Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2009, 02:56 AM   #1
Bowes OP
Oman Dirty Biker

Oddometer: 214
Newsflash from Oman…..The 8th Wonder of the World Discovered!

On the 10th of June, three intrepid Oman Dirty Bikers would brave the desert & it's searing temperature to discover one of her closley gaurded secrets. Not many eyes have witnessed the discovery we are to share with you lucky readers

So the bikers......Me, the author.

Ian (Grumpy) Greasby

Marcel

The plan was to trailer the bikes from Muscat down to Mahoot, the small Bedou town on the fringes of the great Wahibba sands.

The Road Route shown below

We left Muscat at 17:00hrs for the 4 to 5 hour very boring road trip down to Mahoot. Grumpy passed the time away by drinking my beer and re-programming his GPS manually as he'd forgot to do it when he'd downloaded the route in to my GPS

We arrived in the "hick and happening" town of Mahoot at just before 22:00hrs. We decided against the disco with the locals and checked in to the Mahoot "Smeg" Guest House ran by a hareem of Pakistani doctors. We were greeted with "how are you?" "how are you?" the question to any answer and the answer to any question for these gentlemen is "how are you?" The boys would be up and about for 05:00 the next morning.

The next morning greeted us with hideous humidity, at least it was relativley cool.

Our luxus hotel in the background as we prepped for the days adventure.

The misty effect is due to the humidity on the lens of the camera. Suited and booted we were off across the sand flats to greet the beautiful rolling dunes of the South Wahibba sands to discover the wonderous historical rellic she has kept secret for years.

Offroad Riding - Lap of Oman for Mary 2008: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=416409

The 8th Wonder of the World Discovered in Oman: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476324

GB screwed with this post 06-18-2009 at 03:33 AM
Bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:31 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,571
Looks good! I'm going to fix your pic links so they appear directly, which is one of the great features of hosting your pics on smugmug.com.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:31 AM   #3
Bowes OP
Oman Dirty Biker

I took on lead navigational duties and successfully navigated us in to a rather nasty set of dunes, soft, soft fesh fesh with some really nasty vertical drop offs. Below is my first technical laydown captured on camera. The humidity masking my shame

Soon into this dune set and my front wheel washes out and I am miraculously lie flat out on my back on a dune slip face with the bike on top of me. Petrol pissing on to my legs and boots. Marcel helped me right it, and off we goes. My leg felt a distinct burning sensation. As soon as we reached a flat area we stopped.

A fine set of pins being washed of petrol.

Answers on a postcard if you can guess what's going on in the picture below

Soon after this picture was taken we gets out on to the beach for a stunning 30 oddish KM’s of beautiful easy riding taking in some spectacular scenery.

We then entered in to the big dunes in search of the 8th Wonder of the World. The dunes are huge with no vegetation on them. They are interspersed with very steep and large near vertical drop off’s. Soft sand blown by the continuous winds often lies on the tops of these magnificent drop off’s. Too much speed approaching a drop off then you will become Superman, to little speed and you become Spazz Man. Below is how to make a complete Bollocks of it.

You can see the back wheel buried in to the soft soft sand. The wind pattern on the sand denotes very very soft stuff.

Above the bike is positioned for a correct roll off from the top of a very steep drop off.

This one must have been a 60 or 70m drop off. If you look closely in the picture below you can make out the tracks at the bottom of the dune, these help to give some perspective.

These dunes are really stunning awesome riding. Probably not that many people on our planet have had the pleasure to adventure in these, I felt a right lucky and privileged git.

We rode on and on, temperature was warm but o.k. as we were continually moving. More stunning dune scenery. We stop for a break to take on some energy by eating.

More to follow shortly.......

Offroad Riding - Lap of Oman for Mary 2008: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=416409

The 8th Wonder of the World Discovered in Oman: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476324
Old 06-18-2009, 06:27 AM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,571
Glad you figured out the pic link thingy.. Beautiful riding in Oman

Old 06-18-2009, 03:21 PM   #5
4th Axis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Thumb

Nothing like beach riding...it's kinda like getting to the top of the mountain first and seeing fresh powder.

4th Axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:52 PM   #6
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 6,948
Amazing pics, how big are those tanks?
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:09 AM   #7
Bowes OP
Oman Dirty Biker

TouringDave, the tanks we have fitted are Acerbis 26L Tanks. They are perfect for this type of riding.....not to many places to tank up on this route

Back to the story...We conrinue on and on in the wonderful unspoilt dunes. Magnificent riding, temperture now rising quickly as it apporaches 10:00hrs.

We visit Very Big Huge Dune and make our way to the historic resting place of one of Oman's ancinet relics.

On the way to the location we pop out on to a gravel road. Marcel is someways behind. Grumps goes over the windrow, all I see are two feet making a perfect summersault over the bars. I frantically race for my camera to record the event......but Grumps was up on his feet dusting himself down. Life is just not fair sometimes. Off we go, on, on

Grumps discovers his long lost love and immediatley dismounts to greet her....

I rush over to meet Landy for the first time

A true wonder of the world, she has lay here for many years untouched. The picture below when she was four years younger....

Left alone to be consumed by the desert.

Grumpy in 2005 when he conquered her for the first time, and yes readers those are pink trousers which still see the light of day, unfortunatley................ today

Marcel with Landy

Grumps riding over what's left of Landy

After bidding our farewells to Landy, we'll probably need a metal detector to find her next time We head off back down toward the beach for making our way back, we'd done 120K's over some big big dunes so quite a ride to get back an out of the what would be hideous temperatures by midday. The ride back was the absolute "dogs bollocks" so, beautiful scenery and pictures to follow shortly......

Bowes screwed with this post 06-19-2009 at 06:35 AM