Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2009, 07:22 PM   #1
fire_strom OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
KTM 690 R gets Wired

For navigation and for heat.

Like I do with all bikes I wanted to be able to power a GPS, a vest and heated grips.

There's nothing earth shatteringly complicated about doing any of these things but I haven't seen much on the subject specifically relating to the 690's.

So to start with I ordered some stuff from Powerlet and Symtec heated grips from CalSportTouring.

I went with Symtec for the heaters for two reasons, one, the choice of switches and two, they have two circuits for high and low instead of some versions that use resistors to change from high to low (waste of power and pain to wire cleanly).

I went with the metal toggle because I've preferred it in the past. In this application, with this location I might have opted for the little plastic one. Once I get the little rubber boot I'll be happier with this one.

I had gone to the geek store (Radio Shack) and picked up a relay so I could avoid the inevitable dead battery from hot grips while parked scenario. Well once I got into the project I realized the nice engineers at KTM had given me ACC1 and ACC2 leads to work with under the headlight. One is always hot the other is switched with the ignition. I used the switched one and didn't bother using the relay. The ACC1&2 are both rated at 10A so my 3A grip heaters shouldn't tax them at all.

Here's a picture.
You can see the two red wires joined and connected to the brown wire in the center. They are the ground wires from the grips going to the ground from ACC2. The BLK/RED wire to the right of them is the hot (switched) going to the grip heater switch. I routed the wires along the path of the clutch hose.
Attached Images

fire_strom screwed with this post 10-18-2009 at 06:32 AM
fire_strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:32 PM   #2
fire_strom OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
I put the switch next to the ignition. It is mostly out of the way there and I think it will not interfere with the tank bag that usually goes there. There's a steering damper in my future and I am not sure if this location will work with the mounting of the tower but I'll update if it doesn't.

You can see the wires following the path of the clutch hose in the left of the picture.

Next up will be the GPS and Powerlet (BMW) socket wiring.
Attached Images

fire_strom screwed with this post 10-16-2009 at 07:38 PM
fire_strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:26 PM   #3
.chris
690 Advenduro

Oddometer: 91
Nice job, I am about to do similar, but attaching a cigarette power adapter to my 690e.

Just picked up a mates volt meter so I at least have a chance getting it right.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:39 PM   #4
.chris
690 Advenduro

Had a play with the volt meter, and found this connector on the left side.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

It reports as being 12v, and is switched on the ingition,
Any idea what type of connector that is? Would be nice to buy a connector for that, and wire it up to the cigarette power thingey, I really do not want to splice any wires or touch the bike any more than nessessary.

Any advise/help appreciated.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:18 PM   #5
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 875
Hey Firestrom
Let me know when you get all that running at the same time and tell me if your stator keeps up. Thats exactly what I want to do. I have already removed the candle in the front and replaced it with a Baja 8" HID. The only other draw I have is the Garmin 60csx. I hope it will run the grips and the jacket too. Nice job BTW
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 05:17 PM   #6
Biped
NooB Again

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by .chris
Had a play with the volt meter, and found this connector on the left side.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

It reports as being 12v, and is switched on the ingition,
Any idea what type of connector that is? Would be nice to buy a connector for that, and wire it up to the cigarette power thingey, I really do not want to splice any wires or touch the bike any more than nessessary.

Any advise/help appreciated.
Looks like RIGHT side, connector to the solenoid valve used on the US bikes evap canister for emissions control. It is probably switched by the ECU so would not be on all the time while riding.
Biped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 05:34 PM   #7
.chris
690 Advenduro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biped
Looks like RIGHT side, connector to the solenoid valve used on the US bikes evap canister for emissions control. It is probably switched by the ECU so would not be on all the time while riding.
yeah sorry you are right, that is the right side.
That would make sense being for the evap conister, as that connector seems rather convenient.

I found the other 12v options up the front, so I guess I just run with that, seemed to be 4 of them, 2 of them were always on, the other 2 were switched. Just need the right connectors and away I go.
Guess I run with that. Off to jaycar (downunder budget version of radioshack) when the weather is not so horrid outside.
Shall document my setup once done, could be handy for other electrically challenged people who try similar.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:30 PM   #8
KTMtrailrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by fire_strom
For navigation and for heat.

Like I do with all bikes I wanted to be able to power a GPS, a vest and heated grips.

There's nothing earth shatteringly complicated about doing any of these things but I haven't seen much on the subject specifically relating to the 690's.

So to start with I ordered some stuff from Powerlet and Symtec heated grips from CalSportTouring.

I went with Symtec for the heaters for two reasons, one, the choice of switches and two, they have two circuits for high and low instead of some versions that use resistors to change from high to low (waste of power and pain to wire cleanly).

I went with the metal toggle because I've preferred it in the past. In this application, with this location I might have opted for the little plastic one. Once I get the little rubber boot I'll be happier with this one.

I had gone to the geek store (Radio Shack) and picked up a relay so I could avoid the inevitable dead battery from hot grips while parked scenario. Well once I got into the project I realized the nice engineers at KTM had given me ACC1 and ACC2 leads to work with under the headlight. One is always hot the other is switched with the ignition. I used the switched one and didn't bother using the relay. The ACC1&2 are both rated at 10A so my 3A grip heaters shouldn't tax them at all.

Here's a picture.
You can see the two red wires joined and connected to the brown wire in the center. They are the ground wires from the grips going to the ground from ACC2. The BLK/RED wire to the right of them is the hot (switched) going to the grip heater switch. I routed the wires along the path of the clutch hose.
Thanks for your efforts, that was a big help to me today!
KTMtrailrider is offline   Reply With Quote