User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2009, 12:27 PM   #1
Exile OP
The Mundane and The Magic

Oddometer: 197
DR650 Stator Rewire

It seems my DR needs some more wattage. Following the lead from Procycle I have rewired my stator.

Since I learn by example, and couldn't find a DR650 stator rewire with pictures, I decided to make one myself. Using my electrical/computer engineering know-how, I have, to my knowledge, successfully completed the transformation.

1. To begin remove the left side cover of the engine (i.e. stator cover). There is oil in it so have a bucket ready. There are 11 screws, one is longer than the rest, make sure to mark where it goes. Also, be careful not to damage the dowel pin. If you are careful not to damage the gasket (assuming it comes off with the cover) you can reuse. So don't damage it like I did! Also make a note of how the wires are ziptied to the stator.

2. Next, remove the piece that holds down the wires with two philips head screws and then the stator itself held in with 3 allen head screws. I also removed the wire holder off of the stator for ease of access.

3. Right now the stator is wye wound. We are going to rewire it so that it is delta wound.

4. Notice the yellow wires running along the wire loops. Those are the wires labeled A, B, and C that come out of the motor and go to the voltage regulator. Their end connections are all connected together at the wye connection lead, or based off of the wye diagram they are all connected in the "center."

5. Cut the wye connection, sever the wires and pull them apart. The whole thing is covered in a resin to prevent shorting so you'll need some needle nose pliers, but be careful not to damage the wires in anyway. Once cut you should have 3 different length wires. Then, lay the cut wires out alongside the yellow wires. Use a utility knife and gently cut open the the casing at the appropriate length. (cut as if you were whittling wood so as not to damage the wires underneath) It doesn't matter which wire is connected to which so long as the wye end of the coil isn't connected to its own yellow wire connection. To make sure you don't do this grab a voltmeter set to resistance and touch a yellow wire to each wye end. If nothing happens you're good. If the resistance jumps to some negative number you have the other end of the wire.

6. Connect a wye end to a yellow wire and solder. (I did this one at a time so that nothing got mixed up)

7. Next you'll need some epoxy. (I had some general purpose from wal-mart that I am hoping will do the job) Mix the epoxy and cover up the spliced connection to prevent any shorting.

8. Re-ziptie the wires back in place and put it all back together.

The Delta connection will produce 70% of the voltage output and 140% of the current output of a Y connection with the same windings. See Luke's post on Stators Demystified.

My Site
TAT 2010 RR!
DR650 Stator Rewire
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:13 PM   #2
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,622
Nice! So the point where all 3 phases in Y are connected is at the WYE area next to the source coil wires? Just pull them apart and solder them to the output leads eh? Voltage is plenty high in the Y formation, but does it flicker a bit at idle speeds?

Now did you get it all sealed/tidied up so nothing gets nicked whilst it's in operation? How does it work? How long will it last?

D.T. screwed with this post 11-22-2009 at 07:24 PM
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:13 PM   #3
Ron Seida
Adventman

Oddometer: 1,245
Excellent write-up Exile, thanx for the photo's and input. Let us know if you run into any problems. Do you have any numbers for us regarding output wattage?
D. Irwin...
Ron Seida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:25 PM   #4
thejosh
Chump

Oddometer: 454
slightly off topic but I need advice

What are the torque values for the 3 bolts that hold the Stator in and what are the torque values for the bolts that hold the Stator cover onto the block?

Also do you need to loctite the bolts? red or blue locitite?

My manual doesnt have this info and I am trying to swap my stator this week.

thanks!
2002 DR725! "Quasi-Moto"
thejosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:27 PM   #5
strongbad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
Nice. So I take it this mod works by providing a better impedance match to the heavier electrical load. If that's the case, then power output should be better at all rpms. No?
strongbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:51 AM   #6
Exile OP
The Mundane and The Magic

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
but does it flicker a bit at idle speeds?
I went on a very tough trail ride yesterday and had no problems whatsoever.

Quote:
Now did you get it all sealed/tidied up so nothing gets nicked whilst it's in operation? How does it work? How long will it last?
Everything is sealed and put back exactly the way it came out. If done correctly it should last indefinitely. Though I may worry about the epoxy, some don't hold up to the high temperature oil, so I'm told, same goes for the zip-ties.

Quote:
Do you have any numbers for us regarding output wattage?
For numbers, fellow inmate Luke has posted a write up on this called Stators Demystified. Or you can check ProCycle's link at the bottom.

Quote:
What are the torque values for the 3 bolts that hold the Stator in and what are the torque values for the bolts that hold the Stator cover onto the block?
I am not sure of the torque values, I tightened everything down to about 10 lbs. I did not use any loctite either.

Quote:
So I take it this mod works by providing a better impedance match to the heavier electrical load. If that's the case, then power output should be better at all rpms. No?
For this question I'll forward you to ProCycle. He explained it very well.

I have posted this on ThumperTalk as well so more can see it. Check it out here for answers to some other questions you may have or to ProCycle's original post.

My Site
TAT 2010 RR!
DR650 Stator Rewire

Exile screwed with this post 11-24-2009 at 10:08 AM
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:25 AM   #7
DirtyDR650
Mud Lover

Oddometer: 332
This is just what I was looking for to give me enough power to handle the dual headlight system I'm installing on my '08 DR650. Great write up, I think I can do this.
Thanks!

One question. Can the stock regulator handle this mod?
DirtyDR650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 03:40 PM   #8
Paddle007
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
A word of caution. Be careful and make sure your wires are under the retaining strap. The same strap that is under the ignition pickup. If not your wires will rub and eventually you will be calling Carl @ ProCycle and buying a new armature. Don't ask me how I know this
Paddle007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 03:47 PM   #9
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,113
Would there be any improvement or possible to use a /FH012AA- Shindengen Mosfet R/R on the DR650 ?

ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #10
yourdrunkdad
I just wanna ride!!

Oddometer: 240
How did your walmart apoxy hold up
Old 03-06-2014, 11:24 AM   #11
andy from MO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Stator Rewire

I'm looking for an update too!
How are these rewired stators working out?
andy from MO is offline   Reply With Quote