User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2009, 08:22 AM   #1
Al Goodwin OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,262
My Ride/Race report on the Perry Mountain 24 Hour Challenge

I decided several months ago to race the 24 Hour Challenge, problem is....no REAL dirtbike. Heck, I'll just ride my KLR.

So a few months of thought and bike preparation, the race weekend was here.

I'll start off by saying that I could not have doen this without the help of good friend and business owner Chris Branham(Branham Accessories, Cullman, Alabama for all your truck, motorcycle and atv needs ). Chris and I have worked, raced, and rode together for years, we raced the very first PMMC 24 Hour Challenge 7 years ago on a borrowed DR350. Chris has continued to race this every year since then. The team this year finished fourth in their class, a good run, but I know Chris was a bit dissappointed ....Ya'll get'em next year Chris.

I went to Branham's in Cullman on the Thursday before the race, Chris is hauling all my stuff down for me, allowing me the opportunity to ride the KLR down to the race. We mount up the IRC VE-33 tires on my wheels, and mount up new Shinko 244's on Chris KLR wheels, I'll put his wheels on my bike for the ride down, and back home after the race...(if I'm able ).

So Friday, about noon, I climb on the KLR and head South. It's about a 150 mile ride down, I stop by D&H Cycle in Cullman for a quick hello. This is where Chris and I both worked part-time a few years back, and where I bought my 31,000 mile '06 KLR new. I wanted Gerald, the owner of 33 years, to take a look at the changes I've done to my bike. He says it;s still very, VERY heavy.....really???? Gerald has always told me that if your off-road on a KLR....you chose the wrong bike. I've chose the wrong bike I guess.

I stop at ethe Clanton, Al. Wal-Mart for a case of water and a few other items...bananas, granola bars, a couple of big bottles of Pedia-Lite , etc....Planning on eating light for the next couple of days.

I arrive at PMMC and get waved down my Mark "Treeman" Powell. He had saved a pit area next to his, along with good friend Chuck "Just one more lap" Venable. I head down to Branhams pits to swap out my 16 tooth front sprocket for the race 12 tooth, and to put the wheels on. I get back to the pits to find that Mark and Chuck had put my canopy up for me...Thanks guys.

Marks bike

Chucks bike

We are all running the 40+ Ironman class, this is gonna be fun.

Me and my bike race ready(if there is such a thing with a KLR)

I've got to run now...more to come later.
'04 Honda XR400
'76 Yamaha TY250
Al Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:01 AM   #2
Beez
Given to fly

Oddometer: 5,746
This should be good. Kudos to you for Ironmaning a 24 hour race on a KLR. Some friends and I did a 24 hour at Glen Helen in SoCal on a DRZ400E. But we had a team of 6. It was a great experience.

At one point in the middle of the night, I crashed in a desolate section of the course, bike died and it was pitch black. I had no idea where the bike was. Was feeling around for it with my hands until another rider finally came by and lit up the trail. Then I could see the bike and got going again.
Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:40 AM   #3
Al Goodwin OP
Beastly Adventurer

The night before the race.

Yeah...I'm 6'1" and 245 lbs....riding a 400 lb. bike, this should be fun .

Getting ready for the start

Starting line,...Mark and Chuck, Where are the umbrella girls??

The race starts at 10am. Dead-engine start standing about 30ft. out in front of the bike. We have a short straight, a 180 degree turn, then a left into the woods across a 2 bike wide bridge. I guess they try to single file everyone right at the start.

I just fall in line, then a big jam-up at a hill just 1/4 mile or so into the woods, I jump off the trail and pass quit a few bikes, hey...KLR's can make trails were there are non .

The trails are just what I expected...sand, rock, and later on seat deep whoops, and roots that'll throw you all over the trail. A reall tight downhill that if we'd been going up it I'd really struggled. The big KLR goes up hills quit well, but a handlebar wide single-track criss-crossing a very, VERY steep hill would have been more than I could have handled I believe.

I ran two of the eleven mile laps, leading Chuck and Mike for those two. . I'm feeling pretty good. I get a big ol drink of water/Pedia-lite and head back out. The third lap now, a few ruts deep enough to drag my feet off the pegs, it could not have anything to do with the KLR's ample ground clearance. Sandy area is getting whooped out prety good, what little mud we had earlier is getting better.

Now on the foiurth lap things turn for the worst at mile marker 8 or so. A pretty bad uphill I get crossed up in a couple of ruts and thrown off teh trail, a small tree, about the size of my forearm, catched inside my left radiator shroud...throwing me down the hill backwards. Now with the bike laying on top of me...I hear a BUZZZZZZZZZZZZ...The tree had smashed the radiator back into the fan. I get the bike back upright and moving again...the fan still buzzing.

About 200 yards up the trail they have a first-aid station set-up. I stop there and begin the repair...a bit of pulling, twisting, kicking, and cussing. Alright, got it. I head back out to complete the lap. I've lost maybe 15 minutes or so, I stop to take a break and check the bike over.

By now it's getting close to the hot part of teh Alabama day, so I decide to take a bit of time and cool off. Eat a bite of lunch.

More later.
'04 Honda XR400
'76 Yamaha TY250
Old 06-11-2009, 11:07 AM   #4
Al Goodwin OP
Beastly Adventurer

I head back out the afternoon, about a 3 hour break. Wrestling a 400lb. bike out on that hill drained me a bit. I think I should have spent a bit more time getting the body ready, the bike was as ready as a KLR could have been, I was not.

I go out and just "one-at-a-time" the laps till almost dark. The sandy parts are seat deep whoops by now, one muddy and wide creek crossing has gotten really nasty now...I'd just third gear it across aiming at the smallest rut I could find. I never got the bike stuck, momentum was my friend in several places here.

I just do 3 more laps before dark. I'd planned on riding at night, but I could only think of the mess I'd be in if I got in trouble at night with a 400 lb. bike. I decide to get some sleep.

The pit area is cool at night.

Electronic scoring, I can see just how much time I'm loosing at night.

Now I've only done 7 laps, 77 miles. My plans were to wake up as the sun's coming up and do at least 4 more laps.

I get up and on the bike, head out feeling great, a little sore, but feeling good anyhow. I find the trail has improved a little in some places, but some others are much worse...whoops that's swallow a bike, and ruts that I'd just hit and hope the bike didn't stop moving.

The first of my morning laps was great, feeling good I stay out for a second lap.

Now it turns bad again....4 miles into the lap a big rock jumps up and breaks off my left peg. . I stop and go walk the trail looking for my peg, a fellow racer stops to help, I tell him to go on I'm just looking for my peg, he tells me he's in no hurry. I find the peg and strap it onto my camelback, I drop it off at the next check station. Oh my....try one footing it around this crap on a KLR... I;d stand on the downhills, smooth parts I'd stand and place my left knee on the seat...uphills and rough stuff I'd just have to sit there...OUCH!!!! My right leg will never be the same

So this ended my race, only 9 laps....99.5 miles

I found some bolts for a repair, but they wouldn't catch enough threads were I felt I could've gone back out. They'll last for the ride home anyhow.

The old bolts

More later....some of us are at work writing this.
'04 Honda XR400
'76 Yamaha TY250
Old 06-11-2009, 11:18 AM   #5
the darth peach
eats crackers in bed

Oddometer: 11,397
the darth peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:58 AM   #6
Al Goodwin OP
Beastly Adventurer

So, not exactly how I wanted this to end, 100 miles of sand, rocks, ruts, and whoops on a KLR(my fastest lap was 38 minutes),...although it ended a bit better than Chucks.

Chuck will, from now on be known as "One more Lap" Venable....at about 9:45 am., 15 minutes before the end of the race, Chuck says "I feel good, I'm gonna do one-more-lap". Well, 10.5 miles into that last 11 mile lap...smash, and a broken collar-bone was the result. I hope your doing better now Chuck.

Chuck got Mark by, I bleieve 1 lap, Chuck ran 12, Mark 11, and I had only 9. But I was on a KLR.

Anyhow, I went out and took the checkerd flag. Then down to remove the transponder.

Friend ElectroJoe came around the morning just before the race ended with my favorite,,,KrispyKreme

I wheeled my bike down to Branham's pit to swap wheels and sprockets.

We load up everything back in Branhams truck, and I'm off for the ride home.

I take it easy, checking my footpeg a couple of times on the way. Just a nice easy ride home.

Now the next morning was another story....I could barely walk, the stairs at work nearlly killed me.

I believe, if I do this again, I'll try to spend a little more time preparing my body. This year i done no training at all, that may explain the soreness .

So,....just some random shots of the bike after the race, See ya'll next year.

'04 Honda XR400
'76 Yamaha TY250

Al Goodwin screwed with this post 06-11-2009 at 12:10 PM
Old 06-11-2009, 12:08 PM   #7
Al Goodwin OP
Beastly Adventurer

Read the bike prep here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...0#post10062440
'04 Honda XR400
'76 Yamaha TY250
Old 06-11-2009, 12:32 PM   #8
Camas
Rooster Bastid

Oddometer: 470
Good on yah Al ! !
Old 06-11-2009, 01:17 PM   #9
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,109
Wow!!!!!! Much respect to you. Thats a lot of iron to be tossing around. I love the way you represented us KLR riders with you're bike prep. Raidiator gaurd from Lowe's . Iv'e got to get me a 12 tooth sprocket.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:50 PM   #10
Al Goodwin OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDEBT
Wow!!!!!! Much respect to you. Thats a lot of iron to be tossing around. I love the way you represented us KLR riders with you're bike prep. Raidiator gaurd from Lowe's . Iv'e got to get me a 12 tooth sprocket.

12 tooth sprocket...order one for a 660 Raptor Yamaha 4-wheeler..you'll need spacers inside and outside of the sprocket.

Good Luck
'04 Honda XR400
'76 Yamaha TY250
Old 06-11-2009, 01:20 PM   #11
TreeManG23
TreeMan Racing

Oddometer: 902
Great Job Allen!

It was a pleasure to get to see you again & do some racing.
You the Man!

Are you back to normal yet???

Mark

2004 KLR650, 1985 KLR250
2001 KX 250 #762 B
SmugMug Discount Coupon d5HbqatMuaR3a
TreeManG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:49 PM   #12
Al Goodwin OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeManG23
Great Job Allen!

It was a pleasure to get to see you again & do some racing.
You the Man!

Are you back to normal yet???

Mark
The legs ain't just right yet, It'll take another couple of days before stairs are fun again.
'04 Honda XR400
'76 Yamaha TY250
Old 06-11-2009, 02:00 PM   #13
TreeManG23
TreeMan Racing

Oddometer: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Goodwin
The legs ain't just right yet, It'll take another couple of days before stairs are fun again.
I still feel like I'm just getting over the flu....... I have talked myself into running a small 1 hour race on Saturday. That seems really short after doing 24.....

2004 KLR650, 1985 KLR250
2001 KX 250 #762 B
SmugMug Discount Coupon d5HbqatMuaR3a

TreeManG23 screwed with this post 06-11-2009 at 02:10 PM
TreeManG23 is offline   Reply With Quote