Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2009, 06:40 PM   #1
LewisNClark OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 974
Lewis and Clark Book available.

"Lewis and Clark Trail, Tracks"

Lewis and Clark GPS Coordinates of the entire trail.

This DVD publication is the only publication that has ever completely documented the travels and GPS coordinates of the Lewis and Clark Expedition. The DVD provides a 230 page detail description of the day-by-day travels of the Lewis and Clark. Each day of their travels is listed with the “Date”, “Events of the day”, “Longitude and Latitude”, “State”, “Who camped at the site”, and “Comments about the events of the day”.

From the list of over 1,000 GPS coordinates, click any campsite and select the view option and the items connect to Google Map or Bling to display a satellite, road map, or 3-Dimentional view of the actual site. The GPS coordinates are of the entire Lewis and Clark Trail but can be selected and downloaded by date, state or various other options. The GPS coordinates can be downloaded to almost all GPS units.

Anyone with the desire to follow the Lewis and Clark Trail will find this tool invaluable. If you simply want to see the Trail, the “View” option will allow you to sit at your desk and view the satellite images of the roads, trails, mountains, and rivers of the most significant adventure in America’s history.

US Map of the Lewis and Clark Trail:

Street and Roads of the trail:

View of a list of campsites:

Lemhi Pass:

Lemhi Pass: The 3D view of the GPS coordinates provides a scenic aerial view of this amazing dirt road that traverses the Pass into Idaho.

Lewis’s first contact with the Shoshoi tribe: This actual site has been debated for 200 years but the GPS coordinates provide strong evidence of where the actual site is located on Lemhi Pass Road.

Museums along the Trail: The GPS coordinates include not only campsites but other significant sites, museums, rock formations, etc along the Trail.

Clark’s Overlook Rock: The GPS coordinates take you to the exact foot steps of this towering rock formation. The only site where Lewis and Clark became lost from each other.

Lolo Summit: Without doubt the most challenging portion of the Lewis and Clark travels was the Lolo Trail across the Bitterroot Mountains of Idaho.

Bear Oil and Root camp: History books discuss this campsite but finding it is a challenge. The Lolo Trail portion of the GPS coordinates take you off Forest Roads to the actual sites of their camps.

First Idaho campsite: After 32,000+ miles of traveling the trail the author found this site this past summer, definitely off the beaten path.

Piramid Rock Road: (Yep, misspelled Pyramid but the name remains) Many sites are simply geological formations mentioned in the Lewis and Clark Journals. Some of these sites would be very difficult to find without the GPS coordinates.

Fort Clatsop: Their final destination is an amazingly scenic site along the Columbia River to the Pacific.

Fort Clatsop: from GPS coordinates.

Clark’s gravesite in St Louis: - Many GPS coordinates simply compliment the history of one’s travels of the trail. If you are not
traveling the trail the GPS coordinates will still allow you to magnify the site and do an aerial view (with GoogleMap or Bling) of the gravesite or any campsite.

This new book, "The Lewis and Clark Trail, Tracks" combines modern day longitude and latitude GPS coordinates of the entire westward as well as the Return (eastward) travels. Each day is documented not only with the GPS coordinates but with the activities of the day, and the turn-by-turn driving directions that accompany the coordinates.

The Lewis and Clark Trail, Tracks (CD version) $39.00
(same book as above but it is a PDF file format to reduce the cost of printing and shipping costs; the PDF file also has a big plus in the standard searching and printing capability of any PDF file.)

The Lewis and Clark Trail, Tracks (printed book version) $59.00
(printed book version is identical to the CD version, simply additional cost of printing and binder.) The printed book also includes a CD with the GPS gpx files of the Trail.

This is the first and only such document of the Lewis and Clark Trail and it was recently presented at the Smithsonian Natural History - Western History Trail Museum.

Also Available:
The Lewis and Clark Trail, Today $24.95
A DVD containing a 200 page description of the Trail, Travels, profiles of each member and 1,200 digital photographs of the Lewis and Clark Trail camps and various sites. You will definitely benefit most from reviewing this DVD before purchasing "The Lewis and Clark Trail, Tracks (Book)

Preview of "The Lewis and Clark Trail, Today" -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQoae-LCkio

Order from:
LewisNClarkTrail@GMail.com

LewisNClarkTrail@Gmail.com

You can also PM or Email comments, all suggestions appreciated.

All proceeds from book sales are used to continue the documentation of the Lewis & Clark trail and history.

LewisNClark screwed with this post 01-17-2010 at 08:33 AM
LewisNClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:38 PM   #2
LewisNClark OP
Studly Adventurer

Update of book offering

Over 1,000 GPS coordinates have been added to EasyGPS file format that now allow downloading waypoints to practically any GPS unit.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:04 PM   #3
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,460
Wow, what an incredible amount of work. Great project!

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:07 AM   #4
LewisNClark OP
Studly Adventurer

If you only knew...

Well over 2 years of putting the information together...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
Wow, what an incredible amount of work. Great project!
Old 12-26-2009, 09:00 PM   #5
Lambo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
Very Interesting

Has anyone purchased this?Any feed back from a user?

Support Mental Health or I'll Kill you.

Ironically, Chuck Norris’ hidden talent is invisibility.
Lambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:25 PM   #6
LewisNClark OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for your interest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambo
Has anyone purchased this?Any feed back from a user?
Only 20 to 25 people on AdvRider have purchased the CD.

The picture CD of 1,200 photo's of the Lewis and Clark Trail is by far the most popular item. ($24.95)

If you live in the WA area, you live in one of the best ride areas of the L&C Trail...from Astoria, OR over to Missoula, Montana is my favorite part of the trail, especially the Lolo Motoring Hwy. My favorite find in your area is a cave where Sgt Ordway and Colter caught 3 infant bear cubs and spent the day playing with them...there is a marker there now....but way off the beaten path and real hard to find.

The CD and Book are sold exclusively at Lewis and Clark better bookstores & museums (like at Cape Disappointment in WA) but sold here on AdvRider at a discounted price.

In my case when I left Astoria (following the return journey) my GPS lead me to each campsite all the way back over the Lolo Trail. GPS coordinates came directly from an interpretation of William Clark's measurements of mileage from campsite to campsite and his writing down of latitude as they traveled. I'd estimate that 95% of the GPS coordinates are very accurate and the other 5% are my interpretation of their description of their campsites in the "Lewis and Clark Journals" that was published in 1809.

The GPS coordinates took three of us 2 1/2 years to complete and is the only such publication. You do have to download EasyGPS (free) to export the GPS file to a GPS unit...it's recommended to download gps coordinates by state since there are over 1,000 gps coordinates.

There are currently over 2,000 of the CD/books in circulation and at a least dozen AdvRiders, professional photographers, and RV's that are using my GPS file to travel parts or all of the Lewis & Clark Trail.

LewisNClark

LewisNClarkTrail@gmail.com

LewisNClark screwed with this post 03-08-2010 at 10:43 AM
Old 12-30-2009, 07:56 PM   #7
geno_rocket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
From the Start of the Trail...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisNClark
Well over 2 years of putting the information together...
Living in the Gateway City, at the start of the expedition, and having read the Journals, Undaunted Courage, and spent untold hours exploring in the footsteps of Lewis and Clark, I am jumping for joy! This is a fantastic electronic addition to my collection of information.

PM sent....

The long range plan to retrace the route just got better. Many, many thanks!

geno_rocket screwed with this post 12-30-2009 at 08:03 PM
geno_rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:08 PM   #8
LewisNClark OP
Studly Adventurer

Should look familiar...and I bet U where this is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geno_rocket
Living in the Gateway City, at the start of the expedition, and having read the Journals, Undaunted Courage, and spent untold hours exploring in the footsteps of Lewis and Clark, I am jumping for joy! This is a fantastic electronic addition to my collection of information.

PM sent....

The long range plan to retrace the route just got better. Many, many thanks!
Old 07-02-2011, 08:05 AM   #9
Deerhead
Be Safe Out There!

Oddometer: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisNClark View Post
Over 1,000 GPS coordinates have been added to EasyGPS file format that now allow downloading waypoints to practically any GPS unit.
Hi, Where is the link to these data?
Ride Safe,
Robert
Old 07-02-2011, 08:24 AM   #10
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhead View Post
Ride Safe,
Robert

LewisNClarkTrail@GMail.com
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:11 PM   #11
LewisNClark OP
Studly Adventurer

Lewis and Clark Trail information

Link below will give you a preview of many of the pictures. Around 3,500 pictures and more added monthly.

Refer to the link for information about ordering the GPS coordinates.

http://lewisandclark.smugmug.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhead View Post
Ride Safe,
Robert
Old 07-19-2011, 03:33 PM   #12
gwb1340
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Lewis and Clark Trail information

I will be riding west from Minneapolis in September through ND, MT, ID, WA & OR on my 1999 Concours. How much of the trail is accessible with a street bike? I grew up riding dirt bikes and on gravel roads so gravel doesn't bother me, but I'm not taking it on any single track!
gwb1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:31 PM   #13
LewisNClark OP
Studly Adventurer

Route of the Lewis and Clark Trail suggestions.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwb1340 View Post
I will be riding west from Minneapolis in September through ND, MT, ID, WA & OR on my 1999 Concours. How much of the trail is accessible with a street bike? I grew up riding dirt bikes and on gravel roads so gravel doesn't bother me, but I'm not taking it on any single track!
Hard to explain but based on your planned states you could get close to much of the trail and museums but from paved roads you would have to do quite a bit of hiking to get down to actual campsites and the “Trail”. From ND to northern Montana you are following the Missouri River and to really see the Trail there are some “dirt roads”. Many of the museums (Lewis and Clark Intrepretive Centers) are on pavement, 10 -> 20 miles from the actual L & C Trail. Campsites are normally 10 to 12 miles apart and each site is probably 1 to ˝ mile from paved roads.

Best part of the trail for me is from Fort Benton, MT, Great Falls, Whitehall, Dillon, Lemhi Pass, North Fork of the Salmon (Idaho), and especially from Weippi, Id all the way to Astoria, and Camp Disapointment (Columbia River) in Washington. The above route may look like 2,500 miles one way but would be more like 6,000 (1 way) by the time you criss-cross all the back roads to get to the Missouri & Columbia Rivers, etc. There must be 100 L & Clark Museums, centers, etc on the trail to keep you entertained.

Good luck….my first route was mostly on asphalt until I converted to a DS bike.

This link shows roughly 200 of the 573 campsite, many are accessible with a car.

http://lewisandclark.smugmug.com/