User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2009, 11:19 PM   #1
Howard70 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Mapsource: Hide Routes, Tracks, Waypoints on Map?

I suspect this is simple and apologize if it has been addressed before (I searched some but couldn't find it).

How do I turn off the display of routes, tracks, and/or waypoints on the displayed map in Garmin Mapsource?

If I have a tracks, waypoints and routes within the area currently displayed on the map, they all show and I can't figure out how to turn off the display of tracks while leaving routes visible for example. Sometimes the maps gets pretty cluttered and I may only need routes displayed.

To clarify - I'm talking about the display map in Mapsource, not the display on a GPS unit.

Thanks,

Howard Snell
Howard70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:29 AM   #2
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard70
If I have a tracks, waypoints and routes within the area currently displayed on the map, they all show and I can't figure out how to turn off the display of tracks while leaving routes visible for example. Sometimes the maps gets pretty cluttered and I may only need routes displayed.
You can right click on tracks and routes and set the color to transparent. And you can set small icons for waypoints.

You can also use multiple files for routes, etc. so you don't have so many in one file.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:56 AM   #3
Howard70 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hello 9Dave:

Thanks for the suggestions - setting the color to transparent may be the way to go.

I understand about the files and that would work if I could have multiple files open at once, but I can't seem to do that. I may be trying to get functionality that doesn't exist from Mapsource that I'm used to in my other mapping & GIS programs! I typically use Delorme XMap, a couple of ESRI products (Arcview, etc), AllTopov7, etc. In all of those you can choose what to display on the map without actually removing items from the workspace.

Thanks again,

Howard
Old 08-29-2009, 01:20 PM   #4
Howard70 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Found Method for Waypoints

Advrider Colleagues:

I just found a means of "turning off" the display of waypoints:

1. Set up a waypoint category that you won't use for any waypoints. You could call it "No Display".

2. Choose the waypoint tab and in the "Show Waypoints In Category" box, select that category (in this example that would be "No Display". Since there are no waypoints in that category, no waypoints will show on the map (nor on the list under the waypoint tab).

3. To return to displaying your waypoints choose "All Categories" in the Show Waypoints In Category" box. They'll all reappear.

Combining this with the transparent suggestion from 9Dave works, but I'd still like a simpler means for tracks & routes than setting them to transparent.

Howard
Old 08-29-2009, 05:33 PM   #5
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard70
I understand about the files and that would work if I could have multiple files open at once, but I can't seem to do that.
Huh? Just open as many Mapsource windows/files at the same time as you want. This is really easy, how are you trying to do it?
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:20 PM   #6
Howard70 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Tbirdsp:

I probably didn't explain what I'm after very well. Multiple Mapsource windows with different files aren't of any use to me. I'm looking for multiple files open in the same window, or - better yet, the ability to have a single file open, yet choose which tracks or routes I want to display at a particular time.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Howard
Old 08-29-2009, 10:16 PM   #7
MotoJim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Howard,

Open two copies of MapSource.

One copy can hold your multiple routes and tracks.

In the other copy you can open up single routes/track files and just copy them to you first copy of MapSource with copy/paste => right click on your single route and track files and select copy. Then go over to your multiple window, right click and select Paste.

You end up with one file containing multiple routes/tracks.

Good luck,

Jim
MotoJim is online now   Reply With Quote