Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2009, 01:48 PM   #1
job3-14 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
1 year, 2 KLRs, and a whole lot of open road...

This is a story about a young man who is tired of working for the man and has decided to do something with his life. My name is Will and I am about to embark on a motorcycle trip that will take me out to the east coast, down south to Florida, out west to California, up north to Alaska, and back home to Ontario, Canada. Initially this trip was to be shared with another, but plans seem to go out the window. Nothing new here, it's just that it was a bit of a shock when Amanda decided to bail out 2 months prior to departure. Oh well, what can you do? I love her to death and I forgive her, but I couldn't expect her to drop everything and partake on this EPIC ADVENTURE OF A LIFETIME! C'mon! What was she thinking? Oh well, what can you do? I just convinced myself all the benefits of riding solo and when the time came, just get on with it. So now's the time. On September 30th, 2009 I jumped on my steel steed (arguably a mule to some) and rode off in the sunset.

Better viewing of Ride Report at www.1year2klrs.blogspot.com

The time has come! One must follow a code,
I all alone must have wits to partake,
Of strength and honor, make cowardice erode,
And live like a Nomad, my life awakes,
When life is so short, don't take for granted,
Too long have I yearned the open road,
The wonderful things the Earth's implanted,
It's about to begin Son! Lock n' Load!
Do take your time, don't go unprepared,
Things will happen, it's inevitable, be scared,
For fear is your friend, it wakes all senses,
Keep it controlled or face consequences,
So what you waitin' for? Live free or die!
We're burning daylight! Saddle up! Let's ride!

job3-14 screwed with this post 04-25-2012 at 07:58 AM
job3-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:25 PM   #2
g r a n t
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
subscribed
Old 10-14-2009, 02:48 PM   #3
Hack

Oddometer: 3,805
Hey Will

If your still looking for places on the east coast im in delaware and your welcome to stop in. After all if your gonna see the states ya might as well see the first one. And im slightly confused is your friend still with you or what? I was following on the pitch a tent thread and she had shown up. Either way we will be living through you for a while so have a blast and stay safe.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:24 PM   #4
RockyNH
Older Than Dirt!

Oddometer: 1,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackhawk
If your still looking for places on the east coast im in delaware and your welcome to stop in. After all if your gonna see the states ya might as well see the first one. And im slightly confused is your friend still with you or what? I was following on the pitch a tent thread and she had shown up. Either way we will be living through you for a while so have a blast and stay safe.
Hackhawk,

She is still with him.. he is telling the story from the start and I suspect she was not going at the time of the start.. We will surely hear how she changed her plans in the future installments!!

I subscribed here too!

Trip Report 2009 Trans Lab Highway

Trip Report 2010 James Bay & North Road Quebec
RockyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:17 PM   #5
job3-14 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackhawk
I'm just a wee bit behind on my reports, but I'll catch up soon enough. Hey, maybe I'll see you in Delaware!
Old 10-14-2009, 10:37 PM   #6
ping
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Take some photos along your journey and tell us about it.
ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:22 AM   #7
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,623
hey dude if you make it to California, you might ass well make it to BAJA, I can show you some places.... just saying, the word is that Baja is a cool place for ridding, ADV approve !

BEst wishes

Damasovi
damasovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:56 AM   #8
Every Miles A Memory
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Great way to get over a chic! Ride Solo around the Country.

Post lots of pictures and update often
Every Miles A Memory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:48 AM   #9
rubRsidedown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Every Miles A Memory
Great way to get over a chic! Ride Solo around the Country.

Post lots of pictures and update often
+1
"We don't quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."
rubRsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:19 AM   #10
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,243
KLR's...mmmmm Good!
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:56 PM   #11
job3-14 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi
hey dude if you make it to California, you might ass well make it to BAJA, I can show you some places.... just saying, the word is that Baja is a cool place for ridding, ADV approve !

BEst wishes

Damasovi
When does it take place?
Old 10-17-2009, 03:15 PM   #12
job3-14 OP
Studly Adventurer

October 1st, 2009 pt. 2

October 1st, 2009 pt. 2

No point in waking up the steed. Border guard was right there to greet me. I walked the steed over to the gate feeling a wee bit apprehensive. Looking the way I do, I thought it’ll take some explaining to do before they let me in the country. Luckily enough the border guard has a cousin who owned a KLR and wished me well on my journey. Phew! I wasn’t in the mood to strip down naked and have my butthole probed. The guard also informed me that it had snowed in the Adirondacks the night before. Wonderful. So there I was, back on the steed as I entered the land of the free; American flag waving up high in the air. I could not help but to belt out “Born in the USA!” as I rode down the foreign pavement. Weather was still grim, but luckily the rain held off for the most part. Rode through Watertown and made my way in the Adirondacks. I had planned to camp out for the night there, but where exactly I had no clue. I figure it’ll come to me as I head deeper into the woods. By the time I had entered the state park my fingers were frozen I could hardly move them. The rain didn’t help much also. I pulled over to a rest area to heat up some lunch. I packed a Primus Gravity II multi-fuel stove and a basic 2-person chow kit. Works like a charm. As I waited for the soup to boil, I kept my fingers nice and toasty on the muffler. Body and soul recharged, I kept pushing onwards through the light rain. By 19:00 it started to get dark fast. I was just north of Saranac Lake and needed to set up camp fast. I pulled off onto an electrical post path that cut through into the woods. A bit off roading, but nothing the KLR couldn’t handle. I saw a truck parked by one of the posts and wondered if this was a good idea. I’d hate to set everything all up only to be told minutes later I had to high tail it. Should I or should I not? That was the question. All of a sudden out in the woods somebody started hollering at me. Uh oh. It turned out it was a hunter hunting for deer. He was kind enough to direct me to free camp sites not too far from here. Nice. It was pitch black by the time I got there and I didn’t bother with whether or not I was at an actual site. I just knew I was in the area. Pitched the Eureka Mountain Pass tent and packed my gear in. Watched a few episodes of Entourage from the ipod to wind down and called it a night.

Where I camped the morning after.

Living off the land.

No Thermarest at this point.

A cold sleepless night.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:20 PM   #13
job3-14 OP
Studly Adventurer

October 2nd, 2009

October 2nd

It was cold last night. I would wake up every hour because it was so cold. I had more layers in my pack, but I was too darn lazy to put them on once I was tucked away in my bag. Did I mention it was cold? I managed to survive the night and as soon as the skies began to lighten up, I was packed and ready to hit the road. Rode into Saranac Lake and stopped by at a grocery store to pick up some instant oatmeal for breakfast then rode around town to look for a library for internet access. 2 weeks before departure I started a thread here on ADV looking for tent space. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507203
With the limited funds and the duration of the trip, there was no way I could afford to stay in motels or even campgrounds for that matter. This was more like a cry for help and the response to the thread blew me away. What started out as simply shooting across to the east coast now became a pilgrimage to meet with all the people who have taken the time to respond to the thread. Of all the crap we hear on the news, it’s nice to know that there are still decent human beings on this earth. So there I was waiting for the library to open a half hour from now. Better make use of the time to cook up breakfast! Energy refilled, I walked into the library and made contact with my first ADVrider inmate—Canuman. I also got an email from Amanda telling me not to ride too far. She’s decided to come with me.

My first glimpse of the Adirondack mountains.

Another view.

Whiteface mountain somewhere in the background.

Cold is in the air.

Warmth, least expected, found near.

Someone's coming here!

job3-14 screwed with this post 10-18-2009 at 07:22 PM
Old 10-22-2009, 07:53 AM   #14
RockyNH
Older Than Dirt!

Oddometer: 1,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by job3-14
When does it take place?
Hey Will! Hope all is well.. say HI to Amanda...

Time to get the RR caught up some!!

Trip Report 2009 Trans Lab Highway

Trip Report 2010 James Bay & North Road Quebec
RockyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:54 AM   #15
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyNH
Hey Will! Hope all is well.. say HI to Amanda...

Time to get the RR caught up some!!
What he said!

Dr.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote