ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2004, 04:47 PM   #1
TOzman OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Arizona Riding Questions

Thinking about retiring to Arizona.....where are the good riding places in relation to Phoenix (east, west, etc)? I'm thinking about retiring to the Scottsdale area, but if that puts me 180 out from the best places I'll reconsider.

Thanks,

Oz
TOzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 05:15 PM   #2
dezrat57
New River, Arizona

Oddometer: 163
Hello TOzman!!

Az. is a great retirement location,"north" scottsdale is a newer area w/ so called elbo room, also close by is Carfree,CaveCreek,Desert Hills and New River which offer the "Rural" lifestyle.

Riding is year'round. street or dirt,most of Az. is Public land.

in the summer you ride "up north" easy day rides w/ elevations in the Alpine region;in the winter,closer to home
the weather is starting to cool off,yesterday i rode out of CaveCreek and did Approx 110+ miles of dirt and saw only 2 cars,i tagged along w/ Bill the Duck &
AZklrgirl as they were heading up to CrownKing for the "Burning Liberal Festival"
best of
dave
dezrat57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 09:25 PM   #3
azkiwi
message in a bottle

Oddometer: 9,267
retire in the north

Scottsdale is hardly a retirement village any more. The way New River is adding community, the path north will be gridlocked before you get the LazyBoy broken in (rural isn't spoken there since Del Webb moved 20,000 people in). There are lots of better places either further north (Wickenburg, Prescott or Verde Valley) or south around Tucson. Retiring to PHX is like retiring to hell.

There is lots of good riding across the whole state - only the SW and NE corners are a bit bleak - and of course its four seasons riding though you'll probably want to stay below the rim country for winter (January through March). Thousands of miles of good forest roads in the Coconino for summer adventuring, and terrific blacktop besides all down the eastern border.

azkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 07:24 AM   #4
xplore
Huskateer

Oddometer: 67
Wicked Hell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by azkiwi
Retiring to PHX is like retiring to hell.
You obviously haven't been to Yuma
xplore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 12:31 PM   #5
TOzman OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Arizona Locations

Prescott is kinda where I'm looking thus far, but no location is totally off-limits. For some background, when I say retire I mean from the Army, but at only 45ish will still have to work. Am working on my MBA now, so need toput that degree to work somehow, so guess I can't get too far away from the action.

On the other hand, can't stand the hustle and bustle of huge cities...........

ho-hum, what to do......

Cost of living will drive the location as well, since I need to get AT LEAST one acre of land....no covenants, want to be able to park the RV on the property, and must be able to get at great rides with relative ease, i.e., don't want to have to fight city traffic for 30 minutes to get out to where the good stuff is.

Does such a place even exist anymore?

Oz
TOzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 12:40 PM   #6
eskimo
gunga-galunga

Oddometer: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOzman
Cost of living will drive the location as well, since I need to get AT LEAST one acre of land....no covenants, want to be able to park the RV on the property, and must be able to get at great rides with relative ease, i.e., don't want to have to fight city traffic for 30 minutes to get out to where the good stuff is.

Oz
Lots of sorta rural areas around Prescott still fit the bill...but realize the lack of restrictions would apply to the neighbors, too.
eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 08:05 PM   #7
FlagRS
Gone to the Dogs

Oddometer: 1,176

Yes, in Arizona I think it does! I moved her 25 years ago as an 18-year-old easterner. I had no idea how lucky I was. Prescott is a good idea, however it’s boomtown USA and my guess is that in 10 years it will be too much. Consider north of Tucson (Oro Valley, Catalina, Oracle) good access to both deserts and mountains. Tucson is a good mature medium sized city with a university, plus the best BMW dealer in the state is there (only three in AZ).

KB in Flagstaff

FlagRS screwed with this post 09-19-2004 at 08:13 PM
FlagRS is online now   Reply With Quote