User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2009, 12:01 AM   #1
Steffo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
F800GS: Anyone done 17" front?

I've got a couple of friends who do loads and loads of track days every summer and now they have started pestering me about coming along on a few next year. As a 21" front wheel don't really give much option for tires I am thinking about converting to 17" front wheel, and also I don't have the cash for a pure trackbike however much I'd like to get one. It looks pretty awesome if you ask me.

Anyone done this? If so what are your thoughts?

Steffo screwed with this post 12-03-2009 at 09:44 AM
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:17 AM   #2
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
...I don't have the cash for a pure trackbike...

...what are your thoughts?
You're barking up the wrong tree. If you can't afford a trackbike, you can't afford to take your umpteen thousand dollar BMW onto the track. Its really as simple as that.

For the record, I commuted on (as in, no car) my "trackbike" for years. I know how it goes. You'll either pussy foot it around the track, and hence, will be a danger to yourself and others, or you'll ride it like you should, and may end up crashing it at some point. Not to mention the ergos of a dual sport are awful for an actual race track.

Also note that for what it would cost to get a 17" wheel and track tires, you'd probably be halfway (or more) to a track bike anyway. In the US, you can probably get a well set up ninja 250 for well under $2k, and you can find 600's out there (not that I'd recommend them as a track bike--too much power for a noob) for $3k (again, USD). Even if you don't get a set up track bike, just about any cheap bike is a better idea than your BMW.

Other than coming onto ADVrider and posting pictures of yourself pyloning around in the slow group on your expensive dual sport, there's really no point.
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:30 AM   #3
BigBoPeep
The Bad Stenographer

Oddometer: 99
I think the front wheel size is the least of your worries. In fact, if you put a 17" wheel on the front of that thing, it would change the chassis geometry dramatically and probably cause it to handle like a basketball.

I have a V-strom, and I know people take them to the track, but I can't see how it would be any fun. As bxr140 pointed out, it would probably be dangerous. Maybe if you could find an f800gs racing series?

btw, there's an sv650 in the FM right now for $2000. It's not in Sweden, but there are deals out there.

-
Old 12-03-2009, 02:10 PM   #4
whitham_wannabe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 890
I thought about this for a while with mine - a big DS is just going to be a big SuperMotard and we all know how much fun they are. My first experience of a 'motard was a Husky 620 my friend built. I rode it at a track day, and bearing in mind I was racing a full on SuperSport ZX6R and Superbike ZX7R at the time, had more fun on that thing than any other bike I rode that year.

Handling could be interesting, it would liven it a lot by steepening the head angle, and suspension is going to be crazy soft with grippy tyres, but you got big old bars to grab it by the neck and throw it around. You'll be surprised how many sports bikes you can embarrass with your elbows up and your foot out.

Travels With Bruce : More Travels With Bruce
whitham_wannabe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:34 PM   #5
Schtum
Free Genie

Oddometer: 1,932
One or two naysayers in here.... Should I tell you about riding around the outside of a GSXR1000 on a trackday on my R1200GS?

Like the whitham_wannabe above said, an F800GS on 17" wheels and sticky rubber would just be a giant supermoto and we know how much they piss off sports bike riders on track days. The 800 would also lean forever. I think it'd be a barrel of laughs.

AC Schnitzer displayed a SM'd F800GS at European Motorcycle Shows when the bike was first released.

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...-f-800-gs.html
Schtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:26 PM   #6
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
It's called an F800R. Save yourself a shitload of money by not modifying a great bike to a bike that already exists.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:30 AM   #7
macrae85
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schtum View Post
One or two naysayers in here.... Should I tell you about riding around the outside of a GSXR1000 on a trackday on my R1200GS?

Like the whitham_wannabe above said, an F800GS on 17" wheels and sticky rubber would just be a giant supermoto and we know how much they piss off sports bike riders on track days. The 800 would also lean forever. I think it'd be a barrel of laughs.

AC Schnitzer displayed a SM'd F800GS at European Motorcycle Shows when the bike was first released.

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...-f-800-gs.html
Now that's a BMW!
So many 'supermoto' haters on here,once you go 17",you'll hate 21" like me.It'll improve handling
on the road immensely,your hooligan factor goes up 10 fold!(try find the two French guys on supermotos
on Youtube.....mental!).
macrae85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 05:11 AM   #8
Steffo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140
Also note that for what it would cost to get a 17" wheel and track tires, you'd probably be halfway (or more) to a track bike anyway. In the US, you can probably get a well set up ninja 250 for well under $2k, and you can find 600's out there (not that I'd recommend them as a track bike--too much power for a noob) for $3k (again, USD). Even if you don't get a set up track bike, just about any cheap bike is a better idea than your BMW.
It was just an idea. Easy on the "noob" parts please. I am quite sure I can handle even a 1000cc without much difficulty on a track. Perhaps not fastest though. Thankyouverymuch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucko
Before you spend money on your bike, borrow one of your track buddies' bikes for a few track days and see if it's even something you want to do. You bought a GS...hopefully you'll be happier riding through the forest on it than around and around and around on pavement.
I have spent quite alot of time on smaller race tracks so there is really no need for that. I'd say around 150 hours in total or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
The F800GS is a big dirt bike. Get a F800R or some other road bike.
So you really think all the supermotos out there are just "dirt bikes"? Ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afmracer
Maybe OP just doesn't realize how expensive it will be when he crashes ...

A single lowside on a new GS > a cheap trackbike.
..or perhaps the OP has an insurance company that actually covers track days.

This was just an idea so no idea getting "upset" guys. :)

Steffo screwed with this post 12-05-2009 at 05:34 AM
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:55 AM   #9
Schtum
Free Genie

Oddometer: 1,932
Quote:
This was just an idea so no idea getting "upset" guys. :)
Well I'd like to see you do it and see the pics of you riding around the outside of sportsbikes on the really tight bits.

And if you ever want to come over to Scotland and do a trackday at Knockhill be sure to let me know.
Schtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:56 AM   #10
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
Quote:
So you really think all the supermotos out there are just "dirt bikes"? Ok.
The F800GS is not built as a supermoto bike, so how do you get your above statement from my statement "the F800GS is a big dirt bike"?

Of course supermoto bikes are not just "dirt bikes". I never said that. But my point was that the F800GS was designed to live as a big dirt bike, not a supermoto bike. For the amount of money you throw into a the F800GS to get it supermotarded, you might as well just buy an actual whole used separate supermoto bike:

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Pro...scid=14&id=417

17" Excel front wheel
new front brake rotors for Excel wheel
supermoto tires
revised front forks to accomodate the smaller 17" wheel

You're talking thousands. Not to mention the fact that it will screw with the ABS sensor and computer. Yay.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:22 AM   #11
Steffo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
17" Excel front wheel
new front brake rotors for Excel wheel
supermoto tires
revised front forks to accomodate the smaller 17" wheel

You're talking thousands. Not to mention the fact that it will screw with the ABS sensor and computer. Yay.
I know a place where I can get a complete 17" front wheel, to which the stock brake rotors fit, and brake caliper adaptor for 1000 Euros but I suppose you do have a point. I would have to make something about the front suspention as well. Damn it. Why can't it ever be cheap and easy?

Old 12-05-2009, 09:25 AM   #12
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
Quote:
I know a place where I can get a complete 17" front wheel, to which the stock brake rotors fit, and brake caliper adaptor for 1000 Euros but I suppose you do have a point. I would have to make something about the front suspention as well. Damn it. Why can't it ever be cheap and easy?

Shit, man. Now I feel bad! Didn't mean to burst your bubble. Just trying to be realistic for ya.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:38 AM   #13
CajunRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Wow... someone wants to modify their bike and people are getting upset??? What's this world coming to?!?!?!?!?!

Look... dude... bottom line... it's YOUR bike, so set it up the way YOU want it!!! Those who don't like it can suck a rotten egg cause it ain't THEIR bike!!!

Now... 21" to 17" is fairly drastic... you'll prob need to either extend the forks (EXPENSIVE) or lower the back (1/4 the price of extending the forks). Lowering the back can be done with a few new links. I'd go that route.

Now... I seen to remember (I may be wrong here) that the F800GS had an 18 inch rear wheel??? If it IS an 18 inch rear, I'd go with an 18 inch front also... it'd be a MEAN flat tracker!!!

My advice (worth as much as you've paid for it)... get some frame guards in case of a crash, and do a few track days with the 21" front. If you really enjoy it, change the front rim to the same size as the back rim, possibly with lowering links on the back to compensate.

Then get out there and enjoy YOUR bike!!!
CajunRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:08 AM   #14
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,038
Quote:
It was just an idea. Easy on the "noob" parts please. I am quite sure I can handle even a 1000cc without much difficulty on a track. Perhaps not fastest though. Thankyouverymuch.
First, that's not a great assumption on your part.

Second, it wasn't actually a insult, if it matters. Everybody is a noob at some point. My first crash was at my first trackday, in the slow group, on a 600...and was 100% the result of too much speed and too little skill. I eventually progressed up to A group pace, and even then I didn't want any more power than my [2001] CBR 600 had. 130 mph might not seem like much out on an open road, but on a track it is STUPID fast, thankyouverymuch.

Third, note that I'm a California trackday snob. I'm of the impression that if you can't lap in the A group, you shouldn't have a 1000cc bike on the track, period. Anything with more than 70-80hp or so is not a good idea for a track noob, IMHO.

Bottom line though, it comes back to finances. If you can't afford to buy an inexpensive trackbike, you simply can't afford to spend the better part of what a trackbike costs to modify your expensive road bike for the track.
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:29 PM   #15
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,706
Quote:
I've got a couple of friends who do loads and loads of track days every summer and now they have started pestering me about coming along on a few next year. As a 21" front wheel don't really give much option for tires I am thinking about converting to 17" front wheel, and also I don't have the cash for a pure trackbike however much I'd like to get one. It looks pretty awesome if you ask me.

Anyone done this? If so what are your thoughts?
Rent. I rented a well set up Ducati 900ss for $250.

Otherwise, some track day events are pretty mellow and you can just go out and do your best, have fun and don't worry about it.

It's fun regardless of what you are riding. Actually the V-Strom acquits itself surprisingly well.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote