User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2009, 09:26 AM   #1
rhys OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,661
Which airhead to buy(?)

I looked at a '75 750/6 this week.... turns out it had a salvage title and oxidized aluminum, $2,000 for a machine with a sexy Corbin and a solid sounding engine. I passed on it.

I graduated from high school and found my nose pressed up against the glass of a showroom with blue toaster tank Beemers on the floor. I hadn't yet purchased a bike, but I fell in love with the blue and the toaster tank. That summer I bought a Honda CB100 and taught myself how to ride...... over a dozen bikes and thousands of miles later (to include 60,000 on an Oilhead) I still long for an airhead Beemer.

It doesn't have to be blue, nor must I have a toaster tank, but I want an affordable airhead. What is the wisdom with regard to best year models for me to consider from????
rhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:55 AM   #2
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,345
Can o worms but I say '81-84 twin shock models. You get the 1981 improvements - Brembo brakes, lightened flywheel, Nikasil cylinders, electronic ignition and still have the classic airhead fenders, tank, and side covers.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:28 AM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,838
Let the airhead experts in Old's Cool give you their input.. moved it there.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:42 AM   #4
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin
Can o worms but I say '81-84 twin shock models. You get the 1981 improvements - Brembo brakes, lightened flywheel, Nikasil cylinders, electronic ignition and still have the classic airhead fenders, tank, and side covers.

I'll drink to that. Most affordable would be an R65. I had an R65LS (harder to find now) that I rode all over the country and loved it. R80 is a good choice, but would cost a little more. More torque, but not all that much faster, really.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:51 AM   #5
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,639
Being as this is Advrider, the obvious choice is a R80GS. Hard to find and kind of over valued tho....

I've always liked the R80ST also.

R90S

The only one I have experience with my R100GS. Lots written here about them. Its been good to me.

Airheads rock
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:01 AM   #6
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,419
I think the early '80s were the sweet spot. they have a lot of the improvements but before you ran into circlip issues or paralevers.

I've only owned an r80 but I've ridden many others and I have to say I like the 80 the best. Below that and you get a little less power, above that and you get vibration and the gas mileage seems to go down.

I like the monolever final drive but they're way overpriced right now. The twin shocks work the same and they look classier. The ST tanks don't do it for me, the sidecovers look cheap and that plastic airbox ruins the look of the engine.

The Nikasil cylinders are famous for lasting forever. I consider them a big bonus.

I've heard many many people describe the ST as being the 'best handling air-cooled BMW' every made. I took one through the mountains a while back and I was impressed. I'd still take the /7 based on looks.

All that to say 'yeah, I agree with the other guy.' Put my money on an early '80s r80/7 or r80ST

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 12-12-2009 at 11:25 AM
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:07 AM   #7
Yarddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
What's the big deal about a salvage title? My '96 Camaro has a salvage title, and it goes down the road just fine...no problem transferring the title into my name, and I pay the registration as normal every year...

For some reason, folks get their panties in a wad about salvage titles, and I'm not sure why that is...if the vehicle is otherwise good and legal, who cares if it got ripped off earlier in its life, then somebody brought it back to life? Maybe that's a reason that the price is where it's at!!! Two grand sounds like a decent price for a legal bike with all the pieces...that's what I paid for my '78 R100/7, and the aluminum was oxidized as well...but I didn't care, I bought it as a project bike, and I'm gonna black the machine out anyway!

So, don't necessarily pass on a salvage title out of hand...it's prolly no big deal, especially if the PO has a reason why that is...if, on the other hand, you're not looking for a project, then you were prolly right to pass on it, it's a lot of work to bring back oxidized aluminum...
Yarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:13 PM   #8
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 8,020
I agree with Yarddog except that it's a lot of work to bring back oxidized aluminum... It really isn't, especially if you do it a bit at a time and know the drill.

So how much are you willing to spend? What sort of riding do you want to do on this airhead? Do you like working on your bikes?

Everyone has his favorite, and for different or similar reasons, but they're all wonderful bikes - 1970 all the way to 1995. It's just important to narrow down what qualities and characteristics are important to you.

Then we could recommend which machines would be a match.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:32 PM   #9
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin
Can o worms
Yep.

FWIW, I like mine. '74 /6's.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:07 AM   #10
rhys OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,661
Okay.... fair enough. I'll try to narrow down what I want, though I will not limit myself to "want" alone:

I'm a really short guy, so the red LS650 with it's white wheels was the NEXT Beemer I lusted for (after the blue toaster). They have a cult following though and fetch top dollar.

I've heard the 800cc was an all time "best"..... and if I had the money, the original (little) 800GS would have already been in my garage. I still regret not getting the phone number of a gentleman I ran into at Lick Observatory considering the departure with his cherry 800Gs.

Then I was at A&S in Roseville, Kali' and spied something called a Mystic...... OHMYGOD! I'm a bit of an odd fellow and like 'different'; I fell in love with it. Then the salesman pointed to a gal on the other end of the parking lot who just bought it from them. I've been looking for one since.

Now..... I'm not made of money; I live in a foreclosure capital of the Nation, Stockton, CA.... and owe twice as much on my house than it's worth, and I'm a year from retiring. Women don't date short fat white boys who have little money, so I spend all my money on THE hobby, motorcycles (and marksmanship, photography, zymergy, cigars, etc.).

The salvage title Beemer I looked at is not out of the race, a little CAT tractor flat black, give it to The Frame Man to check out the frame, bar-end mirrors, a retro half helmet, gauntlet gloves, and an attitude..... and go RIDE.

BUT..... what of year models before I buy?
And you guys gave me the answer I was looking for. Y'all seem to agree that early 80's is a good airhead to point myself toward.

Do I like to wrench?...... yeah, minor stuff. I'm more of a rider not a wrench. But I have an '08 Bandit bagger as my means of trouble-free miles, so a little wrench'n is to be expected on whatever airhead graces my garage.
rhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:59 AM   #11
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,860
This place is a great resource for information, and there are a few of us who are relatively close by. I'd be willing to lend a hand or impart what knowledge is rattling around in my head. I've also got a few of the specific Airhead tools and a garage if you need to do some in-depth stuff.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:55 PM   #12
Kismet
vagrant philosopher

Oddometer: 387
fine.

R 75-80-100 /7

Have fun.

Be safe.

'75 R90/6
'78 R100/7, well really, R80/7
'87 Radian/fj600
'81 C70--IT'S ALIVE !!!!
Kismet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:11 AM   #13
newride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude
Yep.

FWIW, I like mine. '74 /6's.

I am biased, but I think R90's are pretty sweet bikes.

Hey Crazy D D,
what tires are those?
Sorry, Highjack over.

My moto blog: http://jbloggie1.blogspot.com/
newride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:41 AM   #14
RydinFool
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Don't Do It Rhys

You sounded just like me. In the day, the only motorcycles you could ride forever without having to fix them all the time were BMW's. But, they like Harleys were way out of my price range. Now I am an old fart, I finally bought one. An R80. That led to an R60, an R75, and two other R80's. BMW (airheads) are more addicting than crack. I have reduced the flock to two R80's. One is a GS and the other is being restored as a Cafe racer. I don't know how picky you are. I like pretty, but my GS is a rider, so it's not beautiful until you get on it and start riding. My experience is short lived, I have only been doing the BMW thing for about three years, but there is a lot of support out there. Check out the BMW airhead site. It really doesn't matter what airhead you buy, there isn't anything like it. I have a bunch of bikes and love them all, but the BMW's are special. Good luck out there. Just in passing, I know where there is a R75 Toaster, (1974) that runs really sweet. Cosmetically needs a little work, but almost anything that age needs something cosmetically.
IBA #33670
Wee Strom, HD Electra Glide, KLR 650, Triumph Bonneville, 86 BMW R80 cafe racer, 1986 HD Wide Glide- the last one with a kickstart, 1987 BMW R80RT, Suzuki DR 350
RydinFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:28 AM   #15
IHWillys
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarddog
What's the big deal about a salvage title? ...
Here in Colorado, a salvage title cannot be registered. To get a registration on a vehicle with a salvage title one has to jump through a few legal hoops as evidenced by this list:

>>>
* Fill out a Salvage Title Statement of Fact. This form requests declaration of the methods and parts used to transform the vehicle into a condition deemed acceptable to drive on Colorado roads.

* On the salvage title, sign off in the provided area attesting to the vehicle being roadworthy.

* As stated by Colorado law, the words "Rebuilt From Salvage" are required to be etched or stamped onto the vehicle in letters 1/4 inch high or larger. On most motor vehicles, the proper spot is the post to which the driver's door fastens.

* Have the vehicle inspected (fee of $20 for this service) and a Verification of Vehicle Identification Number completed by a law enforcement officer. Contact your local title and registration office for a referral(Colorado State Patrol, by appointment only with limited dates/time slots here in northern Colorado). An inspection must be less than one year old.

* Bring all of the forms, receipts for parts, and inspection approval to the title and registration office to complete the application process.
<<<

So, one can see that a salvage title is not as desirable here in Colorado. As far as convenience of getting a "real" title it is hardly any better than "no title", though no surety bond requirement is a plus.

Also, it was salvaged for a reason and that may have involved significant damage. Some damage can be laborious to determine it's presence or severity.

I want an R80ST. A tight budget meant I couldn't get one for sale in Denver this past summer, but someone got a good deal on a very nice one.

Ken
IHWillys is offline   Reply With Quote