ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2004, 08:17 AM   #1
Ultrarider OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Platoro Colorado on a Harley Ultra???

Please don't be shocked that a Harley rider snuck in on your board! I need some advice on riding my Ultra Classic to a friend's RV park in Platoro Colorado. According to him, the final leg is on a Forest road that is pretty treacherous. I have been down many a dirt county road on my HOG and not the least bit intimitaded because I have both dirt experience and don't ride like an idiot. He does seem to embellish his stories so I wanted to know if anyone out there has actually been to that park of CO and can advise.

I'd love to surprise him by showing up the Labor Day weekend but if the road is really that bad, I don't want to risk damaging my Ultra. Appreciate your assistance.
Ultrarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 11:35 AM   #2
arroyoshark
Needing some space

Oddometer: 2,130
Been up to Platoro Res. several times, coming from both north and south. The approach from the south is fine. It's a gravel road and there is a little bit of climb below the dam.
arroyoshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 11:55 AM   #3
Ultrarider OP
n00b

Thanks, I appreciate your reply. I kinda figured if folks were hauling RV's up there, the roads could not be that bad. I have some new shoes put on before I go anyway so I should be fine. Thanks again!
Old 08-28-2004, 04:48 PM   #4
JimC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,039
Go for It

On our Continental Divide Ride last month we drove through Platoro as as I recall it was a good gravel road that ran along a river. If you keep your speed down to match the surface conditions I don't think you will have any trouble.

Jim in Sacramento
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 07:32 PM   #5
sstodvictory
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Just a general comment. When I ride Colorado its usually after Labor day and I've often found that forest roads with campsites on 'em have been beaten to dust by the traffic. They've had good bases, no hairy ruts, but the powder can be deep enough in places to cause a heavy front end to wash out. Watch for that; you can always paddle your way though.

Steve
sstodvictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 08:19 PM   #6
Ultrarider OP
n00b

Thanks Steve and others for the reply. I plan on heading out of Central TX early Friday morning which should get me there by dinner-time. Next year I hope to have saved enough to buy a used dual-sport and use his RV park as a base camp for exploring Colorado. As much fun as I have on my Ultra, reading on this forum has got me longing for my old high-school days where enduros where our only entertainment. Before 9/11, Ford Hood had some some of the best dirt riding there was. Any of ya'll remember the PE250? I went from a Yamaha DT250, that was my high-school transportation, to the PE and thought I had died and gone to dirt-riding heaven. I sat on a BMW F650 the other day and just laughed and giggled about the suspension and travel on that thing. Big changes in bikes since 1978!