ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-28-2009, 10:08 AM   #1
FrankS OP
...please wait...

Oddometer: 415
Zumo touch screen and digitizer replacement

After my last ride (in the rain), the screen of my zumo550 developed some flaking, it seems the outer protective film came loose.
While this would have been a perfect excuse to upgrade to the 660, I wanted to see if this is something I can repair. Turns out I can…

I bought a new touch screen on ebay for $18, shipped from China. This is not the LCD screen itself but just the touch sensitive layer that goes on top of it. It can be replaced in about 10 minutes.

Screen problems

New touch screen

Using a TORX 7, remove the 8 screws at the back

Unsnap the top cover, no clips holding the shell together, once the screws are loose, the bottom flap is open and the top cover removed, they come apart

Open the latch for the LCD screen (left) and the touch screen (right), slide out the ribbon cables

Unscrew the screen assembly from the front cover, take it out

Remove the silver mounting frame

Now this is the most tricky part. The touch screen is glued to another frame which sits on top the LCD. Carefully pry it off the LCD screen. I used a cutter to bend the black frame a tiny bit outwards so it will unclick from the LCD screen. Be careful, you don’t want to cut into the LCD screen

Once separated, cut the old touch screen off the frame. It will most likely break but it’s the part we want to replace so who cares

Remove the protective film from the back of the new touch screen

Align it with the frame and stick it on, make sure the alignment is okay, you only get once chance.

My new screen is a bit smaller than the old one so I added some sealant to the right side

Put it all back together

Test it, then calibrate the screen (switch zumo on and hold power button until the calibration menu appears (about 60 seconds).

Enjoy

Looks like I pinched the gasket on the right side a little bit, I guess I take it apart one more time and make sure it seals tightly

Regards

Frank
FrankS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:07 AM   #2
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,375
Thanks for this! Great tutorial. Indexed.

The screens were easy to find with an eBay search. Same guys are selling both the LCD screen and the touch screen, as well as some other screens.

Dave

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:32 PM   #3
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 660
Zumo 550 crazy screen problems: $25 repair (w/ photos)

The Zumo 550 GPS seems to have a tendency to have their digitizer go haywire, crazy and bonkers after a few years.
Signs of this are that there seem to be all kinds of phantom screen presses when you don't touch the screen, or it does not react when you do touch the screen (probably because there is a constant phantom screen press occupying the digitizer).

Solution 1: Give Garmin $150 to send you a refurbished Zumo.
Solution 2: Spend $25 on a digitizer from eBay and do it yourself. How-to is shown below.

I bought a Zumo 550 digitizer on eBay for $17 plus shipping. They also sell screens for about $50, you do NOT need that.
I also had to buy a Torx allen wrench ($5 for a pack of four different sizes, including the one I needed) that would be long enough to reach the recessed screws on the back of the Zumo. The Torx inserts that you snap into a screwdriver-style handle are not long enough.
In total I spent about $25.

For safety you could remove the battery, which I did.
Then undo all the torx screws in the back of the Zumo and pop the plastic cap off the top.
After that open it carefully, because the front and back half remain joined by the plastic connection leads of the digitizer and the screen to the PC board.

There is a rubber gasket clamped between the front bezel and the digitizer, It is probably a bit stuck to the digitizer by now, but it is not glued. Carefully take it off and clean it, it is probably dirty.

Undo the 4 phillips head screws that hold the metal screen casing to the front bezel.
Pop the screen/digitizer combo out of its metal casing.
Carefully pull the narrow (1/8" wide) brown plastic contact lead out of its "socket". The wide lead (1" wide) is of the screen, leave that in.

The digitizer is glued to the screen along the perimeter. Cut it loose with a slim, sharp knife like a razor blade. Or a kitchen knife.

After cleaning the glue residue off of the screen with something like Goo Gone, you can put the new digitizer on the screen.

The digitizer comes with a glue line along the perimeter and a protective backer on it.
Center the digitizer on the screen, make sure the contact lead is in the bottom right corner, then have the glue make contact.
Press along the perimeter to firmly adhere the digitizer to the screen.

To put the contact lead back in its socket, flip the brown tab up, then slide the lead in the slot and lock the brown tab down again.

Turn the Zumo on and try it out, it should work fine and dandy now.

Now turn it off again, reassemble and go ride!
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:37 AM   #4
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,375
Merged into prior replacement thread

Dave

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:29 PM   #5
Squelch
Everyday People

Oddometer: 1,101
This is awesome. My Zumo just started going wonky, and I was about to pull the trigger on a 660. Now there's no need for that - why spend $600 when I can spend $30. Thanks for both the tutorials!
Squelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:58 AM   #6
davenoseyparker
Knees in The Breeze

Oddometer: 20
Zumo Digitizer replaced with your help

Guys, Without the thread I am sure I would have had a chisel and mallet to hand but follow the thread enabled me to replace the Digitizer screen.
Note, To be honest you need not take the Black frame off the LCD, using a craft Kife carefully around the edges of the screen is enough to release the digitizer from the LCD.
Also my 8 screws were of Alan type not Torx but at that size little matters.
All the same thanks for having a go in the first place.

Knees in the breeze
davenoseyparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 04:29 PM   #7
Squelch
Everyday People

Oddometer: 1,101
It worked for me - and my screws were a number 6 Torx, not 7. Thanks for the walkthroughs!
Squelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:44 PM   #8
Georgewk
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Leaking Zumo

Hi, after replacing the screen my Zumo leaks. Does anyone have a solution for this? Can I use silicone to seal the screen and case? Thanks, George
Georgewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:24 PM   #9
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgewk View Post
Hi, after replacing the screen my Zumo leaks. Does anyone have a solution for this? Can I use silicone to seal the screen and case? Thanks, George
Silicone is a last resort but is effective, use sparingly.

Q: Is the replacement screen EXACTLY the same size as the original?
If so, you may have the front seal twisted or out of its channel.
If the screen is undersized then you will probably need silicone to seal unless the screen is exactly centered which is difficult to do.

Note: If your Zumo leaked be sure to dry thoroughly (use a hairdryer on low heat for 3 or 4 hours) as the water creeps up the back of the main circuit board and the board will corrode over a couple days if voltage is present on the board. The unit will then be junk.

GS Addict screwed with this post 03-19-2011 at 05:44 PM
GS Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:30 PM   #10
OldSchool750
Old Rider

Oddometer: 102
The vendor on Ebay now has the correct size screen. This is the correct one.
There are others that sell them also.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LCD-Touch-Screen...item3f055e8905

Jim
OldSchool750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:22 PM   #11
PlayWithGravity
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Thanks guys. Found this thread and ordered a new digitizer, pronto. My 550 also took a crap 2-3 years into service. Can't wait to get my parts from Hong Chong and get back to Zu-min'.....
PlayWithGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:37 AM   #12
PlayWithGravity
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayWithGravity View Post
Thanks guys. Found this thread and ordered a new digitizer, pronto. My 550 also took a crap 2-3 years into service. Can't wait to get my parts from Hong Chong and get back to Zu-min'.....
The risk here is that you F up the procedures. Like maybe the ribbon cable doesn't connect a easily as youd expect and you end up breaking stuff. Then you're screwed because no Garmin won't warranty it, at all... And you get stuck with an oversized $700 kickstand puck. Ask me how I know.
PlayWithGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:31 PM   #13
Tesla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool750 View Post
The vendor on Ebay now has the correct size screen. This is the correct one.
There are others that sell them also.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LCD-Touch-Screen...item3f055e8905

Jim

They list the screen dimensions as 79mm x 64.5mm. I thought that the correct dimensions were 79.3mm x 64.77mm (3.125" x 2.550")as previously posted on this thread.Barry
Tesla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:51 AM   #14
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
They list the screen dimensions as 79mm x 64.5mm. I thought that the correct dimensions were 79.3mm x 64.77mm (3.125" x 2.550")as previously posted on this thread.Barry
That is so close the difference is negligible.
The wrong size would be 76 x 63
You are safe buying that one.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:14 PM   #15
Woody469
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Wow, I think I may just gotten very lucky! I got home and remembered that I had bought an extended warranty with my Zumo and it is still good till next year!! Woo hoo....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk