User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2009, 06:23 PM   #1
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,710
9 Days, 3000 Miles, Searching for Dirt and Mountains in New Mexico and Texas

Hi yall, I just finished an awesome ride through Texas and New Mexico with my new adventure bike, a sexy BMW F800GS! I have been thinking about writing this report since I started the trip so I had all of you in the back of my mind while I was riding. This is my first true adventure report and it will be rather picture heavy!

Here is the map of my travels, recorded by my GPS. For some reason all the tracks only record 700 points on my Garmin 276C therefore the resolution is not that great when you travel many miles. (Let me know if someone has figured out how to do this easier) If anyone wants parts of these tracks or wants to know where the pictures were taken I still remember most of it.

I traveled most of the trip solo but I started out riding with a guy I met locally who wanted to do some cool trails out through NM, AZ, UT, and CO. He spent a lot of time on the route and did a good amount of research on the trip. As the trip progressed weather and natural instinct changed our plans as you will see.

Here are some stats from the trip:
Miles Traveled: 3062
Hours spent moving: 64
Bike Drops: 8-10
MREs eaten: 4
Longest Day: 604 miles, 10 hours moving, 12 total
Pictures taken: 514
Pictures to be used during this ride report: 173

Prequel:

Before the trip we went out and did a few drills at local off road sites. I was learning how to turn and ride through sand correctly. Byron knows his stuff; he has been racing for many years and gave me pointers on my technique. Sorry, no pictures, I was busy trying to survive!

I had a bunch of gear from previous camping trips with my SV650S but we streamlined my list and included a bunch more survival gear. My goal was to be completely self-sufficient and be able to handle any situation. I had all the tool necessary to disassemble the bike, tons of spare parts, enough food and water for 72 hours, and emergency medical and survival kits (Byron said I don’t need the survival kit but I took it anyway lol, it is small).

Day 1:

I sit at my cubicle frantically working on a few documents I had to complete before being gone for a week and a half. Finally I am done and I rush home to jump into my gear and head over to Byron’s house.

Packed and ready to go: I had done the 6k service myself before I left including a full nut and bolt check.

Since we left pretty late in the day we only made it to Abilene but it was a good start. I have all my pictures ready to go so I will try to post as much as I can today!
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:29 PM   #2
Thriller5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
sounds like fun I'll be following this post
Thriller5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:45 PM   #3
wvdeuce
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
I am here waiting for more of this RR and photos.

wvdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:50 PM   #4
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Day 2

DAY 2:

We start heading down the long and lonely highway through the plains of Texas towards Roswell, our destination for the day. I am thrilled at the effectiveness of my heater grips, this is the first time I really have gotten to use them. The miles come easy on the seat of the F800GS and I have time to enjoy the scenery. Both Byron and I have plans to get new rubber in Roswell before we hit dirt.

Here we stop for a minute to put on some warmer gear, most of western America is under a huge cold and low-pressure front bringing rain and snow prematurely.

I love being out there where no cell phone can reach you. Some of my friends think I am crazy to enjoy traveling solo for several days, weeks at a time with minimal human contact… I believe it is the perfect contrast to my hectic cube life back in DFW.

We get a pit stop, get some fuel, electrolytes, relieve some liquids, you know the usual.

Success!!! We are in Roswell at Champion Motorsports getting ready for the new tires we ordered to be shod. So far I have only had one model rear tire on my bike, the Metzler Karoo T, and I keep it that way. Great tire, awesome in the dirt and twisties but not really that great mileage. I experiment with a new front this time, the Metzler Karoo 2 instead of the Karoo T, result is positive and I enjoy the tire for the rest of the trip.

Champion Motorsports is a cool place, friendly people and nice environment. We spend a good couple hours there waiting for service and purchasing rain gear while watching the weather channel. I ride off happy with no problems until a few days later when I would strangle their service techs if I would be within reach, but that will come later…

Byron and I arrive at a local steak place to close the day. Honestly every time I am outside Texas for a steak I am disappointed lol, this place doesn’t change that. You get a good look at his rig, he was planning on riding his 990 but since that is in the shop he is on his 690 super enduro with an extra gas can so we get about the same range.

Byron isn’t feeling too good so while he crashes in the motel I walk to the bar. This crazy weather sure makes for awesome sunsets!

And I can’t resist a good Texas beer (Shiner) and some Red Label.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:12 PM   #5
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,025
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:24 PM   #6
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Day 3

DAY 3 (woot dirt!):

So our plan was to start out at around 7am and get an early start on the day to attack out aggressive schedule. I get outside and start packing only to discover we are in the middle of a cloud! Oh well, I can’t go back to sleep when there is riding to be had!!!

We decide to wait out the fog but eventually say fuck it and start out for some gas and dirt! Here is another shot of Byron’s rig. Note the neck brace on the seat, this guy means business!

In this shot Byron questions a guy with a muddy 4x4 about trail conditions in the area. Unfortunately he is from out of state and is in the same situation as us. His news about the conditions in Utah confirm our fears… rain and snow! I am too busy filling my camelbak with fresh water, I am carrying 11.5 liters of water on myself and the bike at the moment. (Plus water purification tablets but supposedly they taste like shit).

The fog stays with us for quite a while, soaking us while we ride. I am wearing a good bit of layers to fight the cold. I don’t really mind being cold but I am seriously trying to avoid getting sick (especially since Byron does not feel good).

This is our first taste of dirt, my mouth is watering, heart racing, this is exactly what I have been dreaming of for the past year! The obligatory pictures are in order, I would never leave you guys behind.

The fog produces a spectacular effect as we ride. I feel as though I am living a dream…

How would you like to live out here in the desert? This house is not too far from town but definitely far enough to feel as though you are in the middle of nowhere.

If you guys didn’t notice, in the middle of the above picture are some wild turkeys.

Few words can describe the feeling…

We run into the first gate. Byron looks confused, he had called the local sheriff department to inquire about these roads and they assured him it is open. We take a few detours (awesome roads, sorry no pics) and even come on another dead end into another person’s yard.

This was very surreal… the old man on the porch eyes us and we stare longingly at the gate on the far side of the yard where the gps tells us the road must go. The road completely disappears beyond the gate and there is no use asking the old man to let us through. Some quick casual conversation and we turn around after he confirms there is no road past the gate.

Here is a picture of the first real gate, sorry no pics of the surreal old man and fading road.

Don’t forget the dirty GS! This is what you get for following someone through the fog on a dirt road lol.

day 3 to be continued…