ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2009, 10:13 AM   #1
scibeer OP
Lost
 
scibeer's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Central Kali
Oddometer: 891
Who's got the Caponord Tubeless Rim setup for their Adventure?

Anyone here have the Caponord rims on their adventure? I'm looking for a set of tubeless rims for my 990 and thinking of a set from Woody. I read a little after searching but there aren't many posts about using these rims.

I like the idea of a stronger Excel rim, but I'm not sure about the sealing process holding up and wondering what you do if you need to tighten your spokes down the road? Seems like a true tubeless rim would be the way to go.

Any opinions or experience?? TIA
__________________
Bill
scibeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:08 PM   #2
d.l.white
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Oddometer: 15
I've had Caponord wheels from Woody's for the last 8000 miles and love them.I would not have bought the Adventure without this option. I don't
like the Idea of sealing tube type wheels.These wheels are true tubeless.
The wheels are a work of art.There is alot of extra work that goes into
building these wheels. Go on Woody's and he has great pictures of them.

Good Luck

Dan
d.l.white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:44 PM   #3
LoFlow
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Kitsap
Oddometer: 939
I had them on a 950 Adventure and I now have them on an SE. So far they are great.
LoFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:16 PM   #4
Hammer
Hawlin' aZZ
 
Hammer's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Pacific Northwet
Oddometer: 2,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFlow
I had them on a 950 Adventure and I now have them on an SE. So far they are great.
You had them on an ADV? Not anymore!
I have them on mine now! And they are canyon-carvin' sum-beeches!
Hold air better'n a Keno girl in Reno.....
__________________
Hammer
“If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
George Orwell


'06 525 XC "Sledge"
'04 KTM 950 Adventure Thunder
Enough yappin'! Let's ride!
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:21 PM   #5
scibeer OP
Lost
 
scibeer's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Central Kali
Oddometer: 891
So I know they aren't the end all for serious dirt, but I'm hoping they will take at least a moderate amount of abuse. I smacked my GSA rims around and they held up well through high speed potholes and rocks. I know they aren't excels, but the caponord wheels aren't butter soft or anything, right? With the superlace and oversize ss spokes they ought to be better than BMW stockers??

I'm not gonna run street tires, but I'd like a set of 19"/17" tubeless dualsport rims for everyday use that won't fold if they take a hit or two on fire roads. Planning on running tourance, anakees or TKC's on them.

Then get my stock hubs relaced to a 21x1.85 tubed A60 front and sealed 18x3.5" rear for trips that are harder core dirt and run the 908/606 combo on those.
__________________
Bill
scibeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:48 PM   #6
LoFlow
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Kitsap
Oddometer: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by scibeer
So I know they aren't the end all for serious dirt, but I'm hoping they will take at least a moderate amount of abuse. I smacked my GSA rims around and they held up well through high speed potholes and rocks. I know they aren't excels, but the caponord wheels aren't butter soft or anything, right? With the superlace and oversize ss spokes they ought to be better than BMW stockers??

I'm not gonna run street tires, but I'd like a set of 19"/17" tubeless dualsport rims for everyday use that won't fold if they take a hit or two on fire roads. Planning on running tourance, anakees or TKC's on them.
I think you have pretty much nailed it right there. Chris at Woodys says the rims are as good ( or bad ) as the GS rims and will be stronger with the superlace. I haven't punished mine, but they seem to be holding up to dirt and chatter box gravel roads at speed.

I run the Tourances. I can cross this state or multi states, ride gravel/dirt roads for a couple of days, and then haul ass back home. It works out great for me. With no mud of course.
LoFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:28 PM   #7
LoFlow
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Kitsap
Oddometer: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer
You had them on an ADV? Not anymore!
I have them on mine now! And they are canyon-carvin' sum-beeches!
Hold air better'n a Keno girl in Reno.....
Hammer...don't know about your Keno girl in Reno, but I missed those wheels so much that I bought another set. Only this time I got the Capos. Now go back to your gamblin.
LoFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:36 AM   #8
johnyred
Johnyred
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Greece
Oddometer: 16
Alpina tubeless

Has anyone tried Alpina from Italy TST conversion?
They offer a kit for KTM 9xx where you keep the original centers and put new rims and spokes. Take a look here
http://www.alpinaraggi.it/pdf/sts.pdf
When I asked in Greece they wanted 800 euro for the whole conversion.
johnyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:52 AM   #9
Yzlvr
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Newbury Park, CA
Oddometer: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyred
Has anyone tried Alpina from Italy TST conversion?
They offer a kit for KTM 9xx where you keep the original centers and put new rims and spokes. Take a look here
http://www.alpinaraggi.it/pdf/sts.pdf
When I asked in Greece they wanted 800 euro for the whole conversion.
That looks interesting. Anyone have more info on this?
Yzlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:32 AM   #10
danceswithdeer
Space Wrangler
 
danceswithdeer's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Wyoming
Oddometer: 176
I'd definitely like some info as well; very interesting option.
__________________
'08 990 Adventure

"No regrets. That's my motto...well that and everybody Wang Chung tonight."
danceswithdeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014