Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2009, 02:01 AM   #1
Shaggie OP
Unseen University

Oddometer: 2,573
Brass Monkey 2009 (quite a few pics)

A teaser

now i just need to write the report!

(and 'GOSH' it was a bit slippery...especially for an off pavement noob like me!)

Shane

"We are not at home to Mr Reasonable" - Sam Vimes

NZ Touring pics:Brass Monkey 2009:Kiwi Sun:Tiki-touring: Daytrips in NZ

Shaggie screwed with this post 06-09-2009 at 04:56 AM
Shaggie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:24 AM   #2
Shaggie OP
Unseen University

Queens Birthday Weekend 29-31 May 2009

The Otago Motorcycle Club (OMCC) has run the annual Brass Monkey Motorcycle Rally since

It’s located here at Oturehua, Central Otago, South Island.

http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?ie=UTF8&ll=-44.859763,169.645386&spn=2.72182,7.009277&z=8

45° 1'25.57"S
169°53'36.37"E

It’s a region renowned for it’s hot summers and cold winters – tough farming country but surprisingly profitable farming of fine wool sheep, primarily Merino.

This will have been my 12th or 13th Rally but my first taking a dirt orientated route! My good friend Rob West (of Dirt Noob Shaggie Goes Offroad fame) reckoned it’d be a good idea for us to go by dirt!! Yikes! Being not very experienced off the pavement, this filled me with both trepidation and excitement.

Rob has quite the stable of offroad bikes from an elderly DT175 through to his latest acquisition a new DR400 that is equipped with a big tank, comfy seat and is currently located in Sydney – Rob rode the outback late last year and intends going back this coming July and August. He was kind enough to lend me his Yamaha XT660X for this trip and he’d be taking his trusty DR650 – veteran of a 40+ thousand kilometer trip from Alaska to Ushuaia!

Packing up the bikes at Rob’s place – I think I set a new record for me in packing light, that’s my new Ortlieb bag on the back of Rob’s 650

We’d decided to get a bit of a head start towards the dirt from Christchurch by heading about three hours down the road to Lake Tekapo. My mate Pete was going down to Tekapo to stop at his parent’s holiday home for the weekend and offered us a bed for the night – sweet!

We topped up the tanks in Ashburton, Rob reckons my bike will go 400kms on a tank….to a Superhawk rider that’s fantasyland! J

Rob’s trusty flask of tea comes out for the first of many warm-ups over the weekend – it was mostly in the 3-6C range with a low of 0C on the pass tops with the added bonus of howling winds!

I think this was as hot as it got all weekend

We arrived at Pete’s place about 515pm and Pete was due about 630 – I offered to turn the hot water on and light the fire.

Bike’s all tucked up in the garage for the night

Off to the pub for a Burger, fries and a couple of pints of Monteiths Originals! Mmm mmm

The lake is in an amazing condition regarding it’s capacity (as are all the South Island Hydro Lakes) due to heavy rain in recent weeks – this is the first time in the 10 years I’ve been going to Pete’s (family’s) bach (that’s kiwi for holiday home and pronounced batch) that the spillway has been anything but bone dry – it sure ain’t bone dry today! The rumble of water escaping the floodgates was quite loud.

This morning we had to come back from Tekapo about 10kms to Dog Kennel Corner to take the turn off to our first off pavement high country pass through the Black Forest Station.

Looking back towards Tekapo and the Southern Alps beyond

Rob pulling in a Dog Kennel Corner

Waiting for the off!

After about a few kays of tarmac it turned to gravel and the real adventure began!

Fog was the order of the day to start

The fog went on for about 20 minutes and was far thicker than the photo would suggest – at most times we struggled to see more than 50m ahead and often less – farm trucks (utes in local parlance, short for utility vehicle) appeared out of the fog with scary immediateness (is that a word? It is now!) The power pylons loomed out of the murk like characters in Stephen King’s The Mist.

We passed Black Forest Stations two holiday homes they rent out and arrived at the homestead and paid Joe the Station owner (i think that was his name anyway!) our $10 each for access on his land through to Lake Benmore – in return for the fee, Joe told us the combination lock code that would mean we didn’t need to lift our bikes over the gate at the other end! Deal!

The Rosehip bushes were putting on a display of red berries for us:

Sidenote: much as the pylons intruded on just about every photo we took, we decided that without the pylons and their maintenance roads existing, we likely wouldn’t have been riding here so we put up with them!

It’s been a year or three since my last stream crossing so am pleased to report that I stayed upright though all of the crossings encountered! There must have been more than 10 or 12 over the weekend.

Rob had promised me amazing view overlooking Lake Benmore hydro dam but when we arrived it was pretty murky – cool n spooky tho!

Then miraculously as soon as we had arrived it cleared up to reveal

If we’d arrived 5 minutes earlier, we would likely have carried on down the track, disappointed!

Rob took a couple of cool pics of me

In the distance in the above pic, you can see where the pylons cross through a dip in the ridge, we stopped there for a cuppa

Looking back up the road

We’re heading for that road down there on the left

Rob was waiting for me at the Benmore gate (he was ALWAYS waiting for me – he’s a saint….and a darn good rider) but while he undid the lock I snapped a couple of quick pics of the dam

that’s where we just came from up there!

here’s some info from Wiki about Benmore Dam:
“Benmore Dam is the largest dam within the Waitaki Power Scheme on the borders of the Otago and Canterbury regions in New Zealand’s South Island. There are eight other power stations in the valley.
The dam is the largest earth-filled water-retaining structure in New Zealand. Its core is impermeable clay-like gravel, supported by two massive shoulders of river gravel. Lake Benmore has a volume of 12.5 million cubic metres which is about 1.5 times as much water as Wellington harbour. The dam's spillway can cope with 3,400 cubic metres of water per second, about 10 times the mean river flow. With a generating capacity of 540 MW, Benmore Power Station is the second largest hydro station in New Zealand.
We then rode up the eastern side of Lake Aviemore

which is the next hydro dam in the Waitaki scheme before crossing over Aviemore Dam to the main road and down to Kurow for gas. Rather than stop for a Flat White in the local café we decided to have another one of Rob’s famous flask cup of rosey lea up on the top of the next pass, Dansey’s Pass. So it was a few kays down the road to Duntroon then a right onto the Dansey’s Pass road.
The sun was out (although not doing a great deal!)

but it was pretty windy at the top

so we went down the other side looking for a sheltered spot.

As we took onboard the warming elixir, a ute stopped to see if we were alright (nice folks!), a couple and their young fella in the baby seat in the back – now living in Coromandel up North they were both from the area (Kurow and Omakau) and were down on holiday. Nice people and impressed we were going to the Rally via the dirt passes. After they were happy that we were both okay, they carried on around the next corner:

Dansey’s Pass hotel was an overnight stopping place for the gold mining era horse drawn coaches and today was also a lunch stop for a group of vintage cars touring the region

The Danseys Pass Hotel was built in 1862 by Edwin George, its stonework apparently paid for in beer. The hotel served the local miners working the Upper Kyeburn River.
The Pass road finishes in Naseby, our overnight stopping point on this trip (the general thing with BM Rallies is that you camp at the site but we were treating ourselves this trip and so we were going to stay in The Pub!
We decided to head on to the rally site without unloading any gear so we could catch up with friends we expected to see there.
There was quite a good turn out this year

there were some interesting bikes there

(a good friend of mine in the 'States has just got one of these so I just had to take a pic! Hi Dave! )

Rob’s DR has a sticker of his route in North and South America on his windshield so that caught a few peoples eyes!
After chatting to a few people we knew (Hi Miles!) we jumped back on the bikes and headed down the road to Naseby and our lodgings for the
night, The Royal Hotel. I have to say I was a little disappointed with our room and the cost of the meals but the logs fires were lit and there was beer beer beer!
After a good nights sleep, we loaded up and headed the bikes back over Dansey’s Pass – this time however, road conditions were quite different to yesterday!

It was a very slow trip to the bottom! A couple of times the back tyre decided it wanted to lead the way which was interesting to say the least!
We had a nerve steadying drink at the bottom of the hill

Fueled up again in Kurow then took the bridge over the Waitaki and then the turn off up the Hakataramea Valley….did that sign say Haka Pass Closed? Nahhhhhh
The Haka has wide open spaces

There were stream crossings

Bl**dy cold parking spots

and roadsigns for other people……………not our illiterate adventurers!

We then took a detour up and over MacKenzie Pass, named in honour (as is the whole of the surrounding area) of
NZ’s most famous Sheep Rustler.

Looking over towards Tekapo

Up the Pass

It was pretty remote feeling in here!

Back onto tarseal at Burkes Pass – the dirt was over!
I was really pleased with my efforts, slow as they had been, I’d had no offs which was a major concern considering
I was on a borrowed bike!
Through to Fairlie for a large latte and a piece of sensational carrot cake here

I *always* recommend a stop at The Old Library Café!
We’d managed to stay dry most of the weekend but the last 80-ish kays from Ashburton to Christchurch were in the rain!
You’re not supposed to catch up on rain!!!
Well! All done – a fab weekend! I stayed upright, rode dirt, crossed (lots of) streams, told and listened to tall tales!

Cheers and hope yáll enjoyed this RR!

Shane

Edit: oh and the prize that makes all this fun really worth while!

Shaggie screwed with this post 01-06-2011 at 02:16 AM
Old 06-04-2009, 03:11 AM   #3
Mileater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Thumb Good job, Shaggie.

Thanks for the report and excellent piccies

Looks like the weather treated you a bit better than it did us back in ChCh

Cheers
Allan
Old 06-04-2009, 03:26 AM   #4
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,528
Thumb

Simply stunning
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:28 AM   #5
Emmsy Poo
EXPERIENCED NOVICE

Oddometer: 574
Excellent report and wow fantastic photos, you've really got me excited about our forthcoming trip.

Didnt quite realise how cold it was going to be when we come over in 3 weeks, so I will now revise my packing list to include thermals!!!
F800 GS
Emmsy Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:11 AM   #6
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,199
Thumb

Sir,
your report displays an emptiness I know well from Norway, but which is unthinkable here in Italy.
I like emptyness (but don't miss it enough to return to Norway )

Keep up the good work - I hope to visit you one day, but further away simply isn't possible here on Earth.

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:57 AM   #7
dlew
Daypass Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,144
Nice report! I saw your link at the ldrider listserv.
dlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:05 AM   #8
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,379
Excellent report Shaggie!

Seemed like it was a little cold to be splashing through some of those water crossings though.

Great pictures!
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:26 AM   #9
Timba
Luckiest Man Alive

Oddometer: 242
Laugh I may have to relinquish my title

Shaggie,

You sir, are one lucky man. You have a nice little slice of heaven that is just perfect for riding.

I just got back from a 3,100 km trip from central Texas through Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Missouri. It's early summer here, and the scorching temperatures on the way back made me envious of your wintertime weather!

I may have to turn over the "luckiest man alive" title to you.

I look forward to meeting you the next time Amy and I visit your fair country.

"Always aim at complete harmony of thought and word and deed." M. Gandhi. (1869-1948)

TnA's travels
Timba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:18 PM   #10
SkycamNZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Mmmm... reading your report and the memories I have of some of my off-raod adventures in my early motorcycling days gave me a few twinges...

One of the bikes you photographed at the rally site I'm sure Fred Flintstone would have felt right at home on! Ha!

Very cool report chap!
SkycamNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 04:06 AM   #11
Shaggie OP
Unseen University

Mileater - yes we certainly did seem to get the better of it! My wife organised a drinks stand for the marathon and it was bitterly cold apprently!

DavoRallyFan - cheers mate! I think yours pics are simply stunning too!

Emmsy Poo - you'll still need thermals for OUTSIDE the nice warm car!

TaSK - you and Capa della Famiglia are welcome here immediately if not sooner! Perhaps you might like to wait for warmer weather however!

dlew - hi there! perhaps you could email me from the list?

Cannonshot - hi Bryan! Yes well they were pretty darn chilly but my 10 year old goretex alpinestars still keep out the water. My best man (ex-NZ Trials Champ) was giving me a hard time looking at those crossing pics about my speed! "Slow down, man!" he said - that's my offroad inexperience showing i guess!

Timba - awww shucks! you say the nicest things! Looking forward to when Amy and yourself come back!

Skycamnz - cheers Pete!! Thanks for letting us stay Friday night! Hope your weekend went well!

Old 06-05-2009, 09:25 AM   #12
sandiegoland
Adventure Boy®

Oddometer: 1,743
Outstanding! Great collection of photos...
sandiegoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:11 PM   #13
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,199
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggie
TaSK - you and Capa della Famiglia are welcome here immediately if not sooner! Perhaps you might like to wait for warmer weather however!
At the moment, the Financial Crisis is a much bigger obstacle than the weather. Btu we'll hope for better times.

Ride safe, but do ride!

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:13 PM   #14
#1Fan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
Great pics!!
Everyone should be so lucky as to be able to ride a motorbike through the Himalayas.
#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:56 PM   #15
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,642
awesome stuff Shaggie

thanks

cheers

Mark