User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2009, 08:11 PM   #1
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,710
Rocky Mountain Highfive

I tried to stay home....really, I did. I clocked nearly one month of domestic duty after the amazing "Dragon Hunt" on my WRR, before wandering again.

But this wasn't my fault.... KLR Monty (from Texas) started bugging me to go ride Colorado. And then the wife starts dropping some encouraging hints like: "you should go....and the farther, the better". Sounded like a Plan!

So I called up my favorite Wingman, The Krabill (of course). He missed out on the famous Dragon Hunt. Surely he won't pass up a Colorado trip....its just a weekend jaunt. I dial the phone & he explains that he's going to some sissy class reunion... MIA again! I can't believe it. Two Strikes in a row on The Krabill. Maybe he's getting too soft to ride with me anymore.

I notify Monty I'm coming and to meet me in San Isabel post haste! The word is spread, and Garand steps up to the plate...quick to steal the base from Krabill.

And just like that....in mere days, we're on the trail in San Isabel, CO. Here's the cast of characters for this next round in Highfive's Excellent Adventures.

Monty had the most time of the bunch, and rode his green Mobile Mansion up from Tejas. I threw my WRR in the truck and raced all night just to beat him there. Garand beat us all! Now, for everyone who wants to know whether or not a little 'ol WR250R will tote a big guy with loaded with gear through the Rocky Mountains, then get your ears on ( ). This RR is going to shed some light.....once & for all.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project

HighFive screwed with this post 07-27-2009 at 08:20 PM
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:31 PM   #2
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

We depart from Lake Isabel up the mountain on a nice looking two track called the Cisneros Trail. Well, at least it looked nice....on the U.S. Forest Service MVUM maps that I downloaded. So much for planning! I mean it was ok for me, but a little rough on my Trail-mates....especially the Exxon Valdez towing half of Cabelas on board.

Don't get me wrong, Monty is a real PRO at this Dualsport stuff. He is like a miracle man. Pulls anything you'd ever need out of those bags on his KLR. (edit: well almost anything....please remember this point for later) I mean, he's got a freakin GRILL hiding in there. And a cooler! The dude cooks steaks with cold beer out in the bush! And he can ride it nearly anywhere. He's got one of those KLR's that's "never been washed....never gonna be." With something like 50,000 miles on it! Here he comes up the Cisneros Trail:

Take a good look at this happy smile.....

Its about to change! And its my fault. Well, I guess he's partly to blame. After all, he's the one who begged me to go. Let that be a lesson to all: sometimes you really do get what you wish for! Just saying...

The nice cushy Two=Track kind of got a little rougher (ok....a lot). It quickly grew skinnier and rougher as we climbed the mountain to get over the pass.

At more than one point, we had to stop and take a hike to survey the hazards and plan our line.

Evening was fast approaching, and neither Monty or I had much sleep during the last 24 hours. But fortunately, no one went down. Garand & I did fine picking our way through the rocks on our WRR's while Monty just plowed through like a battering ram.

Happy to be on top!

We made it out of the Dark Dungeon of a forest.....only to discover we still had plenty of daylight remaining. I'm mean seriously, it got so thick and dark down in those woods, we actually NEEDED our headlights!

HF
Athena Big Bore Project

HighFive screwed with this post 07-27-2009 at 09:59 PM
Old 07-27-2009, 08:43 PM   #3
riceless950
Let's Ride!

Oddometer: 3,231
riceless950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:03 PM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,848
Beautiful rocky mountain riding..

Old 07-27-2009, 09:07 PM   #5
WilderRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,778
Old 07-27-2009, 09:29 PM   #6
Silver
Dirtnewb

Oddometer: 2,265
Sweet tits! Subscribed!
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:32 PM   #7
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

"Finally".....Monty says...."we're back in business!"

So, I keep us on the straight and narrow from here on....really I do. Ok, sort of.

I promise them both to "hang in there with me....just over the next hill, you'll see!" (edit: its always just one more hill...eh?) Well, they did. And it was soooooo WORTH IT.

Now that I was "off the hook", it was time to find a secret secluded campsite for our first night. Aaahhh....the spoils of victory....as we watch our first mountain sunset.

See that dip in the far mountain range in front of us (just right of Garand)? That's Medano Pass. We're heading for that hill tomorrow.....any 'ol way we can find to get there. "Just keep your eye on the target", I tell them. We're gonna climb over that 11,000+ ft. pass and find the Great Sand Dunes on the other side! But for now, let's make camp.

I just love it when I hook up with hardcore Riders that really know how to camp!

Three more days to go. This time, I CAN actually wait....if you know what I mean.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project

HighFive screwed with this post 07-27-2009 at 09:45 PM
Old 07-28-2009, 04:01 AM   #8
Chris7521
livin on the rock

Oddometer: 31
Looks sweet so far. Thanks for posting. That single track is my kind of riding Look forward to seeing more
Old 07-28-2009, 06:38 AM   #9
antipode
Wanderer

Oddometer: 554
Great as usual Highfive.
Looking forward to the rest of the report.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:25 AM   #10
jeff_in_rc
A DRZ kind of guy

Oddometer: 616
Talking

I'm in! Looks good so far.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:26 PM   #11
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

After I come back down to earth (literally and figuratively), we head back to camp and pack up to leave. Well....at least two of us. Monty just couldn't do it. And nearly had me talked into staying an another day. You can see from the look on their faces, no one was anxious to leave the Rock Corral.

We head out and Monty follows us down the mountain into the Cotapaxi General Store. I notice he's digging thru the T-bone steaks in the refrigerated section. Now he's REALLY putting the hurt on me.....cause I know he's gonna pull out his grill and charcoal! That's right....that's what I said. The dude even has charcoal stored onboard the Mobile Mansion!

Even so, we bid farewell. Garand & I have a long slab ride before us, to get back to San Isabel. Only, we've been cornered in by some outlaws outside. Now you may be familiar with Hogs, but have you ever seen a Gorilla?

Two of these jungle mates had nearly blocked us off.....as if they thought that would stop us. Suffice to say, we received some nasty looks when the congestion came to a head. I did the right thing, of course. I twisted the throttle and left my Heavyweight Champion Powerlifter to settle the score. I guess he made quick work of them, cause he caught up with me in short order.

We had a beautiful ride from Texas Creek to Silver Cliff, then onward toward San Isabel. But I just had to detour down an empty canyon road to find a nice lunch spot along a creek. It was Mountain House time! And I was hungry after all the morning excitement.

Dreading the end....and stalling as much as possible, we reluctantly get back on the road. Within a few miles, I get the feeling we're not through yet. And dart off down some dirt road for yet another detour. But this one, won't be so short lived. We begin climbing a big mountain on a well groomed road, at a fast pace....8,000'....9,000'....10,000'. Garand says, "Man, this detour is looking good!"

And that's when it happens......I get a "feeling". A big one! We press on a bit further and then, I hit the brakes with a gasp. Dismount and run up the hill to take this photo:

Its really special, because I recognize that big mountain range in the distance. Do you? See that low dip in the middle? That's "Medano Pass" which we rode over on Day 2. The Great Sand Dunes are on the other side. We get to stand here and retrace 50% of our travels across 4 days with our finger. It was a very cool moment.....something you just had to be there to appreciate.

So, we keep going....up up up. The trail has become a fabulous rocky, knarly two track.....10,500....11,000....we keep climbing and finally crest the top. But this mountain is very different than all the others I've been on this high. Everything is very lush and green. We pass over the top and discover the absolute prettiest spot I've ever laid my eyes on in all the Rocky Mountains.

As good as these photos are, they don't do this scene justice....no way...no how. We stay a while, inhaling as much of this scene as possible. I can tell Garand is Saving File As...within the available Free Space in his memory. For me, its more like Disk Space Full....Delete Files?....Yes...All Files, Save New. That's because I haven't received a new memory board in...well, forever. And this scene nearly blows the circuits on what little remains!

This will be "Camp Highfive" on my next visit to San Isabel. Who's willing to join me right here, one year from now? It'll be cold at night. This is pretty high!

We finally move on....knowing we've found a true Gem. On the way down the other side, we find two track and single track trails going everywhere. And its just PERFECT riding for most any dualsport bike. Best of all, there's NO sand for Monty! At least not any that I saw. It might take a few days to explore this particular mountain range thoroughly. Aaah...Shucks!

About half way down the hill, we are riding a two track that kind of turns into a road. Suddenly, there is this Cadillac coming up trail in the opposite direction honky & waving at us. A man & woman are looking for some certain lodge or something....and wondering if maybe they took a wrong turn. It was really more like... But we didn't have the heart to let it out, because this guy looked like he was about to have a mental breakdown. Garand moves on (cause he can't contain his laughter any longer), while I stay to try and help them sort it out. Finally suggesting they find a place to turn around (up ahead a good bit) and go back from where they came.

I move on down the hill toward the highway, and pass Garand whose in a complete panic! Like he's seen a ghost or nearly lost his life. I'll leave it to him share that story....or not.

We pass the famously weird "Bishop's Castle" and its busy as ever, so no stopping for a looksee. Then slide into home plate, at San Isabel. I sneak a few extra miles onto R and roll up to my truck like this:

I just thought it was a neat way to end the Ride....since I was so close to it.

Now its time to go home....though it never feels quite right to leave. There was a pretty sunset left behind which was calling my name to come back:

Shortly after this photo (my last one of the trip), I had a revelation. You see, a Revelation is something you always knew, just never realized. And, it hit me like a bolt of lightening: The "Journey" Is My Home!

HF
Athena Big Bore Project

HighFive screwed with this post 08-04-2009 at 10:40 PM
Old 08-04-2009, 11:19 PM   #12
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive
Shortly after this photo (my last one of the trip), I had a revelation. You see, a Revelation is something you always knew, just never realized. And, it hit me like a bolt of lightening: The "Journey" Is My Home!
HF
I can see it now, HighFive Round-The-World on an R
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:34 PM   #13
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,900
Great RR! The revelation is a perfect ending. I had a similar experience traveling with my dad when I was younger and only just recently remembered it. God willing, I'll be out there in 2 weeks, leaving Thursday directly from my last summer class with a solid 5500 miles planned.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:22 AM   #14
mnormand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
HF, excellent job on writing this up, truly enjoyable riding/reading for all DS, but especially for R2 owners Kudo's to all three of you for taking us along.

I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking about hauling a bike up there after reading this.

May I ask if someone recorded all this on GPS? Can't quite remember, too many threads to keep up with!
mnormand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:40 AM   #15
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,793
Yet another excellent report
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote