solutions to this problem? I wonder whether you could maybe wear wet cotton clothes under ATG and get some cooling that way... ... then again, it's normally like 95% humidity here so maybe that wouldn't work.
It works great. I would forgo the cotton and use silk or polypropylene. (I wear silk)

I can not speak to its effectiveness in high humidity but I know it is amazing in 105+ in dryer climates. The shirt dries out in about an hour so it needs to be re-soaked...

70-90 I wear mesh gear. Anything above 90 I wear my Belstaff Adventure jacket with the built in Hydration pack (vents open) and use the wet shirt for air conditioned comfort.

I always ride and I am ATGATT when I do.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:04 PM   #4
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,829
I dress for the ride and the destination. It's too hot walking around in heavy gear.

On hot days I wear motorcycle sneakers, bmw summer pants that convert into shorts, a good mesh jacket, vented gloves and a dual purpose helmet (better venting). Jacket, gloves and helmet left on the bike while I'm walking around or visiting.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:07 PM   #5
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
I always wear boots and gloves.
On tour, I wear light cover-alls to keep the sun off of me and stop every 80-100 miles to drink water. Places like the southwest will dehydrate you FAST- found that out the hard way. I don't worry much about crashing on the freeway. The main danger for me is falling asleep- so I stop often.

In the twisty-day ride kind of things, I just slow down a lot. I can't afford to have 3 different suits/jackets- whtever. That's not going to stop me from riding, though.

From my experience, most danger is in town with trafic lights and intersections.

BTW- if you have room in your helmet, bubble pack makes for great ventilation. I should sell squares of it as ACME Cool Wad or somethng for $49.95.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:12 PM   #6
asphaltmueller
nomad acc. § 2(3)AVV

Oddometer: 1,006
when commuting on hot days i wear at least a spine protector and summer gloves ( I wear suit in the office).
I think I should get myself a mesh jacket.
On a ride out of town it's always full gear.
asphaltmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:30 PM   #7
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,694
I wear one piece leathers even in 100 degree heat, and sweat (and drink water) a lot.

I don't commute on a bike because I drive a company van with large equipment

in the back. I just ride for fun on the weekends.

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:15 PM   #8
AzB
Fattest thin man

Oddometer: 3,461
I have a set of perforated leathers for summer riding. Underneath, I wear shorts and a tshirt/ss shirt. (just happens to be what I wear to work as well) It's very comfy up to about 90. After that, I do the camelbak/wet shirt thing on long rides. Long red lights are a bitch, so I generally try to find routes without them.

It's also great because I can strip the leathers off at my destination and be in comfy. It only takes a minute or two to do the transformation and I don't even need a phone booth. Which are getting hard to find these days.

Az