User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2009, 11:08 PM   #1
idea man OP
Plate Spinner

Oddometer: 2,513
Great Ride North - Alaska/Yukon 2009

Set to begin Aug 15, 2009 (holy crap that's this Saturday! )
We're going to Alaska. It's the usual Alaska pilgrimage, but for us it's The Great Ride North.
Dyvking just retired and needed something to do.
I just have this obsession about Alaska, the Alcan, and the Yukon.
Alaska has held me in its grips for the last 15 years or so starting with an ill-timed drive up there one March/April with a co-worker (who knew there would be this much snow in April?) up to and including the Great Ride North. Dyvking has never been to Canada. This will be my sixth trip up there one way or another, but my first on a motorcycle.
This ride almost happened two years ago, but my sons caught wind of it and demanded to be taken along.

Now two years later, having mortgaged all my personal favors to Idea Wife

and having horded sufficient vacation time (and personal favor) at work, the Great Ride North is set for take off August 15 (2009).

The riders:
Riding a 2005 R1200GS, a retired School Teacher, originally from Gilroy, California, now living on the Central Coast:
Dyvking.

On a 2006 R1150GS Adv SE, a County Employee, father of 4, raised in Eureka, CA, and currently living also on the Central Coast of California,
idea man.

The Bikes:
1200 GS sporting stock side cases, a Rev Pack excursion pack, Mtn. Sun Tank Panniers, and wearing a set of new Tourances,

1150 GS Adv, wearing System Cases HB Crash Bars and Tank Bars, Corbin Seat, a Rev Pack excursion pack, and sporting Anakee II tires, and a satellite dish.

Both bikes have approximately 24,000 miles and had their appropriate check-ups (PSA’s were both clean) at Bits and Pieces in San Luis Obispo (Thanks Dan!), just in time for the GRN.

Gadgets:
Spotty: Dyvking has a spot goin’ on and if you’d like to see “Where Are They Now” this is the link:
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0DEyuImz4sT3eqzAU5V0x6hkAOgIKio xM

Personal Locator Beacon: idea man through the largesse of ericb67 (Thanks E!) will be toting a PLB for when the really bad stuff happens. Hopefully it will go unused throughout.

GPS: Dyvking
Analog Directional Indicators (Maps): idea man

HP Mini: idea man
iPhone: Dyvking

Blog: Dyvking
RR: idea man

More to come. Feet up Saturday. First light.
[*]'06 1150 GSA Thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375824[*]'06 1150 GSA SE Registry: http://www.ericsyn.com/2006bmwr1150gsadv.html[*]Great Ride North, Alaska/Yukon '09 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494846[/LIST]

idea man screwed with this post 08-10-2009 at 11:21 PM
idea man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:39 AM   #2
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer: 3,265
I'm not at all sure we're takin' enough crap with us.

I've done lots of long-distance m/c touring, but never been to Alaska. IdeaMan has been to Alaska.. but not done it on a bike. It is either a perfect match, or a disaster waiting to happen. I'm betting the farm on the former :-)

The really tough part is going involve dealing with the pain this RR is likely to engender from the Asylum

hmmm.. it is getting kinda close to Saturday. Guess I'd better start getting my act together. I wonder if I can actually afford this ride?
2014 Fitness Goal: hike 1200 miles. Only 694 more to go.

dyvking screwed with this post 08-11-2009 at 03:06 AM
dyvking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:38 AM   #3
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,725
I'm in..

I love these Alaska trips. I will get there someday. (after I retire..)

IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:03 AM   #4
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,874
You guys ride safe and don't forget to have fun. i'll be following the ride.
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:17 AM   #5
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,318

Old 08-11-2009, 05:48 AM   #6
spirre
Freedom!

Oddometer: 41
Will be watching, love the alaska rr's :)
That is how my first accident happened. I was driving a pickup. 16 years old. I was cruising the strip in Reno and was staring at this absolute hottie. I tapped the car in front of me, at about 5 mph. The guy got out and was about to kick my ass. When he saw the woman I was staring at, he gave me high five, said everything was cool and drove off."

Current garage:
`08 Ktm 990 adventure
`00 Ducati 996
spirre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:24 AM   #7
idea man OP
Plate Spinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakota
You guys ride safe and don't forget to have fun. i'll be following the ride.
I really enjoyed your trip as well. Well done. If we can get something like that here, we'll have done something.

Routes and plans and stuff later today.
[*]'06 1150 GSA Thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375824[*]'06 1150 GSA SE Registry: http://www.ericsyn.com/2006bmwr1150gsadv.html[*]Great Ride North, Alaska/Yukon '09 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494846[/LIST]
Old 08-11-2009, 08:27 AM   #8
ricohman
Marinoni man

Oddometer: 1,981
Are you going all the way to Prudhoe Bay?
ricohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:03 AM   #9
theevolone
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Travellling

I wondered why you'ld been so silent...Is the IS working or are you on the run at last?

Keep us posted.

And if you learn of an ST BMW w luggage, let me know. Could be interested.

BTW: Yours truly is now a MSF certified rider coach, or crotch, or crouch or whatever you call it. Seven days of training. Ears bleeding. Knuckles dragging.

Be careful up there. Enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea man
I really enjoyed your trip as well. Well done. If we can get something like that here, we'll have done something.

Routes and plans and stuff later today.
theevolone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:01 AM   #10
RockyNH
Older Than Dirt!

Oddometer: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyvking
I'm not at all sure we're takin' enough crap with us.

I've done lots of long-distance m/c touring, but never been to Alaska. IdeaMan has been to Alaska.. but not done it on a bike. It is either a perfect match, or a disaster waiting to happen. I'm betting the farm on the former :-)

The really tough part is going involve dealing with the pain this RR is likely to engender from the Asylum

hmmm.. it is getting kinda close to Saturday. Guess I'd better start getting my act together. I wonder if I can actually afford this ride?
Just catching this thread, albeit a little late... I am subscribing though and will catch up on reading it all this morning... a dream trip of mine!

02 1800 Gold Wing - "Wing"
05 Ural Gear Up "Herbie"
07 F650GS - "Grasshopper" - Totaled July 2010
05 DR 650 - (?????) Purchased August 2010

Trip Report 2009 Trans Lab Highway

Trip Report 2010 James Bay & North Road Quebec
RockyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:03 AM   #11
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,418
So, no Deadhorse? Looked like the weather was awesome, at least to start moving north!

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:21 PM   #12
sector
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,869
Atlin Lake

It looks like you rode by Atlin Lake, BC. It is supposed to be one of the most scenic lakes around. I regret I had to miss it last summer. They were working on the road and it was a greasy slimy mess, so I cancelled that plan and rode on into Skagway. Skagway was a cool place. I'm looking forward to your pics!

More side trips to do:

If I recall, your plan is to ride down the Cassiar. Good Plan! Don't miss Telegraph Creek and Don't miss Steward and Hyder, and especially don't miss the Salmon Glacier which is about 7 miles past Hyder! If you camp out around there, the campground in Stewart is nicer than the one in Hyder.

Great job guys! I don't see how you're maintaining a RR while doing your trip, but it does make it a lot of fun from our end to read and keep up!

sector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:17 PM   #13
idea man OP
Plate Spinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sector
It looks like you rode by Atlin Lake, BC. It is supposed to be one of the most scenic lakes around. I regret I had to miss it last summer. They were working on the road and it was a greasy slimy mess, so I cancelled that plan and rode on into Skagway. Skagway was a cool place. I'm looking forward to your pics!

More side trips to do:

If I recall, your plan is to ride down the Cassiar. Good Plan! Don't miss Telegraph Creek and Don't miss Steward and Hyder, and especially don't miss the Salmon Glacier which is about 7 miles past Hyder! If you camp out around there, the campground in Stewart is nicer than the one in Hyder.
Great input. Yes, down the Cassiar. Telegraph Creek is probably not going to happen. It will someday though.
The Salmon Glacier is amazing

That will be day after tomorrow.
We'll see if Kildala2000 is around too.
It was torrential in today Skagway. Look at fog and you've seen my pictures. Atlin was on the docket but got scrapped in favor of less mud and more laundry. Apparently there are the remanants of some typhoon blowing in up there. But the waterfalls are in FULL swing. (I'm spoiling my own report.) Hyder tomorrow. Who knows after that. Maybe Gold Beach...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sector
Great job guys! I don't see how you're maintaining a RR while doing your trip, but it does make it a lot of fun from our end to read and keep up!
Yeah, well I'm not fdoing a very good job of it. But more tonight before the beverages kick in. It is my mission.
Thanks for the support.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:42 PM   #14
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer: 3,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by idea man
Set to begin Aug 15, 2009 (holy crap that's this Saturday! )
Now two years later, having mortgaged all my personal favors to Idea Wife
If youse guys ever have the opportunity to hook up with a gal like IdeaWife..
ehhhh... go ahead and do that.
2014 Fitness Goal: hike 1200 miles. Only 694 more to go.
dyvking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:29 PM   #15
IdeaWife
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Awww, you are sooo sweet Walt! Take good care of my hubby, I really want him back in one piece!! And...have a GREAT trip!
IdeaWife is offline   Reply With Quote