User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2009, 07:16 PM   #1
markbvt OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,643
Waning of a northern summer: the Trans-Lab and beyond

Or maybe I should have just called this thread "yet another Trans-Lab ride report." There've certainly been quite a few of them lately, and they've all been great... so I may as well throw my own onto the pile. As it unfolds, whenever possible.

I'm starting this thread a few days early for one basic reason: the next couple nights I'm going to be madly getting the rest of my shit together. I suppose it's lucky that I didn't start a thread a long time ago as these plans started to come together (instead I just littered other people's Trans-Lab threads with my posts). Because this trip has been a long time coming.

The seed was planted probably two years ago by my friend Henning, who spoke of this long-ass dirt road that went through the middle of nowhere some 700 miles to the Labrador coast. I started thinking about it more seriously last summer as I started reading other people's Trans-Lab ride reports. Also, I had such a great time on my two Canadian trips last summer (linked in my sig below) that the idea of a longer, more remote Canadian trip appealed to me.

Planning for this trip began in earnest about nine months ago. Henning still wanted to do it, and now I did too. At some point I mentioned it to my friend James, a Brit who doesn't ride but upon moving to Vermont promptly let his redneck flag fly, bought a Jeep, lifted it, took great joy in shooting guns since he wasn't allowed to at home, etc. The idea of a long, remote road trip was as appealing to James as it was to Henning and me, and the Jeep would be a good vehicle for it. Never mind the convenience of being able to put most of our luggage in the Jeep instead of on our bikes.

A short time later, I invited my friend/ADV inmate Questor along on the trip. And he in turn invited his girlfriend, MotoAdventureGal.

Fast forward to July, with trip prep now thoroughly underway.

Questor and MotoAdventureGal rode the TAT this summer, and somewhere along the way someone told them about the Continental Divide Trail. They made the eminently sensible decision that as long as they were going to be out west anyway, they should seize the opportunity to ride the CDT. I would have done the same thing. So anyway, our group of 5 was reduced back to 3.

A week or two later, Henning received word from his boss that his vacation request had been denied. He was pissed, but there was nothing he could do about it.

So it was down to just James and me. But in short order Dan (vtbeemer) caught wind of the trip and signed on with us... and soon thereafter, Keith (keithmckenney) did the same.

And so our group of five that got depleted to two was now up to four again, and so it remains now with three days to go before we leave.

If the trip is as eventful as the planning was, it ought to be quite an adventure.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:28 PM   #2
markbvt OP
Beastly Adventurer

Now then... Enough lengthy history of a trip that hasn't even kicked off yet!

Fresh tires are on the bike...

Skidplate is installed...

Lasercustoms' nifty case guard is in place...

Clarke 4.7-gallon tank and Renazco seat are installed...

Rear rack is installed...

...which necessitates moving the tool bag...

Heated grips will keep my hands comfy in the cool Labrador temps, and the switch tucked out of the way very nicely...

Accessory power socket fit perfectly on the other side...

And here's the XRL, ready and willing.

The next couple evenings I'll be busily packing. James and Keith are meeting me at my house at 6am on Friday, and we're meeting Dan in Derby, VT, just shy of the Canadian border, at about 9.

I can't wait to get this show on the road so I can finally stop driving myself (and presumably James, Dan, and Keith) crazy with all my planning and obsessing. I can't help it, I'm full-blooded German, and the planning/logistics gene kicks into overdrive whenever the opportunity presents itself. Thank god there are no small countries nearby to invade.

--mark

markbvt screwed with this post 09-01-2009 at 07:34 PM
Old 09-02-2009, 06:22 AM   #3
XS500RUS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Looking forward to reading this!
XS500RUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:37 AM   #4
markbvt OP
Beastly Adventurer

For some time now I've been playing around with Garmin's Road Trip software to work out a potential route for this trip. Here's what I ended up with.

That's not to say that we have to stick to it, but I wanted to inform myself and get a feel for where we might want to go and how much time it might take. Also, since we've got the Jeep coming with us, we don't have the luxury of being able to squeeze a few bikes into whatever space is available on a ferry, so we've had to make reservations for the major ferries. Unfortunately this limits our flexibility a bit, but such is life. Small price to pay, in my opinion -- I'm glad to have James along on this trip, first because he's my friend, and second because having a support vehicle for the bikes is going to be fantastically convenient.

Also, this map is Mark-centric as it begins and ends at my house in Burlington. Dan lives in Quechee, VT, and Keith in Rockville, MD. (Keith's trip actually begins today as he sets off to Connecticut to visit family, then tomorrow he'll be heading up to Vermont.)

I guess I'll talk a little about preparation, in case anyone cares. I debated for quite a while whether to ride my XR650L on this trip or my V-Strom 650. I decided that the conditions on the Trans-Lab were enough of an unknown quantity that the XRL makes more sense. It's an easy bike to ride on dirt/gravel roads, even very loose ones. The Strom is much more of a handful, not being as well-suspended, not to mention a good 150lbs heavier. And I want to be able to enjoy the scenery on the Trans-Lab, not spend all 700 miles of dirt focusing solely on the road ahead. The Strom would be more fun once we get back to pavement in Newfoundland and Nova Scotia, but the XRL is no slouch in the twisties either.

Dan, Keith, and I were all considering bringing spare tires on the trip (since we have the luxury of being able to put them in the Jeep), especially after reading Sakurama's RR in which he had to install nine plugs in his rear tire in a 150-mile stretch. But I think we've come to the conclusion that bringing a few pairs of spare tubes should be sufficient.

I'm bringing a small assortment of spare parts for the XRL, plus a good selection of tools should roadside repairs be necessary to any of the bikes or even the Jeep.

More later...

--mark

Old 09-02-2009, 07:48 AM   #5
matts1050
Tiger Rider

Oddometer: 293
Hey Mark, good luck. Looking foward to your posting. Bring dust masks as the other group who are riding the Trans Lab now say it's pretty dusty on the gravel roads!
matts1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:55 AM   #6
selkins
No hay banda!

Oddometer: 1,481
Always happy to read another Trans-Lab report - it keeps the memories of my own TLH ride earlier this summer all the more fresh. Have a great ride!

Mid-America -- Ozarks (Darkrider) -- Lake Superior Circle Tour -- NW US -- Labrador -- Big Bend (Darkrider) -- Yukon/Dempster Hwy -- WTX/NNM/SCO
selkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:38 AM   #7
MotoAdventureGal
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 993
Labrador Envy

Even though Questor and I are in God's country here at Mesa Verde (CO) we're envious of your trip...and wishing you the very best and sorry we invited ourselves, then uninvited ourselves...

Happy trails! (Don't let the bugs carry you away!)

M&Q

My Year of Motorcycle Vagabonding Part B (Solo to South America)
MotoAdventureGal is offline   Reply With Quote