User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2009, 08:21 PM   #1
space OP
a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer: 2,563
Turning around on narrow trails

I'm interested in hearing your techniques. I'm not talking hopelessly narrow single track, of course. I'm thinking of two track that isn't much wider than your wheelbase.

If the side is banked and not too gnarly, I'll try to ride up it a bit, swivel the fork around, then roll back down. Repeat that a couple times.

If that isn't possible, then I typically get off and walk the bike through a three point turn. Duh. Doesn't exactly win me any style points, though.

I've seen people put a foot down, give the bike gas, and pivot the bike around where they've planted their foot. I've tried this and can't figure it out for the life of me. And yeah, I was in sand, so the wheels could slip a bit. But still, I couldn't quite get it.

(And then there was a time in a deep mud hole when I tossed my 1150 on its side and used the cylinder head as a pivot to get it around. Last resort, but it worked.)

So -- please share your tips and tricks!
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:41 PM   #2
Iwantabikesobad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,035
For super small bikes or rokons

There is a move called Rokon Twist or Flip maybe Pivot. Whatever.
With these bikes the gearing will allowing for traction to climb straight up as they are 2 wheel drive. The idea is to plant both feet and gas hard while lifting the front wheel and leaning to one side. It will wheelie and spin at the same time. The other method is to climb a tree or rock to gain lift and then spin bike sideways.
Now onto my reality at 5'8 my 990 ADV with gel seat is still really hard to get turned around sometimes on double track. If I pull up the hill my feet wont touch the ground. I end up doing 4 point turns because 3 isnt enough for me to get all the way around. The foot plant and spin is something I dream of but haven't got figured out yet.
I have found having a slight downhill sloping road with a bank on the up hill really helps me as its gets the uphill side foot down.
I need to practice more.
09 KTM Adv. The Orange ones are faster!
Iwantabikesobad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:45 PM   #3
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantabikesobad
...If I pull up the hill my feet wont touch the ground.
Sometimes (SOMETIMES) the trailside mini-topography is such that if you ride up the bank MORE (with momentum, before having to put a foot down) you can get either the front wheel over and on top of the small bank, or get the whole bike up on a larger slope, such that you can now plant the inside foot ON the bank as you come to a stop.

Then lean the bike to the other side, put the other foot on the bank, and back it down.

Sometimes.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:26 AM   #4
Reprobate
Solo & Sidecar Rider

Oddometer: 6,179

I just pick up the bike and turn it around? What's the problem?
I write the Amsterdam Assassin Series (suspense fiction), if you want to know more or support me by buying my work, please check out my website Tao of Violence and blog Amsterdam Assassin Series for news and links to the ebooks.
Reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:51 AM   #5
whitham_wannabe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 858
If you don't like the power spin, you can always lock up the back and BMX skid it around most of the way before coming to a stop.

Travels With Bruce : More Travels With Bruce
whitham_wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:13 PM   #6
kirbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Did the dirt bike spinning around thing with a R1200GS Adv today, but the ground was muddy and I'm on Annakes. Wouldn't have been able to do it it was dry.....I would've torn my ACL-less left knee right off.

kirbike screwed with this post 10-12-2009 at 05:05 PM
kirbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:45 PM   #7
DirtyOldMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,855
I do the foot pivot thing with a dirt bike but no way with a 450+ lb v strom.
I will however, maybe goose it just a little, slip it sideways just a bit and eliminate one or two of the back and forth motions.
Yeah, I'll get off and bulldog it back and forwards to get turned around if I have to, mebbe lose a few style points but it's better than burying the big pig somewhere it doesn't belong.

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R
DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:59 PM   #8
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyOldMan
I do the foot pivot thing with a dirt bike but no way with a 450+ lb v strom.
I will however, maybe goose it just a little, slip it sideways just a bit and eliminate one or two of the back and forth motions.
Yeah, I'll get off and bulldog it back and forwards to get turned around if I have to, mebbe lose a few style points but it's better than burying the big pig somewhere it doesn't belong.
Got to agree there. If it's a DL it's pride swallowing time. Get off and inch the thing around.

It's much easier doing that than getting it stranded half way up a bank with your foot 2" shy of reaching the ground.

Pete
PeterW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:39 PM   #9
ADVJake
i like stuff

Oddometer: 4,328
I do the foot pivot on my 990 ADV.

Difference being, you dont use the weight on your leg entirely, but using the momentum of the bike.
Lean it over slightly, full lock handlebars, get the front wheel rolling enough so not all the weight is on your leg, and gas it around before it comes out too far and roll away...
sort of hard to explain.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:40 AM   #10
the Pheasant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
I guess there's a limit to the size of bike you can do it with, but I could turn my old XR600 by standing to the left of it with bent knees, grabbing the frame rail behind the seat on the opposite side, then lifting by straightening the knees and walking/humping the back end of the bike around 180 degrees.
I did this once when challenged by a couple of walkers having gone down the wrong track on the UK's South Downs. The woman looked mighty impressed, the man slightly unnerved...
the Pheasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:22 AM   #11
krellheat
Pepsi Challenged

Oddometer: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Pheasant
.... I did this once when challenged by a couple of walkers having gone down the wrong track on the UK's South Downs. The woman looked mighty impressed, the man slightly unnerved...
Elvis Pelvis!! She was impressed. Her husband was jealous obviously

I would have asked them to help me turn the bike around otherwise I am going through. But that is me.

Devil's advocate. Hell conscientious and informed and downright argumentative dissenter.
krellheat is offline   Reply With Quote