User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2002, 08:11 AM   #1
Hacksaw OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,159
Pissed Wipe out

Last Friday I headed out to visit with the folks at the farm. It's about an hour and a half ride. I decided to get down the road a piece before stopping to use an ATM and pick up a couple of things. As I'm going down the highway I notice Patches of water here and there. I've rode in so much rain the last couple of years that my feet have become webbed, "water is not a problem". I plan on stopping at a Star Stop on the other side of the next town. I take the appropriate exit and get on the feeder road. I'm coming up to the intersection where the Star Stop is located. A simple right and then a quick left and then I'm there. (Yea Right)! There is a huge wet patch at the intersection about a car and a half long and covered the whole lane.
I rode through it and began the right turn. The rear lost traction immediately and down I went. I came to a stop the bike was on it's right side facing the direction I had been coming from. The whole time I'm thinking this isn't right, this should not be happening. A couple of guys in a truck stop and ask if I'm ok. I say "yea I think so"! Then he tells me that that's hydraulic fluid on at the intersection. I say, "Yea I Found It"! I pick up the bike and ride and park it at the Star Stop. As I'm surveying the damage a guy walks up to me and asks If I'm alright. He tells me that The Waste Management Garbage truck in the parking lot had busted a hydraulic hose at the intersection and that he had almost jack knifed his trailer a little before I went down.
Moving right along, Waste Management is supposed to pay for fixing the bike. Time will tell how much of a hassle that's going to be...
Matthew 22:37-39
Jesus replied: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: "Love your neighbor as yourself."

http://hacksaw.smugmug.com/

Hacksaw screwed with this post 07-27-2002 at 09:46 AM
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 08:22 AM   #2
Hacksaw OP
Beastly Adventurer

I faxed all of the information a couple of days ago, waiting to hear back, sounds like they are going to cut me a check no problem, we will see...
Jesus replied: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: "Love your neighbor as yourself."

Old 07-27-2002, 09:01 AM   #3
Ostrich
Jaded and Happy

Oddometer: 8,731
Jeff,

Sorry to hear about the spill! That really sucks! I am glad you are okay and the bike is being fixed by WM! The most important part is that you could walk away! Hope that bike is better than new!

Just because it's a zoo out there doesn't mean you have to view it from a cage!

Don't be an impulse buyer... afterall you have time..
Ostrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 09:27 AM   #4
Hacksaw OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks Ostrich

I contacted the asphalt with my right hip and right fore arm. I was wearing a Darien Jacket and Pants with full pads. I was never sore (I'm pushing 42) and the only scratch I recevied was on my fore arm from the snap inside the sleeve of the jacket (very minor). I love those pads

Old 07-27-2002, 10:21 AM   #5
Hacksaw OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally posted by mogwai
Jeff,
Glad to hear you are OK. I have the same riding gear and Aerostich warns to wear long sleeved cotton for insulation from heated nylon. Did you or was it an issue?

I was unaware of that , but heat was not an issue. Thanks..

Old 07-27-2002, 11:03 AM   #6
Ostrich
Jaded and Happy

Oddometer: 8,731
Could you ride the bike away or did it have to get towed?

Quote:
I was wearing a Darien Jacket and Pants with full pads. I was never sore (I'm pushing 42) and the only scratch I recevied was on my fore arm from the snap inside the sleeve of the jacket (very minor). I love those pads
I am glad to hear that you wore the right gear! Way to go!

Just because it's a zoo out there doesn't mean you have to view it from a cage!

Don't be an impulse buyer... afterall you have time..
Ostrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 12:01 PM   #7
Hacksaw OP
Beastly Adventurer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ostrich
Could you ride the bike away or did it have to get towed?

Continued on the rest of trip with minor bike damage, $1150

Old 07-27-2002, 12:10 PM   #8
Hacksaw OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally posted by Razorbak

With or without crash bars?

Without

Old 07-27-2002, 12:47 PM   #9
Hacksaw OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally posted by Razorbak

Ouch! So you obviously buggered the right jug. Any other damage?

Scratches on right, system case, front and rear foot pegs, foot brake lever, front brake rotor, cylinder protector and valve cover. All minor cosmetic.

Old 07-27-2002, 12:56 PM   #10
Hacksaw OP
Beastly Adventurer

I luv my GS to death, but I always thought it was homely anyway.:):

Old 08-05-2002, 01:24 PM   #11
Santa
Focused on the Future

Oddometer: 1,400
Had a similar get off a while ago. 2 gallons of ATF on a right hander exiting the freeway, temps over 100Deg F. bout 30-35 mph. Down I went mostly on the right elbow. Bike slid soooofar. It was like slow motion as I spun a 360 and a half while trying to sit up and look for oncoming traffic.I watched the terrified soccer mom and her brood pressed against the glass watching my size 50 red stich just sliding by. The cordura nylon really held up well, just a small hole ground thru on the elbow.
Road was so slick that there was no frayed cloth on my ass or elsewhere.Just the elbow which was the point of initial contact Got the bike home OK but later I found I had a giant bruise covering my entire elbow/forearm.Fortunatly, it healed rapidly.
If not for that roadcrafter suit, I'm sure that I would have had big problems with that elbow.
Slip slidin away....
Santa
Santa is offline   Reply With Quote