User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2009, 03:15 AM   #1
sauce25 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
1200GS Exhaust - Opinioins please

I did a search and did not get much for threads on aftermarket exhausts for the GS.

My question is which one do you have and do you like it? I like the Akra and Remus which seem to be the most popular.

Also have any of you had to remap the Fuel Injection (add fuel) when adding the slip-on. Did you use a Power Commander? I have owned several FI and carb bikes and they all needed to be rejetted or remapped when even just a slip on was added. Without remapping it backfired on decel a lot and just ran lean. The BMW dealer told me that the bike will compensate for the slip-on. Because of past experiences I just don't believe him. None of the FI bikes I have owned have ever been able to compensate for that much more fuel to make the popping on deceleration go away which is a text book sign of a lean condition. Thanks in advanced for you help.

sauce
sauce25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:27 AM   #2
Das Boot
down periscope

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by sauce25
I did a search and did not get much for threads on aftermarket exhausts for the GS.

My question is which one do you have and do you like it? I like the Akra and Remus which seem to be the most popular.

'Both Akra and Remus are approved by BMW, Both have have an offiicial BMW Part number!'

Also have any of you had to remap the Fuel Injection (add fuel) when adding the slip-on. Did you use a Power Commander? I have owned several FI and carb bikes and they all needed to be rejetted or remapped when even just a slip on was added. Without remapping it backfired on decel a lot and just ran lean. The BMW dealer told me that the bike will compensate for the slip-on. Because of past experiences I just don't believe him. None of the FI bikes I have owned have ever been able to compensate for that much more fuel to make the popping on deceleration go away which is a text book sign of a lean condition. Thanks in advanced for you help.

'The any slip on itself is just a weight savings and subjectively a better sound. No increase in performance gains, without chaing out the entire system. The BMW Remus and Akra slip on's do not need any type of remapping.'

sauce
Best of luck
Das Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:46 AM   #3
BobMCP
Limey Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
You must have misspelled exhaust if you didn't get much info here with your search.
I have a Staintune/Remus Y-Pipe setup and like the result, you will not see much HP gain on the GS, but the improved throttle response and sound made it a worth while mod for me, but I am sure others may disagree.
I do have some decel pop and I am considering a Power Commander and Dyno Tune at some point, it does run quite well as is but I have had other bikes PC/Dyno Tuned to remove the slight imperfections in the FI Mapping and think this also is worth doing.

Custom Machined R1200GS Parts
http://www.mcpparts.com
BobMCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:34 AM   #4
Throttlerocker!
Giddy up go

Oddometer: 132
My exhaust mods

I went with the Keihan headers and Staintune endcan. Both work well together, they were $539 (can) from ca-cycleworks.com and $490 for the headers with a 10 year warranty with the crossover pipe and O2 ports (original diameter too) from keihan.co.uk delivered. I also bought the larger intake snorkel (wunderlich item-Nippy Normans or Santa Cruz) and a hi flow air filter from BMW of Atlanta. Oh yeah and a Dobeck fuelbox from customdynamics.com for $249 delivered. Everything together did the complete job. No surging and smooth rideability with a nice improvement down low (under 4200 rpm) and above 4200 well lets just say It woke the sleeping beast up nicely.
You could try just the header and the fuelbox to start, then as money allows......
The bike sounds nice (not to loud under 4200) and sweet in the upper rrrr's!!!!!

Throttlerocker! screwed with this post 08-13-2009 at 07:39 AM
Throttlerocker! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:08 AM   #5
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
I have the Remus on my 12GS and it does save substantial weight, but does virtually nothing for the performance (which I expected) or the sound (which is dissappointing). The Akra on my F8 does nothing for performance either, but I do love the sound. Nothing beats the sound of the Akra IMO except perhaps the Termignoni's on a Ducati.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:34 AM   #6
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,316
You can save a few pounds, but you are not going to get much more in the way of HP unless you toss huge money at it.

Even stock they have a lean pop on closed throttle deceleration. It is only going to get more pronunced with a more open pipe.

They sound like crop dusters to start with? You want that to be louder?

Stock is cock, just ride the dang thing.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:11 AM   #7
LTCOliverNorth
Peeping Tom

Oddometer: 791
I picked up a used Staintune from an inmate here for the sole purpose of losing some weight. The can's build quality is great! The can is 4" to 6" longer than stock which does not pose an issue with my TT panniers; if you have tight clearances it's something to consider. It does pop on decel, but it popped on decel just as much with my stock can - only it's louder now :)
LTCOliverNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:59 PM   #8
sauce25 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMCP
You must have misspelled exhaust if you didn't get much info here with your search.
I have a Staintune/Remus Y-Pipe setup and like the result, you will not see much HP gain on the GS, but the improved throttle response and sound made it a worth while mod for me, but I am sure others may disagree.
I do have some decel pop and I am considering a Power Commander and Dyno Tune at some point, it does run quite well as is but I have had other bikes PC/Dyno Tuned to remove the slight imperfections in the FI Mapping and think this also is worth doing.
I just tried it again and nothing specific to my question. Try it now…none that come up have exhaust in the title. This thread comes up though!

I think you will benefit from the Power Comander.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:04 PM   #9
sauce25 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the reply's. I do want a louder pipe as well. You all agree that the AKRA is louder? And sounds pretty good? After reading you reply's it just confirms my thoughts. Like a few said above it is already backfiring Stock, how is it going to get better by adding more air and no fuel!!!
Old 08-13-2009, 07:19 PM   #10
(sp?)
flaming ahole ;)

Oddometer: 5,352
Here are the dyno run numbers for my R1200GS w/ StainTune slip-on. no mapping changes done, or required (see lambda value)

'05 BMW R1200GS
(sp?) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:47 PM   #11
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
OK Help Me...Where Are Stock Values?

Quote:
Originally Posted by (sp?)
Here are the dyno run numbers for my R1200GS w/ StainTune slip-on. no mapping changes done, or required (see lambda value)

Where are stock values to compare against? And can you explain the abbreviations [I see torque and Hp]? Again..just me ..but I have only seen these based on RPM not mph.. Thanks!
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:01 AM   #12
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by sauce25
Thanks for the reply's. I do want a louder pipe as well. You all agree that the AKRA is louder? And sounds pretty good? After reading you reply's it just confirms my thoughts. Like a few said above it is already backfiring Stock, how is it going to get better by adding more air and no fuel!!!

You do know that the engine configuration and not the "pipe" is what makes the bikes sound the way they do. Right?

Most people want their bike to typically sound like one of three engine configurations.

a 45 degree V twin with a single crankpin.

A 90 degree V twin.

An inline four.

People tend to make up for the fact that they do not have the "right" engine layout for the optimum sound they are looking for by making their bike louder.

I'm sorry, I do not mean to insult you if you know all of this, but I am really surprised by how many people do not.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:47 PM   #13
(sp?)
flaming ahole ;)

Oddometer: 5,352
I wasn't looking for more horsepower (directly). I put the exhaust on it so I could hear the bike. I like to watch the road when I ride and hearing the exhaust allows me to shift the bike better. I didn't want an excessively loud bike and have been happy with StainTune exhausts on previous BMWs. It works as expected and I like it.

I didn't notice any substantial improvement in HP or Torque. The 5000 rpm dip is there with the stock system also. I liken it to a turbo - get it up above 5K and it takes off. As an extra benefit, the StainTune is much lighter than the stock system.
'05 BMW R1200GS
(sp?) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:47 AM   #14
sauce25 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT
You do know that the engine configuration and not the "pipe" is what makes the bikes sound the way they do. Right?

Most people want their bike to typically sound like one of three engine configurations.

a 45 degree V twin with a single crankpin.

A 90 degree V twin.

An inline four.

People tend to make up for the fact that they do not have the "right" engine layout for the optimum sound they are looking for by making their bike louder.

I'm sorry, I do not mean to insult you if you know all of this, but I am really surprised by how many people do not.

No offense taken. I am aware of that. I just like a loud pipes or louder than stock anyway. I like to hear every rev the bike makes. I enjoy the exhaust tune. My question was related to the different exhaust sounds for this bike. One suggested that the Akra had a better sound than others. I was just looking for opinions from that. I want to change the pipe more for sound than performance. However bikes in general run better/cooler when they are opened up. Stock these bikes run lean as it is.